Here's another reason not to lose faith in humanity

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
North Station is the Boston T station that is at the Boston (TDBankNorth) Garden. It is a station for the Green Line and the Orange Line, as well as the terminus for the commuter trains that go to the northern suburbs. Its a busy place.

This evening, after a Celtics game at the Garden, a 20-something (intoxicated) woman fell off the platform on to the Orange Line tracks. Unlike the companion Green Line, the Orange Line has a 3rd rail that is electrified with a fatal voltage (600 volts, up to 1000 Amps)

An Orange Line train approached the station while the woman was still on the tracks...and appeared to be doomed. The passengers waiting stood on the edge of the platform and waved their hands frantically at the train, some pointing in to the pit.

The driver of the Orange Line train saw the gestures. Suspecting something had gone horribly wrong, she pulled the emergency brake for the train.

The train stopped. Part of the woman's body was covered by the front end of the train, but the train was able to stop before hitting her with any sort of significant force (if at all). Once the train was stoped, some of the passengers on the platform jumped in to the pit to pull the woman to safety.

The T driver is shaken up by the events, but fine. Everyone is crediting the quick thinking of the other passengers, and the prompt action of the T driver, with saving the woman's life.

Police say the woman that fell suffered only cuts and bruises, and will not be charged in the incident.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`m glad no one was really hurt badly.

Reminds me of a news story here in Japan last month. It was caught on video, so it may be up on youtube by now. A woman went to turn her child`s stroller around so she could pull it rather than push it onto the train entering the station.Once she had it turned momentum kept it rolling and the baby stroller slipped off the platform and onto the tracks just as the train entered the station. It was a miricle that the train didn`t run over the child but just pushed the stroller down the track about 15 meters.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
News has been so bad lately pertaining to happening across the country, it is depressing. Thanks Carol, for the post to remind us that there is still hope for frail humanity. Have a great week.
icon7.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad no one was hurt, but charge her with public intoxication or something--her actions led to a potentially harmful situation that surely inconvenienced people at the least.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The T has released video of the events that I found on YouTube.

After the woman fell in to the pit, she actually kicked the electrified 3rd rail, which looks like a long pipe on the right of the screen. Fortunately the covering of the rail was intact and did not electricute her.

The video shows how close she came to being struck by the train. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to see the news coverage hit the right note on this one.

The train driver seems a very personable and cogent young lady and from what she said in the interview has good situational awareness too (i.e. she was making herself ready to stop the train before she had concrete reason to think she had to) :D.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw this video elsewhere... this particular one had more "views" than the one I saw... where the woman just fell onto the tracks and tried to get up and couldn't.
There's something funny about how that woman was trying to lean out several times to "see if the train is coming" ... it ALMOST looks like she jumped rather than lost her balance and fell off. Watch it again and see what you think.

Still heroic efforts paid off and the train stopped barely in time.
Hopefully things will work out for the lady if anything is wrong.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
What about this would make me not lose faith in humanity? The lady shouldn't of fallen into the tracks.

Latest Discussions