Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in Kyles closed guard, head down and have secured his biceps

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-1.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 194
In one motion my hands go to his throat and I jump to my feet (both feet, same time) posting off his throat... or collar bones if you like your partner.

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-2.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 199
Immediately I start punching with one hand, keeping weight on his throat with the other. If there is a pause here he has the opportunity to sweep you.

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-3.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 191
Kyle will be forced to break guard in order to defend himself, as soon as this happens I stand up straight and pop my hips forward.

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-4.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-4.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 183
And this is where the pictures make litle sense on their own... I step over him in a kicking sort of motion with my right foot breaking out of his guard and ending up in a transition position like this.

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-5.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-5.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 197
I step again with my right foot turning to my left and placing my knee in his hip to prevent him from recovering guard as I secure my position. It is important to note that this is one fluid motion, pausing at the previous picture will not get you passed his guard.

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-6.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-6.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 194
I then drop into and secure a side mounted position

Attachments

• $mmaguardpass-7.jpg
    $mmaguardpass-7.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 198
Couldn't you just stop the crap out of your opponent as soon as you stood up? You had a perfect opportunity without having to pass the one up one down/open guard. Why go back down?

upnorthkyosa said:
Couldn't you just stop the crap out of your opponent as soon as you stood up? You had a perfect opportunity without having to pass the one up one down/open guard. Why go back down?

Unless he is already hurt or has no skill in groundfighting he is most likely going to recover his guard very quickly

Yeah, if you stay down he'll wrap those arms around your torso and weigh you down while getting his guard secured again, for example.

If he had a good armbar he would have used it the moment you grabbed his throat. Do not extend your arms like that while in the guard. A good submissions guy would have torn it off.

No he wouldn't have. Not unless you pause in there. It's hard to armbar someone when you are getting punched in the face, and what you are waiting for is him to open his legs, as soon as that happens you pop your hips and stand up. The arm bar is only possible if you are sloppy.

I have seen it happen in fights time and again. You would be better served keeping your hand off his throat and on his thigh or his hip to push his legs down. As you stand and draw back all he has to do is turn, throw a leg over your face and secure the armbar.

I've had good luck using the push choke when in someone's guard (assuming they're wearing a gi). It got to the point where the instructor stopped us rolling one day and showed everyone how to escape it because I kept getting people with it. You could almost hear them thinking "Oh, he can't possibly choke me from here" and then finding they were turning red.

Choking out beginners who don't know any better is not really proof something works. The first time I tried to escape an armbar I thought straightening my arm and sliding it out would work. It didn't.

WilliamJ said:
I have seen it happen in fights time and again. You would be better served keeping your hand off his throat and on his thigh or his hip to push his legs down. As you stand and draw back all he has to do is turn, throw a leg over your face and secure the armbar.

Give it a try, it's not that simple ;) And once again, you are baiting this, you want him to unhook his legs.

My armbar is not that quick. I would just use the arm to yank you back down. Some of my training partners however, would armbar that in a heart beat. Just pointing out the risk involved in the pass, people need to be aware of it so they can stop it if they feel the guy move.

I have yet to see someone that can move from a closed guard to a arm bar faster then someone can throw a punch...

Give it a try.

I have seen it, watch Fedor v Coleman for a good example of how quickly it can happen. Alot of guys will take the punch and still get the armbar anyways.

A training partner of mine got caught that way by Marcello Monterio of ATT. He pounded the hell out of Marcello but Marcello managed to finish the armbar anyways.

Once again, give it a try. If you do this right getting an armbar of it is very very difficult.

Remember, you are driving into him, stacking him a little, keep your head down until you start hitting, and as soon as his feet unhook pull up and pop forward. Don't try this from your knees either.

Latest Discussions

Back