HELP! I am soooo screwed . . .

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm in BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC trouble. I'm not sure if I'm venting or asking for advice so if you have words of wisdom - feel free to share.

Here's the scoop. I found out BY ACCIDENT that my darling hubby is throwing a surprise 40th birthday party for me a week from tomorrow - never mind the fact that I've told everyone who will listen that I didn't want one.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the trouble he and everyone else is going through to pull this off it's really sweet but I'm having trouble with this birthday anyway. I know, I know - it's only a number but my brain still hasn't wrapped itself around that yet.

Anyway, do I tell him I know and hurt his feelings now but save him the aggravation of trying to keep the secret for the next week? OR do I keep my mouth shut and try to act surprised when I'm supposed to. I don't want to ruin the fun that I know he's having thinking he's put one over on me.

The big problem is that I'm a lousy actress. I don't play poker because I can't keep expressions off my face. Maybe I could just hide in the basement for the next week, you know, the old avoidance trick.

The whole thing is making me nauseous - hey! a new way to lose weight.

Then there's the whole thing running through my head of "what if no one shows up?". That would REALLY suck!

Thanks for the ears to listen and shoulders to cry on.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only way I'd see this causing a problem is if you're really only 39!

j/k. Anyway, I think you should let him go ahead with it. Don't tell him anything. Just try to improve on your acting lessons. Have a little fun with it. Say things that will totally ruin his plans and watch him squirm. But don't spill the beans. Everyone I've ever known has already known about their surprise party. Just enjoy it. The fact that you have someone going through all the trouble for you speaks volumes itself.

And Happy Birthday!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Anyway, I think you should let him go ahead with it. Don't tell him anything. Just try to improve on your acting lessons. Just enjoy it. The fact that you have someone going through all the trouble for you speaks volumes itself. And Happy Birthday!
I agree with Gemini. Try to act surprised, & appreciate the fact that he went to all that trouble for you. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you should play dumb, I'm afraid. It's the only polite thing to do. Wait two months then make it clear to him that you appreciate the thought but that next time he should not do something like this.

Then look forward to 50!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, don't ruin it for himand everyone else who are trying so hard to make a very special event for you.

however, this is an excellent opportunity to see how well your husband can dance.

here is an example. Assuming the party is next weekend, say to him... "Honey, how about we go do <something he has been trying to get you to do forever> next weekend?"

or "I won a free trip to the spa all day next saturday, I can't wait!"

OP
Fightback2

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Yes, don't ruin it for himand everyone else who are trying so hard to make a very special event for you.

however, this is an excellent opportunity to see how well your husband can dance.

here is an example. Assuming the party is next weekend, say to him... "Honey, how about we go do <something he has been trying to get you to do forever> next weekend?"

or "I won a free trip to the spa all day next saturday, I can't wait!"
Oooooohhhh I like it. I wouldn't dream of ruining it for anyone I just don't know if I can keep the secret that I know the secret - you know. But if I play with it it might just work.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:erg:

A woman who admits to being 40?????

what the others said... act surprised as best as you can and then love him later on for being so sweet. :uhyeah:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else...relax and enjoy it, it is just a moment in time and it is what you make of it. Hope you and hubby have a good time.

What really sucks is when people forget your birthday, the big 50 which you want to NOT happen but they want to celebrate it two weeks late, whoops, with a very unsurprise party. Heh! The gift that keeps giving.

So in that regard, 40 sounds good to me.

And, I'm sure when I turn 60, 50 will sound good to me as well...

Its all relative...enjoy your life... TW

OP
Fightback2

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jmh7331 said:
Act surprised. You could always walk in naked, then no one would notice your acting! :ultracool
OMG NO NO NO! I'd give everyone there nightmares.

I was a very bad girl last night though (minds out of the gutters please).

Suggested that we have a family dinner next Saturday because we haven't done that in a long time; maybe BBQ, play Dominoes, stuff like that. He thought maybe we should do it Sunday instead (wonder why:rolleyes: ) because his brother might need him to come over and help him out with a project on Saturday. The "event" is at the brother's house.

Anyway, he was looking everywhere but at me while he was going through the whole "maybe Sunday would be better" routine. The man can't lie to save his life - which is a good thing. I'm so proud of myself, I actually looked innocent through the whole thing.

It's going to be a REALLY interesting and fun week - for both of us.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fightback2 said:
I'm so proud of myself, I actually looked innocent through the whole thing.
See? Now isn't this so much more fun? :)

T

Tremble

You could reverse the whole surprise as someone else suggested.

Get someone you know to dress up in a White Boiler suit and a Gas Mask,maybe holding a red Clip Board, to walk up to the house just before you are due, insisting that all the guests strip, and stand out on the lawn due to some major toxic chemical leakage underground.

Then you walk up, and shout SURPRISE! :D

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say mess with him. That'll teach him.

So, his response to the Saturday BBQ thing was that his brother may need him to go over there to help with something, right? So, that doesn't necessarily involve you, does it? Hell no! So, tell him that you've decided to spend the day at a spa or something. When he tries to talk you out of it, refute, refute, refute. FORCE him to show his hand. Then laugh at him. Laugh your *** off. Explain to him how transparent his scheme was, and tell him to never try to **** with you again. Then laugh at him some more. :rofl:

Twisted by the dark side, am I.

Latest Discussions