GSP versus Hughes for interim title.

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Big news in the UFC.

Matt Serra pulls out of his fighter with Matt Hughes due to a herniated disc in his back.
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8808

So who do they get to fight instead. Good old GSP of course. In a rubber match with Matt Hughes for the interim title until Serra is healed to fight again.
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8811

I am definately super excited for a Hughes GSP rubber match and Chuck Liddel versus Wanderlei Silva on the same card. Should be unreal.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good, I may have not seen the Liddel/Silva fight had they not made the Hughes/St Pierre deal. Ought to be a good night.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good at least they found a good match since Serra pulled out!
icon6.gif

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have the feeling that GSP is going to walk all over poor Matt again?

OP
C

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure that he will dominate. I guess it depends on how hard he has been training while he didn't have a fight signed. He jumped in with realisticly about three weeks of hard training. And we know Hughes was gunning hard for this fight. I think GSP will show up with a good game plan, I'm just curious if he'll be in really good shape. You know Hughes is coming into this fight in amazing shape, especially because it's a five rounder. I love GSP but I wonder if he'll be in good enough shape for a real war.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even consider the short time GSP has to work with. Maybe it will be a better fight then I first thought. As long as it doesn't turn into a Ortiz/Shamrock fight that only lasts 2 minutes I'll be happy.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Im a bit concerned with why Matt would take this fight with such short notice.

Serra and GSP are two completely different fighters, both of which you would train very different to beat them.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im a bit concerned with why Matt would take this fight with such short notice.

Serra and GSP are two completely different fighters, both of which you would train very different to beat them.

This is a dangerous fight for Matt but I am sure he was given little lee way whether he could take it or not.

OP
C

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ya but Hughes has done gameplan for GSP twice before already. Technique wise I think he can get into a gameplan for GSP easier than GSP can get in shape for a 25 minute war. This is going to be a test for St. Pierre I think.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya but Hughes has done gameplan for GSP twice before already. Technique wise I think he can get into a gameplan for GSP easier than GSP can get in shape for a 25 minute war. This is going to be a test for St. Pierre I think.

lol I think Matt got that second game plan a little wrong. ( :

Im not so sure, its common knowledge that Matt Hughes stand up is not up to the level of GSP, and he doesnt really have that much time to improve it before the fight.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was hoping to see Hughes pound Serra into the ground. Not that I'm a huge fan of Hughes, but Serra is really annoying on this season's TUF.

When Serra feels up to it will he fight the winner or loser of the Hughes/GSP fight first? Or, will he get Hughes either way?

OP
C

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping to see Hughes pound Serra into the ground. Not that I'm a huge fan of Hughes, but Serra is really annoying on this season's TUF.

When Serra feels up to it will he fight the winner or loser of the Hughes/GSP fight first? Or, will he get Hughes either way?

GSP and Hughes are fighting for an interim title. Like a title they'll hold until Serra is healthy enough to defend his title. So when Serra is healthy he'll fight the interim title holder. So probably the winner of Hughes and GSP. Then whoever wins that fight will be the undisputed title holder.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm dissapointed that Serra is not gonna be able to fight. Serra's always a good time anytime you see him. Hughes, though I like how talented he is I can't stand him as a person, oh and his constant talking about his religion drives me nutz.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's funny that most people outside of NY don't like Serra and think he's annoying while us here love the guy and don't find him annoying at all. Now people from Boston, they are annoying.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's funny that most people outside of NY don't like Serra and think he's annoying while us here love the guy and don't find him annoying at all. Now people from Boston, they are annoying.

People usually love their hometown guy no matter how much of an **** they make of themselves. Bisping is another one that comes to mind.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
People usually love their hometown guy no matter how much of an **** they make of themselves. Bisping is another one that comes to mind.

I'll accept that. He's a pretty cool guy though, him and a couple guys from his gym used to come into a pizza place I used to work. All great guys, first time I met him we got to talking about Karate and Jujitsu, next thing I know the guy's writing his number on a card for me to come by the dojo. Cool dude.

Oh, and Bisping annoys me, but that's the accent I think.

OP
C

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes I hate Matt Serra. Sometimes I think he's cool though. Actually. Thinking back on it, I only really like him in comparison to Matt Hughes. I'm a huge GSP fan though. Bisping I liked the most when he was fighting in London. It just seemed kind of epic to watch the whole crowd go nuts as Bisping walks in to the arena with London Calling by the Clash playing.

Latest Discussions