hands and head

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of the hawaiain kempo techniques i have learn and the shaolin kempo techniques include punches to the head. My guess is that htias is b/c of the boxing component from our kajukenbo heritage. However, punching the head with out gloves can cause a lot of damage to us. Should techniques be modified to take this into consideration? All or some or none?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
marlon said:
Many of the hawaiain kempo techniques i have learn and the shaolin kempo techniques include punches to the head. My guess is that htias is b/c of the boxing component from our kajukenbo heritage. However, punching the head with out gloves can cause a lot of damage to us. Should techniques be modified to take this into consideration? All or some or none?

Respectfully,
Marlon
This holds true with pretty much all arts, they teach you to punch to the head, it's just most don't show you to hit a specific part of the head. One of the first things I teach my students is to never hit to the front of the face with any weapon. Teeth are dislodged into knuckles and heel palms all the time, and striking to the bridge of the nose will most certainly cause a hemorrhage. I don't want to catch whatever it is they MAY have by them bleeding out. Not to mention the fact that most people don't condition their hands for impact to any target, much less a hard one like the head. I've seen lots of people break their own weapons hitting an opponent. All this talk about speed and power is cool until you realize just how fragile the human body is if not conditioned properly.

DarK LorD

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
marlon said:

Respectfully,
Marlon

Elbows, hammerfists and palms, even used in a slapping fashion are all other options that you can use. Even with a glove, it does not always ensure that your hand will be free from a break. Not having proper hand position is one of the main causes of a break.

Mike

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon said:

Respectfully,
Marlon
The answer is, it depends. If punching to the head with bare knuckles, be sure to have good accuracy in your targets. A straight, lead-hand jab, for example, to the nose (hence, a soft spot) can end a fight really quick without causing damage to your hand. The same can be said of a back-knuckle strike to say, the temple or jaw area (think of the quick back-knuckle at the end of Alternating Maces).

But, you're right. A claw down the opponent's face is just outright nasty, as are leopard strikes to the throat, handswords to the neck, heelpalms to the chin, ect. All of these are relatively safe to your hands, while lethal to your opponent.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
The answer is, it depends. If punching to the head with bare knuckles, be sure to have good accuracy in your targets. A straight, lead-hand jab, for example, to the nose (hence, a soft spot) can end a fight really quick without causing damage to your hand. The same can be said of a back-knuckle strike to say, the temple or jaw area (think of the quick back-knuckle at the end of Alternating Maces).

But, you're right. A claw down the opponent's face is just outright nasty, as are leopard strikes to the throat, handswords to the neck, heelpalms to the chin, ect. All of these are relatively safe to your hands, while lethal to your opponent.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook
Been paying attention huh? Mr. Parker always said to me, "Hit hard with soft, hit soft with hard." Simple.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marlon said:

Respectfully,
Marlon
It does not come from "Kajukenbo", since punches to the head are pretty rare in Kajukenbo. In fact right now I can't really think of any of our techniques that have head punches, other then a few uppercuts.
We do train against a attacker who attempts to punch you in the face like a boxer would, but that's not how we counter strike.
Most of our strikes to the head are either bottomfist or chops to the jaw hinge, uppercuts under the jaw (a few), or eye pokes and rakes.
Many of the Kajukenbo hand strikes are rooted in the Escrima premise of limb destruction, in that the muscles or joints of the attacking limb are struck or disjointed.
I'm in total agreement, that you don't strike a target thats stronger then the tool that your hitting it with.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Been paying attention huh? Mr. Parker always said to me, "Hit hard with soft, hit soft with hard." Simple.
With your knowledge Doc, I will give you the title of Yoda, as long as I can be Obi-Wan.

Jamie Seabrook

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
With your knowledge Doc, I will give you the title of Yoda, as long as I can be Obi-Wan.

Hey Jamie,

I'm afraid that role is already taken ask anyone who was in Ryans Bar while we were over recently the number of Jedi's in that place was unbelieveable :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenposikh said:
Hey Jamie,

I'm afraid that role is already taken ask anyone who was in Ryans Bar while we were over recently the number of Jedi's in that place was unbelieveable :)
Yeah there are several of my students that would give you a run for that one. Wake up Amerik, I didn't hit you that hard. :)

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Yeah there are several of my students that would give you a run for that one. Wake up Amerik, I didn't hit you that hard. :)
I don't like your tone Doc. It sounds like you are part of some council, ripping me out of my Jedi title. I may may have to seek knowledge from other forces, lol.

