Heavyweight Gung Fu Uniform

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all. I promise to ask more interesting and intelligent questions down the road. But one little bit of trivia that I've been wondering about is heavyweight gung fu uniforms (for grappling, throws, etc.).

Has anyone ever seen one, or is this something that I should pay a seamstress (a lot of money) to make?

Thanks so much.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shuaijiao might have a heavier weight uniform but I am not sure it is what you have in mind. They tend to be short sleeve and a bit more open than the standard Kung fu uniform.

What is this for?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try Sakura Martial Arts.

Their uniforms are 8 oz cotton canvas or 8 oz cotton poly.

Either are much heavier grade than the majority of CMA uniforms out there today.

OP
Wo Fat

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shuaijiao might have a heavier weight uniform but I am not sure it is what you have in mind. They tend to be short sleeve and a bit more open than the standard Kung fu uniform.

What is this for?
Thanks for the reply. I'd wear it primarily for training where a traditional light weight twill or silk/rayon wouldn't hold up (for grab arts, throws, sparring, etc.)

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

I use an inexpensive judo gi or heavyweight gi for rough and tumble grappling training, or just a licra type shirt and pants (cheap under armor replicas at walmart.. less than $10)...

Normal shirts and chinese type uniforms break too easily. I've ripped several pockets, sleeves, etc. Funny when it happens.

Though 8 oz uniforms can take a beating, yet for the price, a judo uniform will last much longer and take a better beating.

So I would suggest to take off the jacket for grappling training. Or at least unbutton it. :)

Juan M. Mercado