Good Kobayashi DVD

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
If any of you are training with the Kobayashi Aikido group, I recommend to buy the DVD of Kobayashi sensei. It's VERY good, I see many techniques there that is not common in other Aikido dojo, such as pressure points attacks, leg locks (yes, LEG SUBMISSIONS), leg takedowns (yes, LEG GRAB TAKEDOWNS like in wrestling!), foot sweeps (yes, FOOT SWEEPS like JUDO!).

Kobayashi sensei shows many many techniques, you can pretty much get many ideas on how to use Aiki techniques (and some decidedly non Aikido techniques) for self defense.

I don't practice Aikido, but I like this DVD very much! So I guess I will extend the recommendation to all Aikido-ka as well. You all will not be disappointed!

PS: For you Kobayashi Dojo members, I'd really wish to know, what other martial art(s) Kobayashi Yasuo sensei learned in addition to Aikido? Because many techniques I saw at his DVD cannot be found in any other Aikido dojo. Some are similar to Hakko-ryu, other like Judo.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very likely, some of his technqiue is Daito Ryu.
If you look at the older Yoshinkan, you will see things that are no longer done in Aikido also - not even Yoshinkan any more. I might look into this DVD. Thanks.

It also sounds a lot like Kuniba's Goshin Budo.

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
Very likely, some of his technqiue is Daito Ryu.
If you look at the older Yoshinkan, you will see things that are no longer done in Aikido also - not even Yoshinkan any more. I might look into this DVD. Thanks.

It also sounds a lot like Kuniba's Goshin Budo.

Hello Jim san.. there is a technique, very strange, is shown in Kobayashi sensei's DVD. It shows a submission technique, Kobayashi trip Uke face first to the tatami then submit his Uke by pulling on one of his big toe!

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Thanks for this review!

You are most welcome mr. Moderator. I was rummaging through my sensei's video collection and found this one. He still has more videos, maybe if I ask nicely I can entice him to write reviews of his videos.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you help me on which and where I could get this DVD? I live en Denmark, so stores here don't usally carry this.

/Yari

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh oh, I can't read the Kanji characters on that DVD. Sensei got it from a friend whose Dojo is affiliated with Kobayashi sensei. Let me search for some clues in Google.com hang on!

Is it against some kind of copyrite laws if I post some pictures from the DVD here? I can capture some frames from it..

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does it have any kind of reference number? So I could search on that? But sharing a picture of a copy doesn't sound like a copy right breach.

/Yari

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yari said:
Does it have any kind of reference number? So I could search on that? But sharing a picture of a copy doesn't sound like a copy right breach.

/Yari

Here, some video clips. This is geocities.com so the web server are very easily crowded. If this link doesn't work (transfer rate exceed) try it again within 15-30 minutes.

www.geocities.com/john_lord_b3/unusual_aikido.zip

I hope no one are offended, If there are any objections regarding this clip due to copyright issues, I'll take it down immediately!

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I looked at the clip, and that looks as some interessting techniques. Reminds me of techniques done in jujitsu.

I would still like to get hold of this DVD........ If there is any production numbers, names, please post.

/yari

Latest Discussions