hand conditioning side effects

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
the_end.jpg

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect to the young we are in a civilized society now and we have options of effecting striking and other combative defenses with out the long term effects of abusing ones various areas of the body that will take its toll in time. reasonable training so that you have balance and control of your body and that of your oponent should be a journey of health and building up ones overall ability and longevity something that is greatly ignored in the warrior gloring seeking ego of the hormonal young.I listenened to young men bragging about Kazuki fighting we had here over a decade ago no pads full contact and it was said it was enough to survive the match not win and Pain is your friend completely missing the use of Pain as an instruction tool in learning both the effect on your self and implied intent to another as in manipulation one must share that in a controled way to actually become proficient and grow in knowledge with the master sharing in the pain to know if it is being applied properly and the student trusting the master not to be a sadist just enjoying abusing the student. I laugh at past thier prime women bragging about kicking the crap out of each other at some of our national seminars in thier youth training and now over weight becasue they are too crippled to do cardio enough to push thier posterior ends away from the table becasue they have a multitude of injuries from that abuse. A person should be able to defend themselves if they loose the use of one hand then one foot to utilize all portions of the body and what ever is laying around if needed but better yet not be there in the first place.Mas used to puch trees to kill them by removing all the bark then move on to the next he had tremendous power but at what cost and many who followed in this concept had extreme problems with thier hands in later years. Longevity being able to do anything you want when you are 70-90 with your family should be your goal of training and conditioning I only need on finger to kill so does any 7 year old whats to brag about that I have yet to see anyone atacked by boards or bricks in an alley yet but given the use of bath salts that may be changing?
You seem to be talking about the extremes of 'conditioning'. I'm not talking about not wearing any protective gear and beating the daylights out of each other to become tough, or bashing planks of wood across someone's chest, I'm talking about striking a canvas bag filled with beans for 10-15 minutes and applying some ointment. And this isn't so I can break through a brick wall with a fist, or break someone's bones by striking, this is so that while I'm in training, my hands are more used to impact so I can keep training without doing a number on them. Improper conditioning will cause long-term damage, sure, as will recklessly putting your body under serious trauma. Proper conditioning has it's place in MA, if that's what you need for your training. You don't have to do it, but it can help.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Should i go see an instructor to do knuckle push up, My usual pushup form is good, so why would i need an instructor?

Because you might be doing it wrong. :uhyeah:
Not saying that you specifically are, but the reality is that these exercises (specifically hand conditioning) can do damage if done improperly, so it's always a good idea to talk to an instructor and get the proper method.

And for the record, I do go to my instructor asking for proper ways to do pushups, just in case :)

Sanke on the move.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two facts;

There are consequences in conditioning

Many do not really need to do this

Uh.... no, that's a vague truism that has almost no real applicability and an opinion. No facts present at all.

Should i go see an instructor to do knuckle push up, My usual pushup form is good, so why would i need an instructor?

Because knuckle pushups have a different position than normal ones, due to increased stress on the wrists. You need to be shown how to line your forearms and wrists up properly in order to not damage yourself.

In simple terms, you need an instructor who knows what they're doing to teach you.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In a word... Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD. Please excuse typos & brevity of posts.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because knuckle pushups have a different position than normal ones, due to increased stress on the wrists. You need to be shown how to line your forearms and wrists up properly in order to not damage yourself.
Ah, I think I see. The fists need to be placed farther down the body to maintain alignment, no?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I figured it wasn't that far off the topic of hand conditioning, and we were talking about it for three posts before. But if you're referring to the previous few pages, no, you're right, we weren't talking about knuckle pushups -- but we weren't really talking about hand conditioning, were we? :D

So, I'll drop the knuckle pushups and wait for some useful information on hand conditioning. Although "seek expert advice and train properly" might be the best advice one can get in a forum.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I figured it wasn't that far off the topic of hand conditioning, and we were talking about it for three posts before. But if you're referring to the previous few pages, no, you're right, we weren't talking about knuckle pushups -- but we weren't really talking about hand conditioning, were we? :D

So, I'll drop the knuckle pushups and wait for some useful information on hand conditioning. Although "seek expert advice and train properly" might be the best advice one can get in a forum.

"seek expert advice and train properly".....there are many who claim to teach expert and train improperly

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
"seek expert advice and train properly".....there are many who claim to teach expert and train improperly

Then study, do the foot work, find out what it is and what it is supposed to be and ask a lot of questions before you train.

And to be completely honest your above post could be applied to just about anything that people want to train or learn... it is a rather generic comment actually

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anybody want to guess why this thread feels like practicing Bagua?

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Then study, do the foot work, find out what it is and what it is supposed to be and ask a lot of questions before you train.

And to be completely honest your above post could be applied to just about anything that people want to train or learn... it is a rather generic comment actually

The problem is that the beiginner cannot make a distinction if they are training properly from a improper instructor...sometimes until it maybe too late

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The problem is that the beiginner cannot make a distinction if they are training properly from a improper instructor...sometimes until it maybe too late

Not wanting to carry this thread on to much longer because I tend to be in agreement with clfsean here

So then I can conclude by your posts that your solution is to not do anything at all. Am I correct on this? Because if it is since there are a lot of improper instructor out there in the world of MA that do not kow what they're doing and they can and do hurt people with everything from form, application, and stretching so I am guessing then, based on your posts, that we should all just go home, put on our protective gear and sit in the recliner and do nothing else.

Since iron palm training tends to be something that is done as part of a martial art I am going under the assumption that a beginner is not out looking for an Iron palm class. I am also working under the assumption that a beginner can read, walk, and find out what it is supposed to be by study, as well as have an interest to look into in any art they train and not follow blindly. I am also assuming they can tell when things just don't feel right and that they are capable of independent thought as well.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not wanting to carry this thread on to much longer because I tend to be in agreement with clfsean here

So then I can conclude by your posts that your solution is to not do anything at all. Am I correct on this? Because if it is since there are a lot of improper instructor out there in the world of MA that do not kow what they're doing and they can and do hurt people with everything from form, application, and stretching so I am guessing then, based on your posts, that we should all just go home, put on our protective gear and sit in the recliner and do nothing else.

Your conclusion is incorrect

Latest Discussions