Hey Caver...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tis is interesting and nicely written and yeah I agree with his points.
He is right about the initial investment (which can run up as high as $300.00) but the stuff (if cared for properly -- natch) can last for YEARS. Some of my gear is well over 10 years old and I still trust my (and others) life to it.

Nice link... thanks for sharing there Cryo :asian:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tis is interesting and nicely written and yeah I agree with his points.
He is right about the initial investment (which can run up as high as $300.00) but the stuff (if cared for properly -- natch) can last for YEARS. Some of my gear is well over 10 years old and I still trust my (and others) life to it.

Nice link... thanks for sharing there Cryo :asian:

No problem...

I don't think 300 is much for gear, think about a lot of activities and how much good equipment can cost... Golf, Tennis, Heck, I think my initial foray into rock climbing was almost 200, and I didn't have to buy any top roping equipment or ropes, because my friend already bought those. I just needed Shoes, a handful of locking carabiners and a harness...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No problem...

I don't think 300 is much for gear, think about a lot of activities and how much good equipment can cost... Golf, Tennis, Heck, I think my initial foray into rock climbing was almost 200, and I didn't have to buy any top roping equipment or ropes, because my friend already bought those. I just needed Shoes, a handful of locking carabiners and a harness...
True, $300 isn't much and that is just the basic stuff. Because it practically pays for itself it's actually a steal.
Only problem is finding time after a while. Then the stuff starts collecting dust unless you're an avid caver and go out whenever possible.

I ... USED to be like that... I hope to again someday... *sigh* ... when life isn't in the way too much. :uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool article!

I wish I could hike year round for $300. I'm looking at what winter gear goes for and I'm going in to sticker shock.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cool article!

I wish I could hike year round for $300. I'm looking at what winter gear goes for and I'm going in to sticker shock.
Well understand Carol, with me I bought my gear one piece at a time. You could do the same... sort of save up a little to buy this and then a little to buy that... buy them one at a time than all at once.

Army-Navy stores do sell good winterized gear so there's another option to look at... particularly long underwear... for what they're intended it's pretty cheap.
That and wool socks... find the most amount of wool you can on a good pair of socks and there ya go.

Latest Discussions