Holy sore legs Batman!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, I thought mt legs are in pretty good shape. I mean I climb ladders most days, all day. Last night I got to play Uke (Japanese for "punching bag" or at least it should be) for almost 3 hours straight. Even after all the training I've done over the years, my legs feel like they are going to explode. Sore? Oh yeah. What types of leg exercise do y'all do to keep this from happening? I am open to any and all suggestions.

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My MAIN form of leg excercise is hindu squats, I usually find the longest song on my iPod and pick that song and I do hindu squats to that song. (the longest song is 12 minutes) and if for some reason that is not working for me, I do those then I do Squatting front kicks for 3 minutes

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Mantis, the exercises he mentioned are great! I would personally add lunging squats, I find that they work wonders for me. Above all stretch, so many people seem to take stretching for granted, but it can really save you a lot of time and pain if you take a few minutes throughout the entire day to stretch!

Cheers!

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Stretches are amazing, I love them, I constantly find myself sitting in some way that stretches me lol.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I thought mt legs are in pretty good shape. I mean I climb ladders most days, all day. Last night I got to play Uke (Japanese for "punching bag" or at least it should be) for almost 3 hours straight. Even after all the training I've done over the years, my legs feel like they are going to explode. Sore? Oh yeah. What types of leg exercise do y'all do to keep this from happening? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Be uke more often! :D

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drink lots of water and eat a **** load of bananas (for the potasium). This will help with soreness. As for excersises do wall sits or a huge number of reps of free squats, leg extensions and curls (by free I mean no weight) this will help.

B

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Be uke more often! :D

I usually am for one class, but Wednesday night it was uke for somebody getting ready for his demo, then class, then another few minutes for the Instructor to check out the techniques the guy picked for his demo, just to tweak something if needed. About an extra 1 1/2 extra hours and it made a big difference. It all added up to some damn sore legs. Loved every minute of it though. I LOVE to be uke for peoples demos, and being 6'2" and about 225# I tend to get picked a lot.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Our legs (thighs) are the largest muscles in the human body (others may have them else where)

There are fast/slow twitch mucsles, and many other connect to the bigger ones...all these need to be work.

Chooseing just one or two excercise is OK...but the more different ones you can do to work your leg areas....maybe better in the long run. (run?)

Simple squats are great, lunges works different muscle groups, jumping rope, parometics leg excercises (see the many kinds).....can be endless...the idea is to work all of them.

Don't forget to rest too!

When you legs begin to look like a Pray mantis? ....you are well under way!

Swimming in the water is good too! ...only 2,500 miles to Hawaii from California.......Aloha ..see you soon!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually am for one class, but Wednesday night it was uke for somebody getting ready for his demo, then class, then another few minutes for the Instructor to check out the techniques the guy picked for his demo, just to tweak something if needed. About an extra 1 1/2 extra hours and it made a big difference. It all added up to some damn sore legs. Loved every minute of it though. I LOVE to be uke for peoples demos, and being 6'2" and about 225# I tend to get picked a lot.

My reply was in jest! :D I figured you were uke often. I have the same happen to me often. My workout is getting my old fat *** off the ground/floor all the damn time. :p

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
My workout is getting my old fat *** off the ground/floor all the damn time. :p

Hey, I resemble that remark! By the end of the night, I would bounce off the floor and just lay there for a few. At one point, I looked at the Instructor and told him for Christmas we needed to get some mats, he laughed and said "You carry your own around on your fat butt so get up." What a rotten thing to have your younger Brother as your Instructor. Probably would be better if I didn't spend his childhood wailing on him:).

I know I spent more time in the air and on the ground than I did standing up all night.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger balm applied immediately after training (before the soreness sets in) will help quite a bit.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tiger balm applied immediately after training (before the soreness sets in) will help quite a bit.

:lfao: Funny you should say this. Just before class ended, a newly minted BB made a comment about me being a bit sore in the morning. I replied, "Dude, I'm going home and taking a Tiger Balm bath before going to bed." My legs were sore before I walked off the training floor, so it didn't do a whole lot.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lfao: Funny you should say this. Just before class ended, a newly minted BB made a comment about me being a bit sore in the morning. I replied, "Dude, I'm going home and taking a Tiger Balm bath before going to bed." My legs were sore before I walked off the training floor, so it didn't do a whole lot.
I hear you. I usually carry the stuff in the bag with my training gear. I do find it helps a lot if you apply it before you cool down from training.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually carry some as well, but I had just cleaned out the bag, and was in a hurry to get to the dojo. Forgot to toss it back in when I stuffed the Gi, training knives, and all the other crap back in before I left. You can lay money on it being in there right now though

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sore legs are just part of my life know. I am 59 yrs. old and after I finish teaching 2 - hr. long classes they hurt so much I have trouble sleeping. It's partly my fault because I still do all of the exercises and techniques with the class. I still do everything rather than sit on my butt and watch. I think I do this to a fault. I probably should be watching a little more. I just can't sit down and then wow my legs pay for it at my age. But I'm probably going to do this till I die because I love it so much.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Latest Discussions