Hey Fatty... Quit Teaching our Kids...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.ktvu.com/education/4322022/detail.html

A state lawmaker has suggested Hawaii's public schoolteachers be forced to weigh in as part of the fight against obesity in students, KITV in Honolulu reported.

State Rep. Rida Cabanilla introduced a resolution in the house requesting that the Board of Education establish an obesity database among public schoolteachers.
Uh... Uh... What the hell? I think thats pretty damn stupid myself... what do you think?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Parents need to quit blaming society for THEIR mistakes. So by this idea its bad to be obese but ok to discriminate against those who are? This is the message parents want to send their kids?!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG, this is an unbelievable quote:

"As a matter of fact, we should start at home, but since the legislature has no way to regulate homes, we can at least start in school," Cabanilla said. "And teachers have a lot of impact to these students."

I am speechless, this is so asinine..

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unbelievable. This is Hitleresque.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think I ever thought of a teachers size as having anything to do with their ability to teach me or my children. Sounds very close to being descrimination against someone because of their "culinary orientation".

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the only teacher where their weight "might" matter in their ability to do their job is the gym teacher, if the gym teacher isn't active then bad example. But this proposal is just awful and I would think count as an invasion of privacy. I hate the fact that politicians keep getting involved like this. It is hard enough being a kid if you are in anyway different from whomever is considered popular, fat included. Now these politicians just keep drawing more attention to it, not really doing much that would help the problem and saying how bad it is, making it worse for the kids who are overweight. Just another example of how politicians will do anything other than tackle real problems of the states and country...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guess it depends on what the teacher is trying to teach... it is kinda hypocritical for a 300lbs teacher that takes the elevator to the second floor every day and has a "supersized McDonalds" meal for lunch everyday to be teaching health, fitness and nutrition classes...

But for academics?

Yes, they "should" set an example and live healthy lifestyles, but to force that as part of the job requirements is silly...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well being considered Obese by Obesity.org, because my BMI is 33 or greater.

They move the calculator around search the site and you should be able to find it.

Yet, as my BMI is high I am obese, yet, I only have 18-20% body fat so I am in the healthy area for my age group, which is 15-20%.

So, I can see that this cannot be executed for they do not consider health an issue, only mass.

Personally I do not think it is an issue, as long as the person can do their job and teach. It still requires the students willing participation for it to be called education.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
<cue music; Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" >
You gotta love the stupiditity of the people we put/vote into political office. Never mind that they were stupid before they put their names on the ballots but the fact that WE voted for these idjits and then a couple months or a year later they come up with these idiotic proposals.
Hawaii... where the native people look at obesisity as a matter of cultural pride. I've a few friends who are of the island races (Hawaiian, Tongan, Samoan etc.) and they're great people. Warm and beautiful.
Oh boy, this... this just doesn't surprize me at all... laughable at best, enough to make you cry at it's worse.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Guess it depends on what the teacher is trying to teach... it is kinda hypocritical for a 300lbs teacher that takes the elevator to the second floor every day and has a "supersized McDonalds" meal for lunch everyday to be teaching health, fitness and nutrition classes...

But for academics?

Yes, they "should" set an example and live healthy lifestyles, but to force that as part of the job requirements is silly...
Just wondering....
It may be hypocritical but does it make that person a bad teacher? Does it no longer mean the material being taught is no longer valid?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Hey, hey....used the calculator...I'm obese too...
Ditto here, doesn't really take into account muscle mass that calculator does it, I am pretty sure anyone who knows me would say I am pretty damn far from obese.
As for regulating teacher's weight... Are you kidding me?
By the Body Mass Index calcualtions most of the Island folk I have met would be obese, but I'm not sure I would want to say that to the Fiji rugby players I met once...

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is just stupid.

It will never go through anyway. The lawyers will have a field day with this if a teacher actually gets fired for being too fat.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Just wondering....
It may be hypocritical but does it make that person a bad teacher? Does it no longer mean the material being taught is no longer valid?
I'd expect a math teacher to be good at math.

I'd expect a English teacher to be good at English.

I'd expect a health teacher to be healthy.

It may not effect the validity of the material, but it does effect how well it will be picked up. Part of being a leader is leading by example.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Part of being a leader is leading by example.
Someone should tell this to the people making this into an issue.

Have they nothing better to do? For crying out loud, there must be some other issue out there that takes precedence over obesity.

Someone said "Hitleresque", no kidding. Why is this approach even being considered? How about educating people on the positive benefits of good health? Other than that, let them make their own choices. We should mandate the body style of our citizens? This is wrong in so many ways.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely stupid idea.

Nice way to try to legislate body weight - how utterly bizarre.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe there should be a weight standard for public office too then.....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
http://www.ktvu.com/education/4322022/detail.html

Uh... Uh... What the hell? I think thats pretty damn stupid myself... what do you think?

That does not really do anything to solve the problem, but it does make it look like something is actually being done. And, heck its cheap.

A far better solution is to require our students to take more physical education...

Yeah, it will cost a little more right now, but in the long run, when people are healthier as adults, it will save a tenfold amount.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
That does not really do anything to solve the problem, but it does make it look like something is actually being done. And, heck its cheap.

A far better solution is to require our students to take more physical education...

Yeah, it will cost a little more right now, but in the long run, when people are healthier as adults, it will save a tenfold amount.
Measure health by blood pressure, Heart rate, body fat percentage, ht/wt charts in COMBINATION instead of simply saying "your fat...unhealthy"

One of the BEST things to do for a school is to invest in the cafeteria so that the snack machines, lunch choices AND juice/soda machines promote this 'healthy' propaganda that is getting so much lip service.

Healthy menus are expensive to keep...more expensive than writing up a statement like this.

From what I see, teens don't eat enough greens/veggies, drink enough water and get enough sleep to be at their best. I have a lovely, polite and sports active student that was just diagnosed with kidney stones. She says that she 'hates water' and only drank soda and juice (more soda than juice)....where are the parents on that crap! Sounds petty to tell a 15-17 year old "Get a glass of water" but I would rather that than foot the medical bills her parents are facing now.