Halloween Film Recommendations?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the Polish film ā€˜Hell Holeā€™ last night and really enjoyed it. It was a bit ā€˜Angel Heartā€™ in that the main protagonists is being swept along without really knowing whatā€™s going on, but itā€™s done well. The ending of this film is excellent - good film endings are a rarity these day. Highly recommended if you like the demoticonšŸ˜ˆ

My favourite Halloween film, however, is classic 60s Hammer film, ā€˜The Devil Rides Outā€™. Christopher Lee, Charles Gray, Patrick Mower (I sat next to him on a plane once, as a child!) and even Paul Eddington of Yes Minister/The Good Life fame (if you a Brit of a certain age).

Anyone else have any horror film recommendations (preferable on Netflix or Prime)?

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't really say why but I watch Thirteen Ghost each year. It is one of those movies that I always think could have been really good with a little more CG work and better casting.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't really say why but I watch Thirteen Ghost each year. It is one of those movies that I always think could have been really good with a little more CG work and better casting.
I seem to remember there was great anger at the poster for this film from fans of the band Dream Theater (me included) as it was very similar to the cover of their superb 1999 album ā€˜Scenes from a Memoryā€™.
B83655FB-D706-46A7-9FFF-837D1A57E8DF.jpeg
9F9CFAE1-51D8-46E7-9420-B94BF2CB9B51.jpeg

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very underrated flick.

Tony Shalhoub is all I need to watch something. That would be enough for me

And over the heads of most people, IMHO. Any time symbolisms get mashed into a sci Fi or horror film, people's heads struggle to keep up. It's like a big distraction from the actual plot...runes and glyphs all over.

The Da Vinci Code was famous for this but did it well. Ridiculous plot, but everyone was like a rat on the Pied Pipers tune with the symbols. Rat, meet maze. Cheddar lies within. :D

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very underrated flick.

Tony Shalhoub is all I need to watch something. That would be enough for me

And over the heads of most people, IMHO. Any time symbolisms get mashed into a sci Fi or horror film, people's heads struggle to keep up. It's like a big distraction from the actual plot...runes and glyphs all over.
Is it worth a watch then?
The Da Vinci Code was famous for this but did it well. Ridiculous plot, but everyone was like a rat on the Pied Pipers tune with the symbols. Rat, meet maze. Cheddar lies within. :D
I love ā€˜Da Vinci Codeā€™!

I think my mother-in-law was also part of the Sacred ā€˜bloodlineā€™, like Sophie Neveu, on account of her incredible powers of exorcism. Every time she came to my house, sheā€™d makes all the spirits disappear šŸ¹šŸ„‚ šŸ˜‰

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it worth a watch then?

I love ā€˜Da Vinci Codeā€™!

I think my mother-in-law was also part of the Sacred ā€˜bloodlineā€™, like Sophie Neveu, on account of her incredible powers of exorcism. Every time she came to my house, sheā€™d makes all the spirits disappear šŸ¹šŸ„‚ šŸ˜‰
It's worth a watch. It's what they call nowadays "elevated horror". Very existential and thought provoking, on top of slasher fair. The CG was good for its time.

Good horror movies have always been social commentary, but back in the 70's it was hard to see for most viewers. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, etc weren't well understood at the time but there were groundbreakers. 13 Ghosts is one of those good horror movies that most people walk out thinking "what just happened".

I liked the Da Vinci movie with Tom Hanks. I'll bet most people's minds were blown in the first few scenes when he shows that the Swastika is a Buddhist symbol.

*Boom*

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet most people's minds were blown in the first few scenes when he shows that the Swastika is a Buddhist symbol.

*Boom*
Apparently Japanese tourist boards have removed the swastika (manj) from tourist maps where they indicated Buddhist temples for fear of upsetting Western tourists. It should be noted that the Buddhist swastika has the distal ends of the arms pointing anti-clockwise where as the bad one has itā€™s distal ends pointing clockwise.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ā€˜The Ninth Gateā€™ is another excellent film for Halloween. Devilry, murder-mystery, grimoire and duplicity (and the most beautiful, sexy ā€˜angelā€™ Iā€™ve ever seen)

Latest Discussions