Hapkido instructor claims that jump spinning kicks in TKD came from Hapkido

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rhonda's striking would have been better if she did have head movement. Unfortunately she had a coach who was blowing smoke up her *** about how good her boxing was. (This is the same coach who wouldn't lift a finger to help her in the gym until she became a big star and he saw a meal ticket.)
lol she did have head movement . It was just all wrong. But seriously, I would blame her coach for any issues that she actually had. I actually liked her as a fighter, not because of her wins but because of the background she was coming from. I like seeing that. But man, to this day I just shake my head in disappointment because so many people tried to warn her about her coach.

I hate to see talent just wrecked like that.

Here's a clip with some better examples of good head movement in MMA.
Yep good video of head movement.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and since you are so hung up on sweeps. Here is a successful one. It didn't change the outcome of the fight

So what's your point? He didn't lose the fight because of the sweep. I'm pretty sure that the at the point of losing the fight he wasn't doing a sweep.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually trained pattern recognition in the sparring class. I so trained what I refer to as "Pattern Programing" which is where I want you to recognize my pattern, so I can change it up on you. So I do a pattern so that you'll learn it and then I change it up on you because I know you are expecting the pattern but you get something else. So I'll program you to recognize my pattern and then exploit that when you learn it.
Professional fighters do that a lot. If you see that my response to your x,y combo is to sidestep and counter, you change your pattern to x,z to intercept my jaw as I sidestep.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a picture of my high kick being exploited. The only thing that saved me, was the type of kick that I was doing and that we weren't going all out, and that my first kicking leg landed on his sweeping leg. It's a kung fu kick that invites the sweep and kicks with the second leg. In theory, I was supposed to jump off my standing leg to counter with a kick. The jump was supposed to keep me from being swept. But notice that he's exploiting the kick in the same manner that I've been describing.
upload_2020-12-29_21-21-25.png

This was my first try at this technique. My miscalculation was not to ask. "What if they sweep high? and I almost paid for it. Here you can see that I'm screwed. At the point I'm thinking that I just goofed and that the technique doesn't work as I was told. I would never use this technique to bait a sweep since it's requires that I jump too high, to clear a high sweep.
upload_2020-12-29_21-23-52.png

This is me standing on the knee of his sweeping leg. I didn't hit the ground and I didn't break his leg and I learned my lesson.
upload_2020-12-29_21-28-30.png

So I'm not sure why you think I'm perfect or why I'm the only one who sees how to deal with high kicks like that. The guy that I'm sparring with is a black belt and I've seen videos of him nailing sweeps in competition, so this wasn't a fluke for him. Had his sweep been harder, I wouldn't have been able to recover.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was taught "traditional" Hapkido used mainly low kicks and no high kicks.
I tried Tae Kwon Do years ago but for me all that acrobatic stuff is no use in a crowded bar. Never tried Hapkido but i have seen it. Lots of throws & locks. looked good. so there is different variations in each school/ organization?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried Tae Kwon Do years ago but for me all that acrobatic stuff is no use in a crowded bar. Never tried Hapkido but i have seen it. Lots of throws & locks. looked good. so there is different variations in each school/ organization?
A very big YES. It is very hard to paint schools of the same style/name with the same brush. Curriculums change from school to school. Even within the same school, instructor quality or how they are received is different. Somewhat on a person to person basis I think.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A very big YES. It is very hard to paint schools of the same style/name with the same brush. Curriculums change from school to school. Even within the same school, instructor quality or how they are received is different. Somewhat on a person to person basis I think.
OK cheers... I knew a girl who was into Tae Kwon do...she had a great set of legs & @ss. Guess all the leg work...haha but later she got hip problems as she told me she started at a very early age. was a black belt. Did the childrens training.
But yeah Hapkido looks good. Tae kwon do not my cup of tea.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a picture of my high kick being exploited. The only thing that saved me, was the type of kick that I was doing and that we weren't going all out, and that my first kicking leg landed on his sweeping leg. It's a kung fu kick that invites the sweep and kicks with the second leg. In theory, I was supposed to jump off my standing leg to counter with a kick. The jump was supposed to keep me from being swept. But notice that he's exploiting the kick in the same manner that I've been describing.
View attachment 23452

This was my first try at this technique. My miscalculation was not to ask. "What if they sweep high? and I almost paid for it. Here you can see that I'm screwed. At the point I'm thinking that I just goofed and that the technique doesn't work as I was told. I would never use this technique to bait a sweep since it's requires that I jump too high, to clear a high sweep.
View attachment 23453

This is me standing on the knee of his sweeping leg. I didn't hit the ground and I didn't break his leg and I learned my lesson.
View attachment 23454

So I'm not sure why you think I'm perfect or why I'm the only one who sees how to deal with high kicks like that. The guy that I'm sparring with is a black belt and I've seen videos of him nailing sweeps in competition, so this wasn't a fluke for him. Had his sweep been harder, I wouldn't have been able to recover.
I jumping into the middle of the thread somewhat but there could be a lot of critique about your kick that allowed the sweep to work.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I jumping into the middle of the thread somewhat but there could be a lot of critique about your kick that allowed the sweep to work.
It was the type of kick that I was doing. It wasn't a round house. It was a kick that was said to bait the sweep with one leg and you hop over the sweep with the other leg.

Critique the kick all you want, I'm going back to the drawing board on that. It's 2 steps away from me classifying as an exercises and not an actual kick to use in fighting. It may train flexibility for other kicks but, avoid a sweep? I just don't see how. I'll try to find a video of the kick so you can know which one I was going for.

The technique uses a double kick, both which are done high in training, but from that one experience and video review. Totally a bad idea.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was the type of kick that I was doing. It wasn't a round house. It was a kick that was said to bait the sweep with one leg and you hop over the sweep with the other leg.

Critique the kick all you want, I'm going back to the drawing board on that. It's 2 steps away from me classifying as an exercises and not an actual kick to use in fighting. It may train flexibility for other kicks but, avoid a sweep? I just don't see how. I'll try to find a video of the kick so you can know which one I was going for.

The technique uses a double kick, both which are done high in training, but from that one experience and video review. Totally a bad idea.
Thanks, I would like to see the video and know what the kick is called.

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I quoted it.

From all the reading you claim to have done, how much have you found that is contradictory or clearly improbable? You keep accusing others of cherry picking and yet that is clearly what you do. You side-step what doesn't agree with what you want to argue and post it as fact..

Even so, I feel sorry for you. You have a drive to interact with people, but apparently no skills to do so with a hope of of having a normal useful conversation as men do. You seem only to wish to be considered the only one full of knowledge and experience. And in the way you go about it you continue to prove you are not.

I would hope you have some good qualities; most people do. Show them. You will probably come out with more respect than you know what to do with.