Senior Master
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not directed at you specifically, but what I think is that people need to provide a bit more context with their links!

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Thoughts?

The shirtless wonder speaks again eh? Wow, actually amazed he didn't drop multiple "F bombs" within the first few seconds! hahaha. So, according to this stellar individual, Wing Chun is restrictive on creativity, and oh by the way, he says Wing Chun died a long time ago. PS: don't waste 12 minutes of your life on this video. I think there must be something in the water up there in the Windy City...

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion on this guy is, he didn't get his butt kicked enough on sparring night. There is no way a legitimate instructor would have trained this guy which means (mcdojo, or self taught)............ Humility is key to martial arts.................

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
my thoughts are by posting trash like this is breeding malcontent. giving this jackhammer a voice is not only stupid, but dangerous. he obviously spends more time in Bruce Lee's books then going to train. and the kicker is he hasn't the foggiest idea of what He is talking about. His facts aren't "wrong" they're just lies. seriously, why post this?

EverytimeI jump on this forum I see more and more rediculous stuff. how about we put up a random board so we don't have to Wade through this trash instead of finding good posts about the cultivation and practice of our art?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, since you asked...

It's kind of strange how an arrogant and ignorant attitude is so popular. Especially these days. I wonder if this kind of attitude is partially in response to the vast amount and complexity of information floating around in the world these days. It's just way easier to dismiss and degrade things than to give them the benefit of a doubt, and seek a deeper understanding of them. And who knows, for all intensive purposes, perhaps it's more practical.

Besides, this is a Starbucks society. Why go through all of the effort to learn to make real coffee when people don't appreciate the difference in quality anyway? They'll just be disappointed that it comes in a small cup, takes longer to make, and costs more. The cheap and easy option that appeals to the lowest common denominator is the most profitable business model, unless you happen to be in an area where you can capitalize on a very niche market.

It's rather unfortunate, but depth and substance are difficult to come by, and are never valued by the majority. So many people find more success in the cheap and easy way, and their personal philosophy and approach to the world reflects this.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did you guys actually listen all the way through? He is not bagging WC as such, IMHO, but is suggesting that if you get stuck in one system you don't grow. He is suggesting that if Bruce Lee didn't break away, he wouldn't have become the martial artist he was. Forget that he is talking about WC. What he is saying makes sense in so many karate schools I have seen.
Watch from 6:00 to 7:30 if you don't want to watch the whole video.
i don't have a problem with what he is saying except that it is repetitious.
:asian:

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you guys actually listen all the way through? He is not bagging WC as such, IMHO, but is suggesting that if you get stuck in one system you don't grow. He is suggesting that if Bruce Lee didn't break away, he wouldn't have become the martial artist he was. Forget that he is talking about WC. What he is saying makes sense in so many karate schools I have seen.
Watch from 6:00 to 7:30 if you don't want to watch the whole video.
i don't have a problem with what he is saying except that it is repetitious.

I admit, I closed the video as soon as I saw this guy again, because last time it was just several minutes of him rambling without a point and dropping the F word in as many places as he could.

You're right. He is more coherent this time, and actually it wasn't that bad. But, I still can't agree with his outlook. While I do believe that you shouldn't get "stuck in a bubble," you also have to realize just how much there is to learn about a particular art. He asserted, for example, that "Bruce Lee would have been stupid for sticking around and learning the entire Wing Chun system." This doesn't make sense to me. Should I take a year of Karate, then move on and take a year of Muay Thai, and then move on and take a year of BJJ? Exploring other arts can definitely help you. I don't think mixing them is usually a great idea, as in many cases they might be based on different principles and mechanics, and trying to accomplish different things, but in some cases they may compliment eachother, and gaining broader experience will offer insight and help you to better understand whatever art you focus on. But training here and there in different arts for just a few years doesn't seem very productive. There is value in staying at something; at digging deep and gaining a complete understanding of it. That's something that he doesn't seem to value.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find the people who often put forth this argument are the ones who feel the system, being whatever it is, failed them when it really just failed their ego.
I'm not supporting his position, but his main point is that if Bruce Lee had remained within WC we wouldn't have JKD and Bruce Lee would not be the well known person he became.

Not many people step outside the box to create their own system. Ueshiba, Kano, Funakoshi (perhaps), Bruce Lee and Helio Gracie, in recent times, and maybe a few others. In the scheme of things, millions practise some form of martial art. A minuscule percentage go on to develop their own system.

Changing from one system to another because the first system 'failed' them might be ego or it might be just that it didn't suit their needs. But changing systems is totally different to developing your own. Even then, developing your own system is still going to die with you if it hasn't got enough going for it to spark the interest of thousands of people. Lee was able to do that through his movies. Most people don't have that opportunity or ability.

Latest Discussions