Jamie Seabrook

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I don't like your tone Doc. It sounds like you are part of some council, ripping me out of my Jedi title. I may may have to seek knowledge from other forces, lol.

Jamie Seabrook
Duh! Where you gonna go? I'm already on the dark side. These are not the droids you're looking for. Go on about your business.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score

Respectfully,
Marlon

Hello Marlon,

I would say the big issue for SK with head shots would be DM #3. The only other knuckle strike early on is the back punch to the chin of #2. I wouldn't worry to much about someone breaking a knuckle by missing the chin, but it is a very real issue with 3 since a small miss on the back punch could hit some thick areas of the skull. I would say it is a good idea to teach it as a palm strike first and a back punch later. How many yellow belts have such good accuracy that they would be unlikely to miss a moving temple.

I was told by one of the Masters that 3 long ago was a brown belt technique. That does not surprise me since it has so many details and requires excellent accuracy so that you don't break the knuckle.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
one relevant point is the kind of training that was done until we americans got hold of the art (no judgment here -- i think it's evolved positively for the most part).

practicioners used to condition their hands in ways we would consider insane. punching trees. treating fractures with linaments to produce bone scarring. it wasn't uncommon for old-timers to have frozen joints in their hands and fingers.

the idea of punching the head came from those hard core old-timers (even older than doc and his contemporaries).

punching a head with that sort of hand isn't terribly risky.

punching a head with a hand used to typing at a keyboard or even just pulling beer out of a truck -- that's a recipe for trouble.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello Marlon,

I would say the big issue for SK with head shots would be DM #3. The only other knuckle strike early on is the back punch to the chin of #2. I wouldn't worry to much about someone breaking a knuckle by missing the chin, but it is a very real issue with 3 since a small miss on the back punch could hit some thick areas of the skull. I would say it is a good idea to teach it as a palm strike first and a back punch later. How many yellow belts have such good accuracy that they would be unlikely to miss a moving temple.

I was told by one of the Masters that 3 long ago was a brown belt technique. That does not surprise me since it has so many details and requires excellent accuracy so that you don't break the knuckle.

Well, IMHO, hitting the tip of the chin wth the back of my hand seems a heck of a lot more likely to injure my hand than the back-2-knuckle punch to the head, even in the worst case.

In #3 the back fist could miss the temple, but even if it hits the hardest part of the skull, I don't think you are going to be able to get enough resistance to your force there to break your hand. The head is too mobile on top of a body that should be out of balance. The upward angle of the blow should cause the hand to skip off. The position of your body at this point in the technique also limits the amount of power than can really be developed in this shot, too - this is not a high-power blow here.

Crashing my carpal bones perpenidcular into the tip of the mandible, now that's a recipe for fracture....

just my opinion, I;ve never been actually injured by either.

-D

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, IMHO, hitting the tip of the chin wth the back of my hand seems a heck of a lot more likely to injure my hand than the back-2-knuckle punch to the head, even in the worst case.

In #3 the back fist could miss the temple, but even if it hits the hardest part of the skull, I don't think you are going to be able to get enough resistance to your force there to break your hand. The head is too mobile on top of a body that should be out of balance. The upward angle of the blow should cause the hand to skip off. The position of your body at this point in the technique also limits the amount of power than can really be developed in this shot, too - this is not a high-power blow here.

Crashing my carpal bones perpenidcular into the tip of the mandible, now that's a recipe for fracture....

just my opinion, I;ve never been actually injured by either.

-D

From the way I was taught, the back 2 knuckle strike should be a glancing strike. Remember that you do have a hold of their shirt with the other hand. You're sorta pinning them so you can land the strike. Plus, also take into account that if you are doing this on the street, adrenaline kicks in. You won't feel a broken knuckle until 10 seconds later or something like that...I have to check my anatomy book just to make sure, so don't quote me on it.

Latest Discussions