Green Belt Tuite

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following vids are some basic joint locking techniques that are taught for the green belt level in our school. We view joint locking techniques conceptually...just like we view any technique.

There are certain ways the body is supposed to bend and there are ways it isn't supposed to bend. Rather then trying to teach 100 ways to bend another persons body in the wrong way, we teach a few here and a few there. Then we teach the concept so the student can figure out a number of ways for themselves.

One of the main goals of this method is so that a student may look at a kata that they are performing and "see" the tuite techniques within it. Another one of the goals is for the student to be able to improvise joint locking techniques when the pressure is on in sparring situations.

The following vids demonstrate a few ways of bending the body in ways that it isn't supposed to bend.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wrist Tuite

Attachments

• $Koto Gaye Osh.AVI
    285.8 KB · Views: 122
  • $Eekyo 1.AVI
    331.2 KB · Views: 113
  • $Eekyo 2.AVI
    230.7 KB · Views: 118
  • $Nikyo.AVI
    406.1 KB · Views: 116
  • $Sankyo.AVI
    628.5 KB · Views: 114
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ude Tori Tuite

Attachments

• $Ude Tori 3.AVI
    437.5 KB · Views: 101
  • $Ude Tori 2.AVI
    440.8 KB · Views: 122
  • $Ude Tori 1.AVI
    386.7 KB · Views: 108
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Arm Winding tuite

Attachments

• $Ude Garame 1.AVI
    464.5 KB · Views: 119
  • $Ude Garame 2.AVI
    471.9 KB · Views: 120
  • $Ude Garame 3.AVI
    462.8 KB · Views: 108

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good stuff, UpNKy---my own feeling is, this stuff should be taught `early and often' (i.e., the way voters being paid off by the NY Tammany Hall political machine in the late 19th c. were supposed to vote). Green belt does seem a good point to introduce these moves, and students should be encouraged to link the joint stresses shown in the vids with hard strikes to vital points that can be exposed by forcing the attacker's compliance through the use of these tuite moves.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good stuff, UpNKy---my own feeling is, this stuff should be taught `early and often' (i.e., the way voters being paid off by the NY Tammany Hall political machine in the late 19th c. were supposed to vote). Green belt does seem a good point to introduce these moves, and students should be encouraged to link the joint stresses shown in the vids with hard strikes to vital points that can be exposed by forcing the attacker's compliance through the use of these tuite moves.

I would agree with excile

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Green is the first belt color about White in TSD, so these are being taught at the beginner level. One of the things that I want my students to learn is the variety of ways that these locks can be applied. My goal is that eventually they will recognize the valid openings for their application.

This includes being able to apply these techniques from positions on the ground.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also agree that it is good to know such things and I appreciate the videos. It is this type of training that compelled me to add Chon-Tu Kwan HapKiDo training to my TKD studies.

I do have a problem with Ude Tori 2 as I think it puts you in to vulnerable of a position; in close with your back to the front of the agressor with his opposite hand free.

Thank you for sharing these videos.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do have a problem with Ude Tori 2 as I think it puts you in to vulnerable of a position; in close with your back to the front of the agressor with his opposite hand free.

The position on #2 isn't as important as the technique. This technique can be done in a number of positions, including on the ground from side mount...in which case it becomes the judo hold down jujigatame. I moved myself into this particular position in order to show the technique to the camera.

Anyway, this may be a vid that gets redone in order to eliminate confusion.

Latest Discussions