Hero to downtrodden millionaires: White backs Tiger

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-14-2009 05:25 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-755193988-1260825092.jpg
Dana White is an in-your-face guy so if he has something that's eating away at him, he's going to tell you whether you like it or not. He did so back in August backing dog-fighting NFL quarterback Michael Vick.

"I hope Michael Vick wins the Super Bowl, makes $3 billion and is the greatest comeback story in the history of sports, man,&rdquo; White told Yahoo! Sports Kevin Iole before UFC 102 in August. &ldquo;When are they going to stop crucifying this [expletive] guy?"

On Saturday night, White expressed similar sentiments for Wilson Gouveia over the media coverage of Tiger Woods and his infidelity.

"Leave Tiger Woods alone. What he does at home is his business. Or anywhere else," White smirked.

White, a devoted married family man himself with three children, elaborated by calling Jesper Parnevik, the PGA's most outspoken critic of Tiger's womanizing, a douchebag.

"That guy's a two-faced jackass. You think Tiger's wife [Elin Nordgren] was upset that he introduced them? I doubt it."

White said he had been thinking about Tiger's "plight" the last few days and decided to throw on a Tiger Woods' hat:

"I don't even watch the news or listen to anything and I'm hearing it. It just gets old. Leave the kid alone. We love to build people up in this country and tear'em down."

White may want to watch the news and do a little more research on Tiger. It's hard to convince me that he's been mistreated or that it's not a story. He allegedly stepped out on his wife with as many as 10 or more women. That sort of dashes the clean-cut image he built over the years which included a book by his father titled, "Training a Tiger: A Father's Guide to Raising a Winner in Both Golf and Life." He was paid millions by several companies to pitch their product with many of the sales campaigns built around Tiger's integrity, class and dedication.

On Vick, White said the QB had paid his dues by going to jail for nearly two years. What penalty has Tiger paid? It's also a big leap of faith to suggest Tiger's wife Elin should be happy to have met her husband even after being embarrassed worldwide for the last week and for the foreseeable future. No one here is saying adultery is a crime punishable by death. It's seems to be rampant among high powered celebrities, politicians and athletes but to suggest Tiger is somehow a victim in this situation is ridiculous.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tiger is a total jerk for what he did but as dana said, it's his business. No one is forcing anyone to buy tiger products. If what he did matters to you then don't support him. Regardless the last thing that his FAMILY needs now is a ton of press. (including me posting about it on a martial arts forum) :)

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love it when people exercise their right to screw up, and then other people exercise their right to free speech and judge.

Americans love to do that! Screw baseball, Media Smack-Talking is the new national past time.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm.... unfortunately Dana has a point.

Americans do seem to enjoy building people up to ultra-celebrity status and then tearing them down, all the while enjoying the chaos and calamity.

I get the impression that this sort of thing is rare in other countries. Not the scandle, but the process itself.

So... what does that say about us?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Other countries replace celebrity with religion, politics, and/or government.

Everyone has a cause, which they build up, throw their hope into, and demolish when things don't go along their purported moral lines.

Americans, in general, are insulated enough from the woes of the outside world (and consumer savvy enough to spread that attention not among a deity or religious faction or government) to focus their energies on the what's right in front of them: their televisions and internet connections. Who's on there? Celebrities.

Nothing new. The only unique thing is that America is exporting this Church of Celebrity all over the globe.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, did someone kidnap Tiger Woods, torture him, and hold him at gunpoint until he signed all those mega-million dollar endorsement deals? He makes something like 5 or 6 times the amount of money in endorsements than he does in golf, and he is well reputed for having a number of handlers.

Not really feeling Dana White's pity party or the whole "we're all to blame" crap. Tiger brought on his own over exposure by signing the deals he did, he brought on his own media hell by not keeping it zipped. The person that brought on Tiger Woods problems is Tiger Woods. Keep me the hell out of it.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, did someone kidnap Tiger Woods, torture him, and hold him at gunpoint until he signed all those mega-million dollar endorsement deals? He makes something like 5 or 6 times the amount of money in endorsements than he does in golf, and he is well reputed for having a number of handlers.

Not really feeling Dana White's pity party or the whole "we're all to blame" crap. Tiger brought on his own over exposure by signing the deals he did, he brought on his own media hell by not keeping it zipped. The person that brought on Tiger Woods problems is Tiger Woods. Keep me the hell out of it.

But what does it say about people when they line up to get into the coliseum to watch him get mauled by the lions 24/7 on every news channel.

He's a bum and will suffer for it. She'll get half. He'll loose endorsement deals... yadda...yadda. yadda.

I for one am tired of hearing about it. There's alot more pressing things for people to get worked up about that directly impact our lives. Too bad they don't spend as much energy on those... guess politics is too boring. LOL

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There's alot more pressing things for people to get worked up about that directly impact our lives. Too bad they don't spend as much energy on those

QFT

And I mean Quote For Truth not Quantum field theory or Quantitative Feedback Theory or Quantum Fourier Transform or Quality Family Time or Qualified Funeral Trust or Quality Face Time or Quantitative Fluorescence Technique or Quest For Tech, Inc. or Quit Freaking Talking but I guess I could also mean Quite Freaking True :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But what does it say about people when they line up to get into the coliseum to watch him get mauled by the lions 24/7 on every news channel.

He's a bum and will suffer for it. She'll get half. He'll loose endorsement deals... yadda...yadda. yadda.

I for one am tired of hearing about it. There's alot more pressing things for people to get worked up about that directly impact our lives. Too bad they don't spend as much energy on those... guess politics is too boring. LOL

How should I know? The last time the TV came on in my house was to watch the Patriots play the Panthers last week. Ask the people that actually park their butts on the couch and tune in to that crap. ;)

Latest Discussions