Gracie Barra

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone train with Gracie Barra? Or with the Gracies at all? If so I have questions that I will be happy to PM you as opposed to taking up space here. Thanks.

Sean

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kind of a small question but how much do you pay per month? They have a ton of schools here in SoCal and I'll be training there soon. I just need to know how much I should budget. The govt don't pay as well as they should. Also, do they include the price of a gi in the membership at all? Otherwise I'll be the only dude there in a hakama and gi top. Thanks!

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
The cost is really going to depend on the area. Here in eastern GA it would be rare to pay over 100 dollars a month for unlimited classes. If price is a concern ask the instructors if they offer a military discount. Honestly southern california are going to have a lot of different BJJ instructors so don't limit yourself to just Gracie Barra, look around and see what you like first.

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I agree that there are plenty of great places to train however Gracie Barra is quite close AND some real good friends of mine train at another location and I have met Nelson Monteiro who runs the other location and he's good to go in my book. I suppose I could just call and ask, but I want to be prepared before I go.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Go in and try it out. Gracie Barra is a pretty big organization so there is a little bit of variation between schools. For the most part there is a set curriculum so everyone is learning the same thing.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have just started my training with a Gracie Barra School as of 2 weeks ago, and I love it. I observed the classes for a long time before joining and my son is training at the same center. The cost at this center is approx. $125, and it is only offering classes on tuesdays and thursdays. I don't know what part of California you are in but I would reccomend Gracie Barra. My instructor is a Brazilian named Magid Hage, with several BJJ championships to his credit. Also two very successful MMA fighters have black belts from this organization-Renzo Gracie and Renato "babalu" Sobral. The head of this organization is the son of the late Carlos Gracie, who was really the founder of BJJ, and cousin to Royce, Rickson, Royler, Renzo, etc...

BTW: I had to pay separately for the GI...$145...the XBOX 360 was a worthy sacrifice to pay for it...

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Instruction wise, you can't go wrong training at Barra. Some politics to worry about, however but that shouldn't affect you too much. Good luck training!

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm training at GB San Clemente with Flavio Almeida. A real good friend trains with Nelson Monteiro in Encinitas. I get the LE/Military discount, I'm pysched!!!

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Gracie Barra schools in Florida are a little pricey and most of the other Gracie type schools (ex:Royce Gracie banner) are dominant over them in NAGA and other local tourneys. Barra seems to cater to all walks of life while some of the other clubs are to hardcore for the normal person.

They are worth a look at least.

defkon1

White Belt
Reaction score
Defkon One Fighting and fitness AND Gracie Barra Villa Rica
is located is Villa Rica Ga, The instructor is a Jose Junior Black Belt under
the Great Master Carlos Gracie Jr. >The school is located behind the post office on bankhead or hwy 78 on Community Sq Blvd. Come out and to the best instruction in Brazilian Jui Jitsu that you can get on the west side of GA or East side of Alabama.We also offer Kickboxing and MMA training being taught to the 1 and only UFC tuff 6 Blake Bowman. Besides the the MMA, Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, we offer Kids JIU JITSU and Cardio Kickboxing.For more information call the school @ 678-840-5995 or click on the link :
http://www.Graciebarravillarica.com
http://www.defkonone.com

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The Gracie Barra schools in Florida are a little pricey and most of the other Gracie type schools (ex:Royce Gracie banner) are dominant over them in NAGA and other local tourneys. Barra seems to cater to all walks of life while some of the other clubs are to hardcore for the normal person.

They are worth a look at least.

Really? Here in Socal GB does quite well at the tourneys...both my instructor (Magid Hage Blackbelt from Bahia Brazil) and his former instructor (Marcelo Pereira) are former PanAm champions, I think Pereira won it three times...

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Gracie Barra Jax and Gracie Barra Orlando are the only two I'd be into. Those are the only parts of Florida I'd be in, besides Pcola. Been training for the past month and I'm loving it.

allenjp,
I'll be at the World's this weekend. PM me if you'll be there. I'll tell you how to find me.

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna try and be there. I'll just have to see how it pans out in other ways. I knew about GSP too.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have just started my training with a Gracie Barra School as of 2 weeks ago, and I love it. I observed the classes for a long time before joining and my son is training at the same center. The cost at this center is approx. $125, and it is only offering classes on tuesdays and thursdays. I don't know what part of California you are in but I would reccomend Gracie Barra. My instructor is a Brazilian named Magid Hage, with several BJJ championships to his credit. Also two very successful MMA fighters have black belts from this organization-Renzo Gracie and Renato "babalu" Sobral. The head of this organization is the son of the late Carlos Gracie, who was really the founder of BJJ, and cousin to Royce, Rickson, Royler, Renzo, etc...

BTW: I had to pay separately for the GI...$145...the XBOX 360 was a worthy sacrifice to pay for it...

Correction guys, I got it wrong...This price is for unlimited lessons, four nights a week Mon, Tues, Thurs, & Fri. Great price as far as I'm concerned. And the Gi is very high quality...well worth the price.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just perusing the Gracie Academy website, and found this:

The worldwide demand for Helio Gracie’s art spurred many sport jiu-jitsu practitioners to leave Brazil in order to capitalize on the increased demand for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu instruction. Due to legal restrictions on the use of the trademarked name “Gracie Jiu-Jitsu,” these instructors began using the name “Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu” as an alternative.
The influx of sport jiu-jitsu instructors, many of whom were members of the very large extended Gracie family, led to the establishment of numerous jiu-jitsu schools all across the United States. Nearly all of these schools claimed to teach the same jiu-jitsu that was created by Grand Master Helio Gracie and used by Royce in the UFC when in fact they were teaching a version of the art that was modified specifically for sport competition. Students hoping to acquire the realistic self-defense skills they saw in the UFC flocked to these schools and often trained for several years before they came to the disappointing realization that what they were learning had very limited street applicability.

Anybody heard of this apparent rift between the Gracie Academy and other BJJ organizations? It seems they are saying that even those that bear the name Gracie are not necessarily to be included with "pure Gracie Jiu Jitsu". Does anyone know if Gracie Barra would be one of those organizations that they claim focuses on sport instead of street effectiveness? Is that why we don't train striking at Gracie Barra? Anyone???

Latest Discussions