Hey i am thinking of joining wrestling.

OP
J

J-kid

Lol thats the school i am going to i talked to him and he asked if i posted as Judo-kid online, Lol.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Before submission wrestling, I suggest you study collegiate first.

Reasons for doing so is that wrestling in high school in the state of Washington only costs $20. Also, you get a basic feel on everything and even learn some moves that can lead to submissions like certain arm bars, etc. Once you get an overall knowledge on the basics, then submission wrestling will come a LOT easier and you will learn more for your money because you won't be wasting time with the basics you've already learned and the attributes you have already gained.

OP
J

J-kid

I cant (i missed wrestling season because of night classes that i dicided to take.)
But submission is good to do with judo jujutsu.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I cant (i missed wrestling season because of night classes that i dicided to take.)
But submission is good to do with judo jujutsu.
I agree, and it's totally understandable you couldn't wrestle because of night classes

But next year, if you have time, think about wrestling. You learn a lot for $20 and you get a hell of a lot of conditioning out of it as a high schooler

OP
T

tapoutapout

I have an opposite opinion about your wrestling than the other user: one of the reasons the machados and the gracies are as good as they are is that they never had to "unlearn" a lot of stuff. they did not learn the collegiate or scholastic stlyle of wrestling and then have to unlearn it later...which takes time and lost moments in calculations in making a split decision. imagine years and years of practice where you always go to a base of being on all 4's: your knees on the ground and your palms on the ground.....and then finding out in submission wrestling and mma that this is THE worst position to be in during a fight...worse than the someone in mount position on you. once you are made aware of this fact when you start wrestling, you would still have a natural reaction to go to that base position...which could cost you in a fight with the lost second it took you to recalculate your move!
I am pro highschool scholastic collegiate wrestling and all the other forms as well. you CAN gain alot from those styles. Just remember: it is not practice that makes perfect, it is perfect practice that makes perfect! and if you are in the heat of battle someday, you want to have all the "perfect" repetition and practice that you can!
I am only presenting a different opinion. it is not right or wrong: after all, look at all the fantastic fighters who were former collegiate wrestlers: dan severn, mark coleman, mark kerr, matt humes, etc....

OP
M

MartialArtist

I find it very easy to make the transaction.

You just got to be a bit smarter than the normal dumb man. Any grappler knows not to do certain moves on the street that he can do on the mat, and it's the person's responsibility to do the same. Nobody goes to a base in a real fight I gurantee you that.

A lot of wrestlers also find the switch very easy. You really don't need that much practice to get the hang of it, you just need to understand the principles.

A lot of high school wrestlers who went on to college and later, pro wrestling (Olympics, etc.) found the switch from collegiate to freestyle or greco-roman very easy. That's beause the basic ideas on clearing, controlling, and takedowns are still there. A lot of people even find the switch from collegiate wrestling to combat wrestling such as shuai chiao or catch-as-can very easy. Almost every US Olympian in freestyle or greco-roman wrestled collegiate at college.

Another reason the switch is easy is that you get more into painful techniques. In collegiate, you have arm bars, but you just can't finish on it in terms of a submission move. In freestyle, it's the same exact technique. The only difference is that you bring it up to cause more pain.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a fact that Both Rolls & Riskson
Have Both Competed In Wrestling as Well As Rigan Machado.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he has a point--collegiate wrestling does train you to "give him your back" and that's a habit that would have to be left behind. On the otehr hand I suspect the advantages of wrestling training outweigh the disadvantages.

OP
T

tapoutapout

i suppose it could happen, but my point was that they DID NOT train as collegiate style wrestlers. my point i am making is simple: if a young man has the chance to start off in submission wrestling or collegiate wrestling, SUBMISSION WRESTLING is the obvious and most practical. besides being practical with it's self-defense aspect, there are more avenues to explore i.e. jobs, money, prestige, your own business.
if you stay in collegiate style, you could win a championship and or become a coach....if you wanted to fight, you would still have to take up SUBMISSION.
again this issue is about starting collegiate style v. submission style...we are not talking about MUAY THAI, BOXING, etc...

What if i said it would not make a difference if a troop went to 6 weeks of airforce basic and then later decided to go to 12 weeks of marine basic training. it be difficult to say that the troop that went to airforce basic could easily make the transition to marine basic.....it would be ridiculous because air basic is mainly classroom work where marine basic is TOUGH STUFF!

OP
J

JDenz

I don't know how current you are on todays MMA but they give there back all the time now. Same thing in Judo, and in Bjj at the high levels.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Frank Shamrock Gave His Back to Tito,Ken to Kimo

I My self Gave My Back Up in MMA
Fight against a BJJ Fighter
As He Tried to Set a Hook
I Did a Forward Roll Gained 2 on 1
& Submited him With a kneelock (inside Heel hook/kneebar)

Now i to prefer Submisson Wrestling
& Yes it is Dangerous to give Your Back to anyone
But it can also be a way Out.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by tapoutapout
i suppose it could happen, but my point was that they DID NOT train as collegiate style wrestlers. my point i am making is simple: if a young man has the chance to start off in submission wrestling or collegiate wrestling, SUBMISSION WRESTLING is the obvious and most practical. besides being practical with it's self-defense aspect, there are more avenues to explore i.e. jobs, money, prestige, your own business.
if you stay in collegiate style, you could win a championship and or become a coach....if you wanted to fight, you would still have to take up SUBMISSION.
again this issue is about starting collegiate style v. submission style...we are not talking about MUAY THAI, BOXING, etc...

What if i said it would not make a difference if a troop went to 6 weeks of airforce basic and then later decided to go to 12 weeks of marine basic training. it be difficult to say that the troop that went to airforce basic could easily make the transition to marine basic.....it would be ridiculous because air basic is mainly classroom work where marine basic is TOUGH STUFF!
Like I said, a lot of Olympians and combat wrestlers have started out their careers in the humble collegiate wrestling.

I haven't met any collegiate coach who didn't also know freestyle or greco-roman. My wrestling coach in college was a catch-as-can wrestler also.

And believe me, if you're smart enough, anyone can make you tap out with some basic ideas. Actually, you train how to make people tap out by NOT making people tap out. I remember constantly that for certain moves, you weren't allowed to do this and that because it was illegal hence it hurts. Like an arm bar, you weren't allowed to bring it up. "Okay, in a fight though, I'll bring it up" was the mentality of everyone there. You learn what's illegal and what isn't, but you learn what's illegal so you won't do it.

Latest Discussions