Has the Arts forgotten Respect?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that there is a big difference between being formal and being respectful. I draw a clear distinction between the two.

If you walk into my school, I believe you'd find that we're very respectful. We take care of each other. We look out for each other. We listen to our coach when he's demonstrating technique. But if you're looking for 'sirs' and 'madams' you won't find them.

(1) Is everyone called by their last name with Miss, Mr, or Mrs. in front?
(2) Is it also, yes Sir or yes Ma'am?
(3) Is the head instructor referred to as Sensei or any appropriate title?
These three are more to do with honorifics and formality than any kind of real respect. I'm not saying that it's wrong to be polite. I'm just saying that being polite does not equal being respectful.

(4) Is there no unnecessary talking before class and no talking at all during class?
(5) Is it required to show respect at all times for your fellow students?
(6) Is it required to pick up after yourself in and around the DoJo area, and keep the changing area neat and clean?
(7) Is it a must to come to class neat and clean with a washed Gi or workout uniform?
These four are getting to respect, in my book. Although, I'd argue that "required" undermines the intent. In other words, are people doing these things because they WANT to or because they are REQUIRED to? If it's the former, you're looking at respectful behavior. If it's the latter, you're looking at obedient behavior, which is different.

(8) No foul language before during or after class?
This is cultural, as in the culture of the style or school. There's some foul language at my school, and we don't mind. It's generally kept around PG-13. :)

(9) Is it required to conduct yourself properly outside of class, and represent yourself and your school in a respectful manner?
(10) Is it a must and understood by all that there will be no promotions to a higher rank unless all material has been learned?
(11) There should never be any talk about other schools in the area, or putting down other styles of martial arts?
(12) Does the head instructor teach respect and have it flow down through he ranks, with the higher belts being good examples to follow?
(13) Is everyone expected to do their best in class, giving 100%?
(14) Are there mini clicks in the dojo, or is this discouraged?
I pretty much agree with these. Again, I wonder about the use of "required." If it's required, then it's more about obedience than respect. 11, 12, 13, and 14 are all indications that things are going well, and good indications that the school is confident and well run.

Mike Melillo

White Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect, that's not a Dojo. And I take umbrage at the notion of the Sensei being "very patient". There is something very wrong there.
This is not a representation of every night in our dojo. Far from it. The night in question was when the "join karate" flyers went home with the kids, and all the power rangers showed up. This is not the norm at our dojo, but an example of the kind of disrespect that I postulate comes from their equally disrespectful parents. Soon enough, the real students are separated from the "hi-ya" crowd.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, Mike. I didn't mean to paint with too broad a brush.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe the appearance of less respect in dojos or the lax behaviour being seen is a symptom of having a large or overly large class of students, which may be great financially but not the best for imparting knowledge.

This may be wrong however.

I have been fortunate to have most of my training in relatively small dojos, although sometimes the kid sessions at some dojos are quite large (and I guess it’s good to see so many kids at least involved in the arts). I don’t see why a sensei, if that is important to them (to some obviously it is not), would have issues still instilling respect and discipline within the dojos at all times. While a good thing, my old dojo never needed any rules or etiquette put up on the wall; it was pretty clear from the seniors and the vibe that this was a requirement - it was pretty clear to both the students and any accompanying parents or was made clear pretty fast in a pleasant but short and frank conversation. Again, unfortunately if money is the main driver and stress behind an operation (and we all gotta eat) then maybe pointing out, or requiring the correciton of, lax behaviour to students or parents is not as high up on the list.

I have never seen a non-umpire (ie other fighter/student) walk across a mat or ring when two competitors were fighting though. That would annoy the hell out of me, as a competitor or spectator, and unless done completely by accident, I can only hope such a disrespectful clown would receive a simultaneous double round house kick to the head by those actually meant to be on the mat competing.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How about Martial Art Instructors and Respect? So many of them lacking the fundamental aspect of Martial Arts, and it's mainly the Instructors, themselves!!