Great rendition of the National Anthem

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
What I can't stand is when you get someone who sings the national anthem and puts a little to much "soul" into it. Thats the only nice way that I can put it without sounding racist. But I think you all know what I mean. In my opinion if the anthem was meant to be sung like that then the person who wrote it would have written it that way. I say leave it alone and sing it like it was meant to be sung.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's been stated here before that the Star Spangled Banner is a difficult song to sing as it is.
But these girls (and subsquently anyone else for that matter) are tons better than Rosanne Barr's version any day.

Personally an anthem about a flag I think should not be. Actually I'd liked it if America The Beautiful was changed to be our National Anthem. Talks about the country that we love rather than the flag flying bravely over a battle. :idunno: but that's just me.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I can't stand is when you get someone who sings the national anthem and puts a little to much "soul" into it. Thats the only nice way that I can put it without sounding racist. But I think you all know what I mean. In my opinion if the anthem was meant to be sung like that then the person who wrote it would have written it that way. I say leave it alone and sing it like it was meant to be sung.

It wasn't "meant to be sung." It's difficult, as 'Caver pointed out, because it was first written as a poem, than grafted to the music . Francis Scott key wrote a poem called "The Defence of Fort McHenry," and it was later set to the tune of a British Drinking Song called To Anacreon in Heaven, which has an octave and a half range. Additionally, it is usually played in keys that make this range even more difficult-almost anyone could handle it in the key of G, instead of A or C# minor, as it usually is.

As for "souling it up," it's called performing, and it's what singers do. The rest of us in the audience can sing along "the way it was meant to be sung" as best we can, I guess....