Have you ever...?

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Competed through injury?

*Mods, if you feel this belongs in another forum, pease move it :) *

**I'm also ex-USMC, did 4 combat tours where I saw alot of action, occasionally injured**( added as a side note as to my mentality on the subject)

I'm a Carpenter/Contractor, got a few broken ribs on a job accident. I also train/compete in MMA and had a fight this past Wednesday, got a few more broken from that one.

My opinion is to train/fight through whatever the injury, noone on the street/real life is gonna care if you're injured and so you'd best learn how to deal/train/fight with it, cause they sure as heck won't care....

What are your opinions/thoughts on this way, how do you go about it?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you have the right mentality on it. I'm not one for breaking each other up all the time, but working through pain is a major portion of self defense in my opinion. Its just a hard issue to train :)

But I pretty much agree with you, I dont do alot of competing (officially) anymore, but I agree with your post.

7sm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also agree that one must learn to compet/practice with pain.
As the old saying goes: If you have never been punched in the face or been hurt how do you know what you will do when it happens.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also agree that one must learn to compet/practice with pain.
As the old saying goes: If you have never been punched in the face or been hurt how do you know what you will do when it happens.

I agree with this too. The only caution I'd add is to be careful that training with a "healable* injury does not cause permanent injury.

Naha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've competed injured in both MA and other sports. As stated, part of it depends the type of injury, but one thing to remember is we cash the checks our bodies write. We pay later for all of the things we put our bodies through today. We don't always think about that when we are younger.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My opinion is to train/fight through whatever the injury, noone on the street/real life is gonna care if you're injured and so you'd best learn how to deal/train/fight with it, cause they sure as heck won't care....

I agree with this as long as you add this

The only caution I'd add is to be careful that training with a "healable* injury does not cause permanent injury.

I was not competing but I tried to train through pain not to long ago (my year of constant injury) I knew better, I still did it and I still regret it. Things are improving but slowly, possibly not as fast as age is taking effect, but that's life.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
to be clear: the intelligent thing is to back off and let the injury heal before you train. that way you can keep training once you're over 40.

now i'm not saying i've always been intelligent. historically quite the opposite.

but that's still the smartest way to train.

Latest Discussions