hey everyone

J

JannaB

Hey guys! I just moved to LA from the Midwest for college, and I decided to get a Martial Talk account to stay in touch with my old school and motivate myself to stay involved in martial arts depsite a hectic schedule. I've already found a girl on my dorm floor who is a black belt in TKD, so we're looking into the martial arts scene together. I'm sooo excited!

~Janna

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Janna! Happy Posting! Hope you find a great place to train during college. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Janna! Enjoy your stay! :ultracool

Mike

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
[Warning! Random movie reference:] Welcome, Dorthy! ...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. [end random reference]

...and welcome to you to Janna!!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JannaB said:
Hey guys! I just moved to LA from the Midwest for college, and I decided to get a Martial Talk account to stay in touch with my old school and motivate myself to stay involved in martial arts depsite a hectic schedule. I've already found a girl on my dorm floor who is a black belt in TKD, so we're looking into the martial arts scene together. I'm sooo excited!

~Janna
Welcome to MT!

Good luck with your college studies. If you haven't yet fulfilled your Physical Education requirement, you might consider taking Judo (if they offer it) or some other martial arts or MA related class. Also, many colleges now have TKD clubs as well.

I may be preaching to the choir here - I don't know where in the midwest you are from - but L.A. and other large cities are a whole different creature when it comes to personal safety. I remember that years ago when I spent a summer in NYC with my sister, she had to constantly remind me that I was not in a small town and that I had to take safety on the Subway and on the street (including more vehicle traffic) more seriously than I had in Sacramento.

Hope everything goes well for you at your new school. What major are you studying?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome, btw they always offer some sort of martial arts classes in college. You may want to check up on that in your school, as you can take the classes for credit usually.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to echo what others said, if you are at a reasonably well sized college, you should not have difficulty finding some good MA. My school offers Karate as a course as well as a "general self defense" course. We also have Aikido and TKD clubs. I found some black belts in various arts just from going to a few classes. Might be able to find someone teaching informally. Its a great way to make connections.

LA is sure to have tons of schools. You should be able to find just about any style you would be interested in. Have fun! College can be a really fun experience :)

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:) Hi Janna nice to have you here! Good luck finding a new place to study.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are you in the midwest...roughly...I might be able to recommend some schools in your area...

OP
J

JannaB

Thanks guys! Okay so my school offers TKD, Ninjitsu, Kung Fu, and Aikido for $100/year each. There are 96 classes/year for TKD and Aikido, and 64 classes/year in Ninjitsu and Kung Fu. That comes to a grand total of $1.56/class or $1.04. The price is soooo right!

At that price I can do two different arts and train five days a week. I'm going to continue with TKD, but does anyone have any suggestions about which of the other three I should take? I was told that Ninjitsu is the most intense and also the most practical. Anybody second that?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll amend what "Still Learning" said by saying what my Jewish/Hawaiian friends say, "Shaloha."

Welcome to MT. I look forward to seeing your contributions here. Heard something somewhere about you being a writer....

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions