Healing or aiding in psychosis

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
kaizasosei, I'm afraid your logic has been pretty thoroughly taken apart. And you haven't done too well on facts, evidence or the basics of scientific inquiry. The assertions backed up by weasel-words like "many", "some" and "I think" aren't cutting it.

Best to retire gracefully from the field and leave it to the ones who are doing a better job on these scores.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i would compare it saying life is a tumor. there are good tumors and bad tumors right?? a normal person is like a good tumor and a 'ill' person is like a bad one. and that is one tumor that you'd fist have to understand really well before you can even hold a blade to it.

when i made this comparison. i left out that this is the attitude that i see you having. not that it is wrong. but it is an attitude. that's for sure.
i wonder if everyone would be so mean and cocky if it we were discussing in person. i myself value the ability to understand where people are coming from. communication is very important i feel.

hey tellner. who asked you. thanks for the tip but i'll retire when i feel like it- do you understand that? if you had cared to explain why my logic has been taken apart you wouldn't come off as so heartless.

j

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
\

hey tellner. who asked you. thanks for the tip but i'll retire when i feel like it- do you understand that? if you had cared to explain why my logic has been taken apart you wouldn't come off as so heartless.

j

He has pointed out a very simple fact we are using logic and personal experiences with explanations You however are not. You are refusing to accept our "proof" yet say you will, when shown it, and you are not using what most people would call sound logic.

Tellner however was rather polite, maybe the next person wont be as kind with their words as he was.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i mean, you are the next person to be seemingly warning me of my errors. i suppose that is not a bad intention...but about you being the next person. - but i get you- whatever- in your case, i didn't feel too offended, but even if someone gets really dirty whatever- most i might end up flattered. but in the case of getting all indignant just because i shared my personal opinion in which i purposely mention that i am not a practicing professional, i find childish as well as aggressive in a negative way.

since when has it become a requirement on this forum to be a psychologist?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
One question

What does any of the recent discussion have to do with the original question?

I am diagnosed with a psychotic disorder (possibly schizophrenia) and I was wondering if there were any healing arts that would aid in this disorder? Yoga? Tai chi? Meditation? Etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please carry on this bickering is so productive

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is a great article on Acupunture from Acupunture.com
http://www.acupuncture.com/conditions/schizo.htm

I have been reading this thread and the orginal question dealt with HEALING ARTS and even listed some. The orginal post seems not interested in Pills and modern Psychology answers to their problem or not the ONLY answer to their problem. With that said The best approach is for the person to examine alternatives and present them to their doctor who is issuing treatment and knows their medical background and history.
To go on and say this works and this does not work or this is better and this is worse really does not address the person's quest for info in alternative healing which is the basis of their question because only their doctor and his patient can say is it or is it not the best treatment.
So to get back on track I presented the views of Acupunture, I cautioned the usage of herbs and mixing with precribed medicine.
Lets also look at Yoga, Shiatsu, Martial arts, that may not treat or cure a certain condition but may help a person outlook in coping with it.
Thats really all I have to say concerning this matter.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here (been gone anyways for a few days). Just want to throw some data into the mix:

We don't really know what Schizophrenia is, folks. We have a bunch of possible symptoms as described in the DSM, but we are not certain of many things about it, particularly causal factors. We have only theories, as well as theoretical solutions. Pharmacological treatments sometimes work, and sometimes don't; and in neither case are these treatments without consequence. Generally what occurs is that the person is displaying abnormal (and usually maladaptive) behaviors that don't quite fit any other category in the DSM; so they get labeled as a schizophrenic. Sometimes this is "correct," and sometimes it is not.

The thing is, it is hard to know if it is a correct diagnosis when we really don't know what the diagnosis really is. Again, no real understanding of causal factors; just a series of possible symptoms coupled with inconclusive theories. Well, because of this, people get misdiagnosed all of the time (although how often exactly is not certain or conclusive either):

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/schizophrenia/misdiag.htm

Furthermore, it gets even trickier when drugs enter the mix. How do you treat people with something that is supposed to be a somewhat empirical method (medication) when your diagnosis and understanding of the illness is about as ambigious as you can get in the medical community? What you end up with, sometimes, is the treatments being more damaging then the "illness." For example, Neuroleptic drugs are generally given to schizophrenic or psychotic patients; but one of the side effects is TD which is a disfiguring disorder of the central nervous system resulting in a variety of involuntary movements, particularly of the tongue, lips, and jaw. muscle movements. This would of course make a "schizophrenic" person seem even more so, wouldn't you think?

There are many problems with the pharmacological approach that I don't even have the time to get into. The argument is quite far reaching among MD's and Psych PHd's; so there is know way that we'll crack it on an internet forum.

On the other hand, though, a major problem with schizophrenic patients is that most (over 1/2) are not actually aware of their own illness. This further complicates things.

Anyway, I can go on and on, but the basic conclusion is this: 1. Medication is not without side effects, is not always the answer, and therefore should be used only as a last resort. And 2. If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia or some other serious mental illness, DO NOT try to treat this or diagnose yourself, or do ANYTHING on your own - always involve your doctor. If an entire medical field does not have all the answers regarding your illness, then you aren't going to find those answers on your own. Work with your professionals. And, your doctor should be someone who doesn't try to pretend to know all the answers, but who does want to find what will work for you to get you the help you need.

Anyway, I have no idea what else to say on the matter...

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It can be pretty bad to look mental ill and be it too. Some people breathed through their mouths as childeren due to allergies and developed a pretty strange look. (according to the article - I've seen it too) Take a look at this article and imagine someone with an akward posture (neck forward, shoulders inward, and the eyes look lost in the top of his head almost so he is looking upward to look forward.), and mental illness, and poor hygiene (picking nose, yellow teeth, etc. etc.)

I don't wish that stigma upon anyone.... It is very very sad.

Here is the link:
http://www.atlantadentist.com/Mouth_Breathing.html

theEXxman

White Belt
Reaction score
And on pursuing chi-kung or tai-chi as an alternative or supplament to any psyc. treatment there is a thing called chi poisoning. Which means if the chi flow is blocked or is flowing wrong it could make you sick physically or mentally. And if your taking any kind of psyc. medicine on top of that then like it's been said before could contraindicate the medicine. Best thing is to include your martial teacher and your doctor on what your doing so that both could tailor your treatment.

theEXxman

White Belt
Reaction score
But with my dealings with doctors these days I seem to find two camps. Those who feel medications should be used as a last resort and those who shell out medication like its candy. Not being a doctor and IMHO the medications I'm taking personally I would like to quit taking. I've read the little papers that come with the medications and I've read the side effects and it just seems like the cure is worse than the symptoms.
That seems true with a lot of modern pharmaceuticals that these companies shell out to us. I think that's why a lot of people now a days are seeking alternatives medicine from those that has to do with anything from heart disease to giving birth to like this original poster. So don't jump on this original poster for wanting to seek alternative means to heal or treat or supplement treat this affliction. Maybe he doesn't want to die later on in life from liver problems maybe he wants a healthier life when he's in his 60's or 70's.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As a note

Psychologists in China are few and far between. Most disorders of this type are the realm of TCM. Which means acupuncture, acupressure, herbal, etc.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am diagnosed with a psychotic disorder (possibly schizophrenia) and I was wondering if there were any healing arts that would aid in this disorder? Yoga? Tai chi? Meditation? Etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello SwindtPGH,

It is difficult to offer any definate advice as we have no idea of how your psychosis manifests itself in you personally. Mental health is very individual and what some people find useful and therapeutic others may not. An example of this would be that some people enjoy and benefit more from group work/counselling than 1-1 therapy, where as for another person they may find group work very anxiety provoking but find individual 1-1 therapy very useful.

In general though activities, hobbies and regular routines are very good for mental health. They can build self esteem, provide useful distractions, provide routine and most importantly can be fun and enjoyable! Just because someone has a mental health diagnosis should in no way preclude that person from enjoying life! The activities you have suggested like Yoga, meditation and Tai Chi could potentially have some lovely benefits like learning to relax and the gentle exercise would encourage your body to release natural endorphins. However, not knowing how your psychosis effects you I would also be mindful of potential stresses. For example if you experience mind racing or persistant disturbing voices you may find meditation very difficult and may need a different activity that is more likely to offer you a distraction from those symptoms. Alternatively you may find meditation helps you settle your mood. The only way to find out is by trying it out and if you find it helpful carry on but if you find it stressful try something else.

In terms of traditional chinese or alternative medication I suggest checking in with your doctor first. All you need to know is whether it interacts with your current medication. It does not matter if your doctor thinks that it is all hocus pocus as all that matters is whether you find it helpful and that it does not interfere with your prescribed medication.

I will now wade into the medication debate! But I do recognise that at no point did you yourself say anything about not taking prescribed medication so I am typing this more as a reaction to other posters on this thread.

Firstly I better reveal my bias, I am a mental health nurse working in the UK national health service, so like others, I will stress that you work closely with your doctor and certainly don't suddenly stop taking any prescribed medication. I am not saying that you have to just accept everything that your doctor says! The people that I have worked with that do best are the ones who have open and honest negotiations about medication and treatment with their doctor. All good doctors will recognise that medication can effect different people in different ways, one person may get side effects whilst the next person may not. There is a huge amount of choice now when it comes to psychiatric medication and it is well known that people respond individually to medication. What is important to remember is that some side effects will completely disappear after two weeks of starting a medication. Also, stopping some medications suddenly (such as Lithium) can have a rebound effect increasing the chances of relapsing and becoming ill again. Therefore always negotiate with your doctor, if you find that you have side effects to your medication and these are unbearable it may be the case that you need to reduce the current medication slowly whilst you are titrated on to a different medication. This sort of thing should only be done with the support of an expert, so again I say always, always consult with your doctor.

Anyway good luck with what ever you decide to do. I hope you find happiness and peace.:)

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who also has a mental illness, I've found support groups to be a very powerful tool for recovery. It can be lay-led, or done with a professional. It's great because it challenges the isolating effect that mental illness can have, and members can learn coping skills from each other too.

Here's another tip ... it sounds weird, but do you have a pet? They're great for companionship of course, but you can also train one to help you figure out what phenomena are real as opposed to hallucinations. I know of a woman who hallucinated fire constantly after a brain injury. She almost served jail time for calling in so many false alarms to the fire department. One day she taught her dog to alert her to the presence of a real fire; now whenever she has any doubts, she has a command for her dog to confirm whether her "fire" is real. He hasn't alerted her yet, and her reputation is clean at the fire department.

I hope this finds you well. I know mental illness can be exhausting and frustrating; just remember that you're not alone in this. You have a community of millions at your back if you choose to reach out for it. Count me in ... you're welcome to PM me if you like.

Flea

theEXxman

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to put myself on a limb here, but being diagnosed with clinical depression I started seeing a therapist. She works with a mental health firm. She has been very encouraging with me on working on alternative health and meditation. I told here that I had been studying Isshinryu karate since '98 and she has encouraged me to keep studying it and to keep doing the things I enjoy. We've have a very good professional relationship and I've been bouncing some ideas of her of getting into the medical field, maybe becoming a physician or nurse or something ?. For one thing I wanted to make sure everything was kosher as far as a background check and physical was conscerned. That being said and I'm not an expert by any means so take my advice with a grain of salt, but since you said you where diagnosed with schizophrenia why not talk to your psychiatrist(if you have one) or therapist and discuss with them that your very interested in alternative health maybe even martial arts. You might be surprised that they might be very receptive and encouraging. I was.