Hapkido in the later years

H Whalen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I sit and enjoy my Saturday morning coffee with No rush to fight traffic. I enjoy my time reevaluate and contemplate life and Hapkido uninterrupted. I am curious of how many older Hapkido practitioners are still training ,teaching and involved in the art. I still train and teach the students that are with me have been with me for many years the youngest is 48 LOL.... the oldest is 68 all of them are Black Belts.

I am in a sense the father of Hapkido in the Boston area I started teaching at a local YMCA in Quincy Ma in 1979.Back then I was the only Hapkido instructor in the area. In Springfield there was a Hapkido Instructor named Mike Wollmerhauser, we were the only Hapkido in the State of Massachusetts. I am not sure if there are any other legitimate Hapkido Dojangs around?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I sit and enjoy my Saturday morning coffee with No rush to fight traffic. I enjoy my time reevaluate and contemplate life and Hapkido uninterrupted. I am curious of how many older Hapkido practitioners are still training ,teaching and involved in the art. I still train and teach the students that are with me have been with me for many years the youngest is 48 LOL.... the oldest is 68 all of them are Black Belts.

I am in a sense the father of Hapkido in the Boston area I started teaching at a local YMCA in Quincy Ma in 1979.Back then I was the only Hapkido instructor in the area. In Springfield there was a Hapkido Instructor named Mike Wollmerhauser, we were the only Hapkido in the State of Massachusetts. I am not sure if there are any other legitimate Hapkido Dojangs around?
Harold! My favorite Hapkido man of all time! I remember those days quite well, my friend. I remember Mike, too. I hope you are both well, I hope Mike is still with us.
Regards, always.
Otto

OP
H Whalen

H Whalen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Harold! My favorite Hapkido man of all time! I remember those days quite well, my friend. I remember Mike, too. I hope you are both well, I hope Mike is still with us.
Regards, always.
Otto
Mike passed away in 2003 from cancer his group has splintered and I talk with a few of his later students. I am still around a few years older and most of my students have moved on with their lives. I still teach several of my older Black Belts that have been with me for an average of 27 years.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mike passed away in 2003 from cancer his group has splintered and I talk with a few of his later students. I am still around a few years older and most of my students have moved on with their lives. I still teach several of my older Black Belts that have been with me for an average of 27 years.
I’m sorry to hear that Mike passed. He was a good man. I’ll PM you later.