hickory to make a short fighting stick

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a lathe and I'd like to make my own short sticks for self defense. Any ideas where to get hickory stock to make some?

Thanks,

Deaf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find yourself a good lumberyard or wood supplier that provides material for home woodworkers.

Good luck, because the good places are rare!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Specialty lumber yards. Don't look at Lowe's and generic "Home Improvement" stores.

You might want to consider spokeshave or drawknife method rather than lathe. That way you control the grain and don't have grain-runnout.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
nother idea would be to order axe or shovel handles made of hickory and then cur to length. They'd already be a good diameter as well. You can order just the handles through ay number of sources.

Peace,
Erik

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
BEcause buying axe or shovel handles is probably the best way to get hickory sticks. It'll be hard/ex[ensive to get a lumber yard to cut them for you special.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It'll be hard/ex[ensive to get a lumber yard to cut them for you special.
Which is why spokeshaving is so attractive.

Buy a largish plank, split it along the grain, then spokeshave (or even hand-plane) the proper shape. I admit that I don't have the real skill in this area (having tried it before using Ash with predictably amateur results), but I know folks who do it and do it well.

Heck, my friends over at the Modern Shillealgh Project craft their own hickory sticks using exactly this method. IMS, thier sticks are about 4' long and they shave 'em down to ~1" dia..

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
No doubt that's a fine way to go. But it takes a fair bit of practice. Personally, I'm all for the use of hand tools. I love working with wood. However, there's nothing wrong with taking a shortcut here or there. Just a matter of personal preference.

Peace,
Erik

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So are most axe handles hickory?

I now have a lead to quite a number of types of wood, but if shovel handles and axe handles are hickory, then the only real problem is thinning them down.

Now a design for a good fighting stick.

For a woman would a 1 inch diameter be to large? She's 5' 6" and in fit shape. And is 12 inches to long (or to short?)

See here in Texas you can carry an club, illegal knife (over 5.5 inches in blade length), or handgun in your car CONCEALED. She has a kid so we both thought a stick would be the thing so even if a child found it, it would be no big deal.

Thanks,

Deaf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How will she use the stick? That defines the best length.

Can she hold it and control it? If so, the stick isn't too big around or too long.

Quite honestly, if you can't already answer these questions, I'd suggest finding someone who can to teach her and help you select the proper stick.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How will she use the stick? That defines the best length.
Excellent advice. There are only about 10,000 different stick systems out there (to take a WAG), each with their own internal theories on stick size, length, and shape. Heck, I'm familiar with at least 6 different WMA Cane/Walking-Stick systems, and several it's not exactly uncommon for the prefered Cane in one system to be somewhat lacking for another.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I generally use handles - axe handles, pick handles and so on. Usually the stock is close enough to what I want that the work is mostly with abrasives. Sometimes a little judicious work with saw, router and draw-knife (I don't have a spokeshave) is required to rough it out.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I'll do is use a common dowl, cut to various lengths and diameters, and let her try them out. Find what seems to fit her hand the best and how long is to long!

Now I'm not talking about an art here. The whole purpose is so she can carry it in her car for self defense (in Texas, you can carry a illegal knife like a bowie, club, or handgun, CONCEALED, in the car without a permit.) So it has to be concealed in the car. No long sticks.

She does not want a handgun in the car nor knife because of her child. So... the stick seems the way to go. She is already a 1st dan, but she is wise enough to know she needs a 'force multiplier'. That is a weapon.

Deaf

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You might consider (or have her consider) a non round shape for the striking portion of the stick. I've seen some Philipine sticks made from cocobolo and other materials that had a kind of oval or tear shaped grip, and the striking surface was shaped more like "<>", which focuses the striking force over a smaller area, making it a more effective force multiplier.

Can the stick be metal? Is it legal for her to carry an asp in her car?

You could also go with an acrylic or nylon material http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=147& which can be a bit heavier than heavier woods (more impact).

Reaction score
BEcause buying axe or shovel handles is probably the best way to get hickory sticks. It'll be hard/ex[ensive to get a lumber yard to cut them for you special.

Oh. Well my local mega-hardware store (local as in half an hour away) stocks ready made sticks of all wood types so you can make your own axes, hoes, shovels etc. Mind, you it's the only one I know of so maybe I'm just lucky I found it.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You might consider (or have her consider) a non round shape for the striking portion of the stick. I've seen some Philipine sticks made from cocobolo and other materials that had a kind of oval or tear shaped grip, and the striking surface was shaped more like "<>", which focuses the striking force over a smaller area, making it a more effective force multiplier.

Can the stick be metal? Is it legal for her to carry an asp in her car?

You could also go with an acrylic or nylon material http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=147& which can be a bit heavier than heavier woods (more impact).

I've got an ASP but it's heavy. In Texas it says any 'club', that includes an ASP.

I think I'll go to Lowes and get one wood dowl. Cut it to 10, 12, and 14 inch lengths (past that in a car it would be hard to conceal) and see which one she perfers. Maybe the 7/8ths inch thick ones.

Might even make a couple for myself!

I'll also check out the acrylic.

Thanks,

Deaf

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I'll go to Lowes and get one wood dowl. Cut it to 10, 12, and 14 inch lengths (past that in a car it would be hard to conceal) and see which one she perfers. Maybe the 7/8ths inch thick ones.
Splintering and breaking due to grain run-out is common on turned dowels. Especially thin ones like 7/8".

They're fine for non or light contact practice but past that, not so much.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a good point. I'd probably look at something like 1 1/4" stock in that case.

Latest Discussions