Help with car audio, DVD/S and MP3

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well first off I hope I put this in the correct place on the forum. I am looking for all the car audio, DVD formats, and MP3, experts out there. I can tell I am getting old I used to be able to keep up with all of this electronics stuff.

Well since I just got another pick up truck and it has the crappy old Nissan factory radio in place I am looking to change that real soon. The head unit I have my eye on is the Lanzar SVD44, DVD/CD/MP3/Player. Here’s a link http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16475

Anyway the reason I am looking for help I am still a little fuzzy on the DVD audio.
The question I have is concerning the DVD playback what format? + Or – will this unit play DVD/R or DVD/RW + / - . The reason I ask if this unit will play back these formats. I hope to be able to record MP#3’s to DVD and do away with the need for an i-pod. Since DVD will hold 5.6 gigs that is plenty of music to carry around or if not just burn more disks. But I also need to find out what format DVD audio is so I can buy a new DVD burner for my computer if the one I have is not compatible.

Anyway thanks in advance for any light ya’ll can shed on this.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
DVD's can be burned with any existing music formats like .WAV or .MP3. I have about 30 DVDs full of music; all told about 1,200 full albums.

It looks like the head unit you're looking at can play video DVDs, I would ask them if it will play audio DVDs and if so what format.

I'd be curious to hear what they have to say; I'm looking for a head unit that will play audio DVDs in MP3 format.

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
fireman00 said:
DVD's can be burned with any existing music formats like .WAV or .MP3. I have about 30 DVDs full of music; all told about 1,200 full albums.

It looks like the head unit you're looking at can play video DVDs, I would ask them if it will play audio DVDs and if so what format.

I'd be curious to hear what they have to say; I'm looking for a head unit that will play audio DVDs in MP3 format.

That’s what I am looking for also, I guess I might have worded it wrong but this DVD + DVD- DVD/R + DVD/R- RW+ RW- is all so confusing. I from the looks of things will need to buy an external DVD burner that will do both formats and double layer. I have to use external as far as I know since I have a Dell. I looked at hooking up a 30 gig hard drive in my system but Dell seems to use some crazy small plug?? But anyway I e mailed tech support and got no answer as of yet. I found a bunch of other head units that list that they play DVD+ DVD- DVD/R + - and DVD/RW + and – but I am still confused as to if it will play DVD Audio. One even listed that it will play DVD Ram what ever that is ????

If you find a good one that will play the DVD audio will you post it? I just want to put about 700 songs on a DVD in MP3 format.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I looked at hooking up a 30 gig hard drive in my system but Dell seems to use some crazy small plug??

The newer Dells use SATA rather than the older IDE or SCSI connectors.

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
[/font]
The newer Dells use SATA rather than the older IDE or SCSI connectors.

Ah so the little plug is SATA, is there such a thing as a SATA to IDE connecter? This is my first Dell and I am happy with it for the most part. Well I take that back this is my second Dell I had my first one two days then called tech support and they asked me to send it back. And they send me a new one. I learned the hard way to say far away from partition magic program. LMAO

One thing I didn’t check when I had the case open, on the CD/DVD drives are they still IDE or are they SATA also? That’s why I thought I would have to get an external DVD burner that uses USB.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
Ah so the little plug is SATA, is there such a thing as a SATA to IDE connecter?

Yes, here's one.

One thing I didn’t check when I had the case open, on the CD/DVD drives are they still IDE or are they SATA also? That’s why I thought I would have to get an external DVD burner that uses USB.
Well, at least in the models I support at work, the optical drives are still IDE. Best to pop the case and check, though.

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, I just thought the little plug was something Dell used to force people to buy parts from them. I’m not at home right now but I think mine is the 4100 series. I am not sure what Video cars will fit with a Dell mother board. I was thinking about upgrading that next but I have a lot of irons in the fire right now

Latest Discussions