GPS systems for your car?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent and inexpensive GPS system?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Base level models from both Magellan and Garmin are around $200 if you catch them on sale. One thing to watch for is "hidden" update costs, which I've been told are pretty fearsome on TomTom. From my experience, the biggest difference between the Magellan and Garmin brands really is interface, and almost a matter of personal taste. Try to get a chance to actually play with the unit a little bit in the store, and see what works for you. For example, Garmin lets you enter a street, then look for the city -- which is great if you're changing destinations on the fly, and only are given the street name and general area. Magellan starts with the city by name or ZIP. I have a Magellan Maestro 3100, and it's worked fine for me. (You might check the car rental companies; I think Hertz uses Magellan's products for their NeverLost. It might be practical to "test drive" the GPS on a trip or with a few hours of a rental.)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I print directions from the internet and my wife reads them to me :p. I actually just got GPS help on my cell phone for when I really need it, it's cheaper than the ones for the car.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm an avid geocacher, so my GPS unit isn't a car unit, but a portable.

I just upgraded from the Garmin Etrex to the CX76. Love it!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found in Today's Buy.com deals email...

Garmin StreetPilot C330 Portable GPS System w/ Preloaded Maps - Refurbished - 010-N0401-10 - $129.99 FREE SHIPPING

205583800.jpg

In my opinion, Garmin makes the best GPS systems. They have been in the business for years! I won't buy any other brand. I have the Garmin c330 and the Garmin etrex.

The C330 is far easier to use than the GPS in my girlfriends Cadillac STS, that thing sucks ***.

Latest Discussions