Had an idea kinda

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking of taking sometime to wander around the country, kinda back pack through america. I gotta hear the commits on this one, may be I have watched to much kung-fu lol.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are many people who do this. Check out forYouth Hostles (cheap places to stay.)

You will find these people who wonders around are in the thousands and thousands.

If this is what you want to do? ...go for it...best of luck ..........aloha

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I was rich, single, with no children, that would be something I would consider doing. As long as you have nothing tying you down, go for it.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
not quite the same thing, but I took two weeks to travel across America and Canada by Harley last year before my wedding. It was fantastic. I camped most of the way and had a lifetime of experiences packed into fourteen incredible days.

If you've got the time and freedom - do it.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have the means to do so, go for it. I've been fortunate in that I've seen most of this great land and the variety of people, places, ways of life and mannerisms I've had the pleasure to encounter is something I'll be forever grateful for.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have the time and means, go for it! I have been coast to coast and top to bottom of the lower 48 and it is amazing how many great people you will find. Just don't stick to the "mainstream", to really see America at it's best, you have to go from large cities to tiny towns. I've been invited to ox roasts in the mid-west, a pig roast in eastern Colorado, Sitting around an old cracker barrel (literally a cracker barrel) in Nevada playing checkers with the "old Timers" in the only gas station/corner store/post office. Never forget the snow/ice storm I sat out in Montana with a local couple that "just couldn't let someone wait in a gas station alone" so they stayed for a couple of hours until the main road was clear and I could get over the pass and on my way (Bozeman, MT I love ya!)
Ever sat on the brush-guard of a police cruiser in backwoods Mississippi and traded barbs with the officer about why both of you are too "chicken" to hurry an allagator off the warm road so both of you could be on your way? I have, and would have missed it if I took the freeway.

I could go on for a LONG -LONG time about the great times I've had traveling this great country, but the best way to do it, is to go live it! Have fun, and keep us posted about the great time you WILL have. If you get the chance, poke up into our Northern neighbor as well, I've gone all over Canada and found the people to be great as well (except a few in Quebec. LOL)

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, no brainer! DO IT! GO! Travel! Enrich yourself. Meet people, learn new things, have fun, live in the moment!!! Go on, you know you want to! :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have to go with the others as well...if you have the means to do it, go for it!! Nothing like taking a trip to visit a place or places that you've never been to, as well as also working some training time into the trip.

Mike

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Backpack thru America?
Well I know for sure it has got to be expensive. R U sure u wanna do it over here? You wouldnt prefer another country?
Not to sound so down on america but I really dont see where a person could go here in this country to really backpack.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Backpack thru America?
Well I know for sure it has got to be expensive. R U sure u wanna do it over here? You wouldnt prefer another country?
Not to sound so down on america but I really dont see where a person could go here in this country to really backpack.
Are you serious?

Here's a couple of thoughts:

http://www.nps.gov/lecl/ (Lewis & Clark Trail - 3700 miles)

http://www.nps.gov/appa/ (Appalachian Trail - 2174 miles)

Both brimming with history and scenery.

I'm an avid wilderness backpacker/camper, but I must admit my longest single trek is 83 miles, in the mountains in Northern New Mexico. To do a real "cross-country" trek is a life-long dream of mine.
My son is currently involved in a bicycle trek from San Francisco to Washington, DC. I'm living vicariously through him for the moment!

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Are you serious?

Here's a couple of thoughts:

http://www.nps.gov/lecl/ (Lewis & Clark Trail - 3700 miles)

http://www.nps.gov/appa/ (Appalachian Trail - 2174 miles)

Both brimming with history and scenery.

I'm an avid widerness backpacker/camper, but I must admit my longest single trek is 83 miles, in the mountains in Northern New Mexico. To do a real "cross-country" trek is a life-long dream of mine.
My son is currently involved in a bicycle trek from San Francisco to Washington, DC. I'm living vicariously through him for the moment!

Lol, at least you're honest mate.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it sounds like the experience of a lifetime although i would probably bicycle since I think the walk would take too long for me! :0)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can do it, do it. Here's the thing: if you don't now, you'll not be able to later, and wish you had. So, do yourself a favour and get lost as soon as possible.

Take a can opener.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
If you can do it, do it. Here's the thing: if you don't now, you'll not be able to later, and wish you had. So, do yourself a favour and get lost as soon as possible.

Take a can opener.

Great Advice. I wish someone had said that to me years ago!

btw, I ALWAYS have a can opener and a corkscrew in my pack.
Life is a "moveable feast"....be prepared!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you want to and you can, then do it... the "what ifs" years later can drive you crazy.

If you do go can we call you Kwai Chang Dark when you return? :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dark said:
I was thinking of taking sometime to wander around the country, kinda back pack through america. I gotta hear the commits on this one, may be I have watched to much kung-fu lol.
Hey there mister Dark :) this is a great idea and I did this exact thing a few years back and went NY right across to SF and of course all the usual touristy things from the tour of J Edger Hoover building to the top of Sears to Henry Ford museum to Mt Rushmore to the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake and Yellowstone and Manns Chinese Theatre and lots of great sights but the best of the best is to go off the beaten track and this is where all the great stuff is if you take your backpack and be a little independent (with your wits about you getting into strange trucks ha! yes absolutely) and the people are wonderful and a truly amazing country which I would be cheeky and say Americans do not value or pay attention to as much as it is worth...

and the thing that amazed me the most is how many great folk I met in out of the way little places who said to me that they had never even been out of their state let alone across the country and were envious of ME? which I could not imagine and I think this is a pity because it is a fantastically diverse place and I would love to go back if anyone would have me

and if you can.. try to find Solvang which is just the weirdest thing and a little Danish town yes! in California and all the wonderful Danish buildings and architecture and old thatched roofs which is just the oddest thing and amazing to see and meet the people there too... just my little 2 cents tip for ya..

oh and I am SO thankful and grateful I got to the viewing deck in WTC and that was only months before what happened and yes this might just be an indicator that you should pack your essentials and I recommend travelling fast and light and do all this while you can while it is there and before you get caught up and overtaken by everything else...

Good luck and let us know how you go.. :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the words of Lou Reed...

Talk a walk on the wild side!

GO for it! You only live once!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score