Greetings

kgoffin

White Belt
Reaction score
Howdy.

I'm Ken, I've lurked here on and off for a few years. Thought maybe I'd actually participate here and there.

My background is kinda mixed. I did Lima Lama for about 6 months when I was 15, wish I could have kept it up, but I was a broke kid. Law enforcement use of force in my 20's, along with some Kali. Got into some fights, did well enough, but before long I decided I'd rather use verbal judo than the physical alternative. I was a use of force trainer for awhile. Did some Combat Hapkido after I got married. Got out of law enforcement and stopped training in general for awhile. Now I'm back to practicing my basics while I look for a decent school in my local area.

So that's the overview. I know a little bit of a lot of stuff, but I have some real life experience.

OP
kgoffin

kgoffin

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Lima lama rings a bell is from Tonga or Samoa?

OP
kgoffin

kgoffin

White Belt
Reaction score
I was taught that it was a Polynesian hybrid system with a heavy emphasis on kenpo. The name itself means "Hand of Wisdom". We used a specific gesture to "pay respect", according to my teacher, the founder said that we should bow to no one but God. Mind you, I'm remembering things from over 15 years ago.

Back when I was in college, I was talking with a mentor who had a kenpo background and at least one of the forms we both knew were nearly identical. Sorry for the late reply.

Regards,

Latest Discussions