Hi everyone

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to say Hi to everyone here. I just signed up today. I don't know if this is the place to post this but I was wondering what everyones favorite Martial Arts movie is. I don't know about you but movies like Best of the Best were a big influence on me when I was a child. It's one of many reasons I started TKD. What about you people??

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MT!

I started watching MA movies with Bruce Lee, then on to Chuck Norris. They got much sillier with people like Van Damme, although I watched them, they were not realistic. I did however like the early Seagal movies. Finally a bit of realism, if he popped an elbow, the fight ended. Nobody jumping out of a furnace, burning from head-to-toe and fighting. I also liked the Lethal Weapon series, not only the movies, but I think it was my first experience watching Jet Li.

I think I covered about all of them ...

Again, welcome and enjoy.

OP
tkd_Jaz

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MT!

I started watching MA movies with Bruce Lee, then on to Chuck Norris. They got much sillier with people like Van Damme, although I watched them, they were not realistic. I did however like the early Seagal movies. Finally a bit of realism, if he popped an elbow, the fight ended. Nobody jumping out of a furnace, burning from head-to-toe and fighting. I also liked the Lethal Weapon series, not only the movies, but I think it was my first experience watching Jet Li.

I think I covered about all of them ...

Again, welcome and enjoy.
Thanks, I actually liked Van Damme movies. I'm amazed of how many people are not that big of fans of him. Although they were not realistic, I just liked the determination he showed in movies like kickboxer and bloodsport.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

I was a big Chuck Norris fan. My folks had one lessons at an auction for me & my best friend. Before we went I signed up, we went to the theatre next door & watched "Forced Vengance" so we'd be "in the swing of it." Each of his movies that came out after that, I'd go see after class on the Friday they opened.

I look forward to your posts!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually liked Van Damme movies. I'm amazed of how many people are not that big of fans of him. Although they were not realistic, I just liked the determination he showed in movies like kickboxer and bloodsport.

Well, "Bloodsport" I did like, that was good. Also a bit more realistic as far as the fighting. I don't think I ever saw "Kickboxer" ... can't remember.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

I wasn't actually big into MA movies as a kid... I sort of fell into TKD (okay, my then-boyfriend dragged me) - and then I fell in love with it! But I still don't watch that many MA movies, although Jackie Chan movies are usually pretty fun to watch.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Van Damme and Segeal were the big ones while I was in high school. I loved Best of the Best I, I had seen the Bruce Lee and old Chuck Norris stuff. However, I always and still to this day will watch "Born Losers and Billy Jack" first and foremost, even though I have most of Van Damme and Segeal's library on DVD or on my TIVO.

OP
tkd_Jaz

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, Van Damme and Segeal were the big ones while I was in high school. I loved Best of the Best I, I had seen the Bruce Lee and old Chuck Norris stuff. However, I always and still to this day will watch "Born Losers and Billy Jack" first and foremost, even though I have most of Van Damme and Segeal's library on DVD or on my TIVO.
Cool, Have you watched Best of the Best 2? It's almost as good as the first one. I've been collecting MA movies for a while now, I'm short only one VD movie.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool, Have you watched Best of the Best 2? It's almost as good as the first one. I've been collecting MA movies for a while now, I'm short only one VD movie.

Yeah Best of the Best II was cool. I have III on TIVO. I have never seen 4 though. Which JCVD movie are you missing?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Gees, "Billy Jack", I had forgotten all about that movie ... LOL ... I remember seeing that when it first opened.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gees, "Billy Jack", I had forgotten all about that movie ... LOL ... I remember seeing that when it first opened.

man, I've never seen a Billy Jack movie... guess I need to see what I have been missing!!

I enjoy just about anything that has martial arts in it. Best of the Best is great, just because it is one of the few TKD specific movies (and not half bad). I also am a big Jackie Chan fan, especially his really old stuff!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
man, I've never seen a Billy Jack movie... guess I need to see what I have been missing!!

I enjoy just about anything that has martial arts in it. Best of the Best is great, just because it is one of the few TKD specific movies (and not half bad). I also am a big Jackie Chan fan, especially his really old stuff!

How about Ong Bak? .. haven't seen that one mentioned ... Muay Tai movie

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome.

Yeah, Best of the Best is a good movie. I still have the theater poster hanging in my garage signed by the cast and crew.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Never seen Billy Jack?? One of my all time favs. Loved the Ice Cream shop scene.

OP
tkd_Jaz

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How about Ong Bak? .. haven't seen that one mentioned ... Muay Tai movie
Thats a cool one too. Tony Jaa is amazing. I like his movies because it shows the spiritual side of his art. It's not just kick the crap out of someone altough he does a good job at that.

OP
tkd_Jaz

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
haven't seen it yet, but heard it awesome

heard? the guy does all his own crazy stunts, no wires or anything... is it true?
Yeah if you go see "The Protector" there is a documentary in the DVD showing how he does all his stunts.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to say Hi to everyone here. I just signed up today.

I was wondering what everyones favorite Martial Arts movie is.

Hi Jaz! :wavey: Welcome to MT

Let's see.... early movie influences..... Lash LaRue, Roy Rogers, Randolph Scott, The Durango Kid.....:lol:

Actually, I began my Martial Art training at an early age so there wasn't much in the way of Martial Art influences except for Green Hornet with Bruce Lee as Kato.
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/green-hornet.htm

In my pre-teen years, I did enjoy watching the regular Kung-Fu series with David Carradine (I like the philosophy plus I favor westerns)

I never paid much attention to Bruce Lee movies as a kid. I was 11 in 71 when Fists of Fury was released. By the time Chuck Norris released Breaker Breaker in 77, I had 12 years of Martial Art study, and was working toward my Black Belt. When Good Guys Wear Black came out the following year, I was a 1st Dan Taekwondo Instructor. I tended to be more critical of the technical content in Martial Art movies than my peers.

You couldn't grow up in the 70s without hearing everyone talk about Billy Jack, and the song "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" played on the radio all the time. I do like some of the Seagal movies, and Jackie Chan is entertaining and talented. I have never been impressed with Van Damme's techniques, acting, or attitude. He is mostly "eye-candy" for the ladies with his muscles and accent, but not much of a quality Martial Artist (in my opinion).

I remember that I was not very impressed with "Best of the Best" when it came out (I have recently purchased the DVD and watched it again - it's ok). I never liked the concept that these guys were supposed to be among the best, yet they couldn't jump rope when they were selected to become the "best of the best." I do like the fact that Korea, and Taekwondo was involved but not in the best light.

Some movies have better acting, and some tell a better story although a lot of them use stunt doubles, spring boards, wire work, CGI, editing of fight scenes and other camera tricks that tend to make everyone look better than they really are (not to mention that the fight scenes are well rehearsed. I like movies like Ghost Warrior, Road House, The Body Guard, The Last Samurai .... oh yes, and let's not forget Remo Williams - - but mostly these are for entertainment.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to say Hi to everyone here. I just signed up today. I don't know if this is the place to post this but I was wondering what everyones favorite Martial Arts movie is. I don't know about you but movies like Best of the Best were a big influence on me when I was a child. It's one of many reasons I started TKD. What about you people??

I like Best of the Best, too. I also like The Karate Kid, too.

Latest Discussions