Hi everyone

RacecityUSA

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am a total noob both here and to any martial arts. 61 years old in reasonably good shape, especially for someone my age. I currently weight train and ride road bicycle along with some other sport specific training. I have recently started doing some Muay Thai inspired conditioning training to guided videos and had my second live Muay Thai gym session with an instructor last night.

I am not really sure where I will end up but Krav Maga seems like a natural direction for me, providing I can find a good Krav gym in my area.

I just signed up to this forum and have not had the chance to read any tagged posts and information yet and will get to them as I continue to walk this journey.

I appreciate any guidance y'all can provide.

Thank you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I hope you can find what you are looking for, don't limit yourself to one style when searching-you never know what you might like.

OP
R

RacecityUSA

White Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng, I have been reading a few posts and see that you looked into Krav Maga. I am interested to know your experience with KM and your recommendations. I am still searching for a reputable school in my area (Charlotte NC), and welcome any guidance and input.

Thanks in advance

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@gpseymour do you live by Charlotte?
Xue Sheng, I have been reading a few posts and see that you looked into Krav Maga. I am interested to know your experience with KM and your recommendations. I am still searching for a reputable school in my area (Charlotte NC), and welcome any guidance and input.

Thanks in advance

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour do you live by Charlotte?
About 2 hours away.

@RacecityUSA - I'd love to catch up with you sometime when I'm in the area (my mom lives in Indian Trail). I'm not real familiar with the schools in the area, but have some contacts who are better informed. If you have a school you'd like to look into, drop me a line. Which part of Charlotte are you in (you'll want something convenient to work and/or home)?

OP
R

RacecityUSA

White Belt
Reaction score
About 2 hours away.

@RacecityUSA - I'd love to catch up with you sometime when I'm in the area (my mom lives in Indian Trail). I'm not real familiar with the schools in the area, but have some contacts who are better informed. If you have a school you'd like to look into, drop me a line. Which part of Charlotte are you in (you'll want something convenient to work and/or home)?

GPSeymour. Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay as I was traveling for work. I am in Mooresville and considering Warrior Krav Maga in Huntersville. That appears to be the only Krav place around that does not look like a McDojo. Let me know when you are around this area. Would welcome the opportunity to connect with you. If you can email me that would be great or can PM you my cell. Thanks

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
GPSeymour. Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay as I was traveling for work. I am in Mooresville and considering Warrior Krav Maga in Huntersville. That appears to be the only Krav place around that does not look like a McDojo. Let me know when you are around this area. Would welcome the opportunity to connect with you. If you can email me that would be great or can PM you my cell. Thanks

Krav is a great choice if you don't care about realism at all. I hear they do some fun activities.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM me your contact info. It looks like I'm going to pick up a client project in Salisbury, so will probably be in the Charlotte area a bit in September/October. I'll reach out to some folks and see if anyone is familiar with that school.

In any case, of course, you'll want to visit the school and watch some classes, then a trial class or two.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
How long did you train in Krav Maga?
I haven't.why would that matter? I don't need to do it myself to recognise the fact krav doesn't produce skilled fighters. This isn't a secret.

I also don't need to push a shopping cart around for a day to realize it isn't a car.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't.why would that matter? I don't need to do it myself to recognise the fact krav doesn't produce skilled fighters. This isn't a secret.

I also don't need to push a shopping cart around for a day to realize it isn't a car.

It matters because you have not trained in it, in your opinion it is not a good art.in reality you are only guessing, or relaying a decision you came to, with no informed authority.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. Name me one professional fighter that uses krav maga to get the job done. Or does it only work in 'da streetzzzz'?
Bas rutten is a big advocate of Krav Maga and qualified instructor. And yes because the philosophy of Krav Maga is defend an attack and escape. If you can escape run, if you can't then get separation and then run. If you can't then hit the groin, gouge the eyes anything that works. There is nothing in Mma or any of that that isn't in Krav Maga. Krav Maga has all the punches in boxing, all the kicks and knees of Muay Thai and it has takedowns, takedown defences, ground escapes and submissions and submission defences.

You really are making yourself look like a YouTube warrior more and more

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am a total noob both here and to any martial arts. 61 years old in reasonably good shape, especially for someone my age. I currently weight train and ride road bicycle along with some other sport specific training. I have recently started doing some Muay Thai inspired conditioning training to guided videos and had my second live Muay Thai gym session with an instructor last night.

I am not really sure where I will end up but Krav Maga seems like a natural direction for me, providing I can find a good Krav gym in my area.

I just signed up to this forum and have not had the chance to read any tagged posts and information yet and will get to them as I continue to walk this journey.

I appreciate any guidance y'all can provide.

Thank you.
Ignore the guy with 0 experience. No Krav Maga is not going to make you a UFC champion but it will teach you how to defend yourself. Im a former boxer, kickboxer, Muay Thai fighter and Mma fighter and train in bjj and Krav Maga has taught me a billion times more about self defence than any of those. Anyone of any age can apply the skills and teaches you a huge range of defences against punches, kicks, chokes, knife attacks, gun threats, ground defence, attacks from behind, attacks from the side and attacks from multiple people.

Of course there's some bad schools but Find a good one you'll be training hard. My club I train is just as intense as any fight gym and spars regularly on the feet and on the ground and against multiple people.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bas rutten is a big advocate of Krav Maga and qualified instructor. And yes because the philosophy of Krav Maga is defend an attack and escape. If you can escape run, if you can't then get separation and then run. If you can't then hit the groin, gouge the eyes anything that works. There is nothing in Mma or any of that that isn't in Krav Maga. Krav Maga has all the punches in boxing, all the kicks and knees of Muay Thai and it has takedowns, takedown defences, ground escapes and submissions and submission defences.

You really are making yourself look like a YouTube warrior more and more
Yes, I recognize BS and require actual evidence to arrive at conclusions, so I must be a 'youtube warrior' (even though I don't have a YouTube)

Wouldn't a YouTube warrior be someone that name calls instead of focussing on the actual topic, as per your mo?

Latest Discussions