having trouble with Heavy bag

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I jsut bought a 6 footer. I loved using them in the past. My only problem is that my punching bag stand is too short and ceiling mounting isn't possible. Any stands you guys would recommend would be helpful.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume that your ceiling simply isn't up to it?
Perhaps you could combine what you have: support the weight on the stand, and connect it to the ceailing so that it doesn't fall over?

OP
X

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I should have elaborated. I am going to be setting this bag up at a gymnastics place where the ceilings are about 30 feet high. so I need a punching bag stand and mine is too short. Was thinking about getting a taller one but I have heard complaints on items like the Corner Man that it isn't tall enough for a standard 6 ft thai bag.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
grado has sound advice, if there is a solid masonry wall or a wooden stud wall that is solid enough you can purchase a typ. heavy bag wall mount support bracket. Then ensure whoever attaches the mount bracket to the wall does a good job of installation.

Years ago at the community college my instructor got 3 of these for the college and the gym tech did not really know what he was doing and incorrectly mounted the 45 degree angle supports aligned level on each side of the main center steel support tube giving it no support.

My instructor tried to brace it with a 2x4 wedged at near a 60 degree angle, it held the 6 foot thai banana bag high enough but it was unstable and the 2x4 was a hazard. Kick and knee the bag solid enough and the center support tube bounced allowing the 2x4 to fall free kanking a head, elbow, and shin or two. Needless to say the mounts were wasted and removed. now we only have those weak wavemasters, ugh!

Once hung properly a thai banana bag will give years of good use. When enough solid knees and kicks blast the long 6 footer the stuffing will shift some causing it to curve and look like a banana hence the nickname BANANA BAG. I hope this bag gets suspended well, you will enjoy.

NOTE: Ensure the bag hangs high enough as not to sag and graze the ground, this can destroy the bottom of the bag over time. Also as I mentioned in a thread yrs ago, the higher the suspension bracket = the longer the chain or rope the more the bag will run when struck hard, if suspended just high enough for the bottom of the bag to set only 2-3 inches above the ground with a short chain or rope the bag will stand its ground and come back to center much more quickly and this is much better for clinch & close range work.​

Latest Discussions