Have you ever done the following?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- Knock on your next neighbor's door and ask if he is willing to spar/wrestle with you for 15 rounds.
- Put note in local gym and ask if anybody is willing to spar/wrestle with you for 15 rounds if you are willing to pay him $20.
- Go to park, looking for people who trains MA, and ask him if he is willing to spar/wrestle with you for 15 rounds.
- Go to local MMA gym and see if anybody is willing to spar/wrestle with you.
- Beat up your wife and see if she is willing to fight back. :)

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

- Knock on your next neighbor's door and ask if he is willing to spar/wrestle with you for 15 rounds.
- Put note in local gym and ask if anybody is willing to spar/wrestle with you for 15 rounds if you are willing to pay him $20.
- Go to park, looking for people who trains MA, and ask him if he is willing to spar/wrestle with you for 15 rounds.
No.

You?

MrRazot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's how Musashi got his first kill at the age of 12/13
Some dude walked into town and challenged everyone. Mushashi beat the crap out of him with a branch.

As for me, I just walk everywhere while flexing and shouting out things like "Man, I could eat martial arts for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!".
I don't really have many friends any more...

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but people don't generally accept $ in the UK, so I had no takers o_O

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- No
- No
- No
- No
- You don't know my wife. Scary woman.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of our more senior students had a brother who liked to brawl. This is a true story, backed up by my dojomates who knew when this happened in Detroit.

The brother liked to walk into bars and challenge people to a fight. He was tough and he often won; if he lost, he took what he had coming to him and chalked it up to experience. But he kept doing it.

One night, he walked into a bar, challenged a man to a fight, and the man shot him right between the eyes. My dojomate was in his mid 60s when he was telling me this story. He was in his 20s when it happened. He still cries over his dead brother.

Moral of this story...if you walk into bars and challenge people to a fight, make a Will out first. You will eventually be killed, which is fine because you're stupid and probably have it coming, but you'll leave behind people who love you who will grieve the rest of their lives. How shallow and pathetic of you to do that to those you love.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

no i walk down the local tow path and wait from someone on a cycle to try and knock me over, about every 400 yards, then I challenge him to a fight. Gives me plenty of work outs

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

My first reaction was "It could be nice!" Then...

15 rounds is too much for me. :) And then there is the risk of the sparring turning into a fight or 'masculinity measurement'. People (males) are like that. Especially if I go to an MMA gym saying I want to spar (instead of learning). It looks like I want to test their skills, a challenge.

In a club I was going only on k-1 kickboxing days, I embarrassed some guys during sparring and in return I got 2 concussions in 3 weeks (of course the 2nd concussion was my last day there)! First concussion: I was so bored that rose the head looking the clock and got an angry hook. Second one: I swept a guy 2 or 3 times (there is a trick I try with almost everyone, nothing personal). Then, he changed the speed. And he was heavy...

Also, after showing interest in meeting people willing to spar in a forum, I had the opportunity to have a sparring group for a while. The issue was we had different concepts of sparring and different levels. So it turned into teaching.

But not all bad. Fortunately, I also joined a club that was really informal we could do what we wanted. So it was 1h of sparring, at least, with different kind of opponents.

If you do that, remember it may not be a friendly 'game' for both sides. Knowing how to spar is a complex skill.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a
My first reaction was "It could be nice!" Then.
My main point is sparring/wrestling is fun that money won't be able to buy it. I find wrestling is easier than sparring. I met a group people wrestled on the grass in a park. I asked if I could wrestle with them. That was fun and nobody would get hurt.

I can understand why BJJ is getting more popular. It's the safest sport that you don't have to deal with kick, punch, or even hard throw.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
a
My main point is sparring/wrestling is fun that money won't be able to buy it. I find wrestling is easier than sparring. I met a group people wrestled on the grass in a park. I asked if I could wrestle with them. That was fun and nobody would get hurt.

I can understand why BJJ is getting more popular. It's the safest sport that you don't have to deal with kick, punch, or even hard throw.
Well, we can brake arms doing BJJ. I understand your point and largely agree. But what makes BJJ safer is the control on the end of the technique and the way they train. I never did BJJ exactly, but did quite the same without using that name. Our focus was on holding the opponent so well/tight that we could do the lock very slowly, very carefully.

Striking could be almost as safe with the same kind of control. If the set up is perfect, we have all the time for a potentially powerful final strike, just controlling the end of the technique (controlled power on people in training). And training power on bags. I sparred for years without any incident. People just need to learn how to train.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

No

Obviously your not married to a Traditional Chinese medical doctor who knows all the points and is highly skilled in Tuina :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My wife is more than willing to fight back. I have her outclassed, though (about 25 years more experience, extreme difference in reach, and she has a bad back).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we can brake arms doing BJJ. I understand your point and largely agree. But what makes BJJ safer is the control on the end of the technique and the way they train. I never did BJJ exactly, but did quite the same without using that name. Our focus was on holding the opponent so well/tight that we could do the lock very slowly, very carefully.

Striking could be almost as safe with the same kind of control. If the set up is perfect, we have all the time for a potentially powerful final strike, just controlling the end of the technique (controlled power on people in training). And training power on bags. I sparred for years without any incident. People just need to learn how to train.
Even with the possibility of breaking an arm, I'm probably not going to get a concussion from BJJ. I've gotten multiple concussions from striking, in places where control was important, and with both medium and hard contact. Overall, risking a broken bone is probably safer than risking a broker bone and/or a head injury.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife is more than willing to fight back. I have her outclassed, though (about 25 years more experience, extreme difference in reach, and she has a bad back).
My wife could beat up all boys in arm wrestling in her high school year. She is the strongest woman that I have ever met.

robin_throw_john.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife could beat up all boys in arm wrestling in her high school year. She is the strongest woman that I have ever met.

robin_throw_john.jpg

Arm wrestling has a lot of technique and skill involved, which very, very few people know. Obviously strength is important, but a lesson or two from a former pro taught me some interesting tricks. All the tricks are legal, but people who have no clue about the rules get pretty pissed off.