hey guys i could use some input

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steel Tiger it is interesting you should say that because taiji and aikido were the first things I looked into. The Taiji classes in this area seem to be mostly just beginner classes with no advancement into the martial aspects of the art. While I know you have to start at the beginning I just felt that I needed instruction from someone that truly knows what they are teaching (if I have insulted anyone I apologize for any ignorance on my part). Also the nearest Aikido instructor that I could find was over an hours drive away and not really feasible with my current crazy schedule. Aikido is still a very viable option as there are a number of schools in the area I'm moving to. The joint locks and throws are something that appeal to me but the more I looked into it the more I wondered how my wrist and shoulder would weather the repeated practising of the moves necessary to learn. If you could give me some insight on this I would appreciate it.

When I read through your list of injuries the one that really jumped out was the shoulder/collar bone. Its easy enough to avoid a punch in the stomach through the choice of art, but having difficulty rotating your shoulder makes things really tough.

I suggested internal arts because there is less likelihood of aggravating an abdominal injury, but with a stuffed shoulder Aikido might not be the best either. There are a lot of movements that involve a full rotation of the shoulder. What about taiji, bagua, xingyi? Are any of those in your area?

As to weapon arts, if you have a problem with your wrist then you might find arnis/escrima/kali a little difficult but still worth a look.

OP
B

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Steel Tiger, After doing some research on the web it seems like there are alot of Taiji schools in the area i'm moving to but not much in Bagua and no mention of Xing yi. The Bagua classes are mostly higher level classes offered by only a few teachers in the area( that I could find anyway). As a massage therapist I am more in tune with chi than most non-MAists and have always wanted to learn more. At this time my mindset is more focused on external styles. My recent exertions in the gym has seemed to give me a taste for more physical activity(although my body may have something to say about that!). Perhaps if I learned Taiji in concunction with another style I could satisfy both sides of my personality. I think I will start taking American Kenpo classes with my friend first and just follow my heart after that.
Thank you and the others for all your advice and i'm sure i'll be back soon to ask for more( MAN!! it's going to be a long 2 weeks til I get there).
Scott B.

Latest Discussions