Honorary Titles?

OP
R

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had a student once who went to Sooner State Games. He was 4th out of 5 in forms and they gave 2 - 3rds. He got a gold in sparring as he was the only one in his division and they had a created fight with a kid in a lower weight division (40 pounds later) just to give them a fight, he lost and got a silver. The newspaper article his parents had written and this was in the Tulsa paper was that Junior was headed for the Olympics after taking a Gold, Silver and Bronze at the Sooner State Games.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a student once who went to Sooner State Games. He was 4th out of 5 in forms and they gave 2 - 3rds. He got a gold in sparring as he was the only one in his division and they had a created fight with a kid in a lower weight division (40 pounds later) just to give them a fight, he lost and got a silver. The newspaper article his parents had written and this was in the Tulsa paper was that Junior was headed for the Olympics after taking a Gold, Silver and Bronze at the Sooner State Games.

well, you can always say he came in at honorable 2nd, while the other team/competitor made 2nd to last. :lol: and that was an old time spin. And before you ask, yes, it was done.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of "World <Insert Federation Here> Champion" on uniforms where the federation was one created by the school owner. The only people in the federation came from their school. It might be technically correct but it is very misleading.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well my students do not take medals and we do not do expedition matches. They ether have people or they move up to the next division or age group so they do. Two years ago at AAU national my mid belt 78lb girl had no one so we moved her up to the advance division which had five and she came home with the silver won one lost the next. Trish had to help put her jaw back because it got a little dis-conected by the parents was all good. Like they said did not spend $2000 to be given a medal. Gotta love parents like that.

As far as USAT I believe what they are trying to do might be good but they way it is presented by this instructor and the paper is totally wrong. He will never be team captain because he will never be on the team.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of "World <Insert Federation Here> Champion" on uniforms where the federation was one created by the school owner. The only people in the federation came from their school. It might be technically correct but it is very misleading.

No different than the World Series. We tend to exaggerate in the US.

But y'all are breaking my heart! Are you trying to tell me that my 2nd place at the ITA International/World tournament was no good?
:lfao:

OP
R

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just found out that last night at the town hall meeting, CEO Eric Parthen announced he had sold 5 of these Honorary titles, but won't say how much USAT collected for them.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the jr. Pan ams in vegas the now.re were 16 jr athletes and 14 "us jr. National team coaches". They all had on the usat nat team coach warm ups. Interesting that the majority were from peak performance and they all have websites that say "national team coach" now. Total bs. Glad that they will clean house in the coaching dept. After london.

Latest Discussions