Happy International Womens Day! - Martial Arts edition!

WingChunBear

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all this is to commemorate the day for female Martial Artist & Fighters and even Performers :D

Check out the link below to see Female Martial Artist Archetypes in movies, Im not sure how to link the youtube video onto this forum since im still new.

Lets start a discussion to commemorate the day, Which category do you fall under? :D

Maternal? Tomboy? or Seductress?

Can anyone see the video?
If not come check it out in http://www.facebook.com/WingChunBear
It's a Fan Page that shares all sorts of ideas of Martial Arts :D
Dont forget to like it if you like the idea :)

Last edited by a moderator:

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess I would be considered maternal. Having a kid will do that to you. I am the go-to person in our dojo for things like bandaids, an extra ankle brace, a T-shirt to replace a badly ripped gi, or advice. It is just the way I am wired. I like to think ahead and am prepared for most situations. I like to help people so I tend to share the items I have.

As I mentioned in the "Does getting a black belt have to be this hard?" thread, I also have more than my share of Mama Bear syndrome. I am quick to want to protect my friends and family from harm.

Tomboy? Perhaps when I was young but not so much now, as a middle-aged mom. Sexy? Ditto. I really like the fact that there seems to be no game playing or goofing around with this in our dojo. We are there to learn martial arts. So far, after two years there, I feel as though I am being treated the same as I would be if I were male. It's not about sex, it is about height, weight, body type, strength, stamina, flexibility, coordination, etc. That is very refreshing to me.

Thanks for sharing the video (I could see it fine). But what about the guys? I would imagine they could be categorized into such groupings also - Warrior/protectors/fathers, brave youths, and players. I think it is important to remember that people rarely fit into clearly defined roles. While I may be maternal in the world of MA, most of my other friends outside this world would probably think me a tomboy of the first order, merely due to the fact that I participate in MA!

Latest Discussions