Hello all!

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Longtime lurker, coming back to this forum after a brief hiatus.

As the name implies, yes, I’m deaf & 48 years old.
I’ve been involved in martial arts since my teens.
I studied karate as a teenager, did collegiate wrestling concurrently only to stop when I went to college. I restarted in martial arts 6 years ago by joining up with a local TKD community group with my daughters.

So far, I’m having a blast & staying fit.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah welcome bro, that's so awesome, love the enthusiasm! If you don't mind me asking, how do you go in class being hearing-impaired? Do they have a different class or do you join in and follow the movements in standard class? That's really cool :)

OP
Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just like everyone else...I show up!!!
I train in the same class as everyone else.

I let the instructor know the 1st time I started. Other than asking how to pronounce certain Korean terms.
It really wasn’t that difficult. I was trained to read lips and sign.

Occasionally I fumble up and do the wrong form like Sa Jang instead of Som Jang. But I make it look good. If I do the wrong technique, at least I do it correctly.

Yes, I do have hearing aids but I don’t wear them while sparring or doing self defense techniques.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

Great to know you are doing well and enjoying it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Longtime lurker, coming back to this forum after a brief hiatus.

As the name implies, yes, I’m deaf & 48 years old.
I’ve been involved in martial arts since my teens.
I studied karate as a teenager, did collegiate wrestling concurrently only to stop when I went to college. I restarted in martial arts 6 years ago by joining up with a local TKD community group with my daughters.

So far, I’m having a blast & staying fit.
Awesome! Were you born deaf? The reason I ask is I have had experience with students who were born missing limbs and others who lost a limb. The differences are incredible.

OP
Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! Were you born deaf? The reason I ask is I have had experience with students who were born missing limbs and others who lost a limb. The differences are incredible.
For all intents & purposes, yes.
I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 4 years old. There are some sounds/situations that I’ve never heard & probably never will.

Jacob0988

White Belt
Reaction score
For all intents & purposes, yes.
I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 4 years old. There are some sounds/situations that I’ve never heard & probably never will.
How hard is it? Sorry if I am intruding I just have never had the expierience. And what martial arts do you do and what kyu or belt are you?

OP
Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
It’s not hard for me as I’ve only known this all my life.
Not a big deal for intruding, I’m used to it. Life is all about dealing with situations outside of our comfort zone.

I started taking martial arts back in the mid 80s with Sanshinkai karate. I did that for 3 years before I stopped.

Right now I’m studying Chung Do Kwon WTF Taekwondo. I’ve been doing this for almost 6 years.
I just passed my testing for 2nd gup. So, a pretty big step for me at 48.

Jacob0988

White Belt
Reaction score
It’s not hard for me as I’ve only known this all my life.
Not a big deal for intruding, I’m used to it. Life is all about dealing with situations outside of our comfort zone.

I started taking martial arts back in the mid 80s with Sanshinkai karate. I did that for 3 years before I stopped.

Right now I’m studying Chung Do Kwon WTF Taekwondo. I’ve been doing this for almost 6 years.
I just passed my testing for 2nd gup. So, a pretty big step for me at 48.
Thank you!

Latest Discussions