Goju Ryu karate

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. New to this awesome website. I just wanted to ask if there was anyone who practices Karate that could recommend any stretches and balancing improvement tips for a beginning white belt. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stretching all your joints (ankles, knees, hips, waiste, shoulders, elbows wrists and neck.) is preferable. Goku ryu has a lot of low stances so leg stretches may help.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For balancing... when you take your shoes and socks off, don't sit down. Stand on one foot, pick your other foot up and take off the shoe and sock, then do the other. It just takes a few seconds and its something you do every day. (unless you are one of those guys that sleeps with his shoes on...) If you have to start by doing the shoe first then the sock, start there. Once you get good at taking them off... try putting them on while standing on one foot.

I know it sounds silly, but over time it will really help you with your balance.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another thing you can do to help balance. If you like watching tv or anything of the sort you can take a chair. While standing next to the chair you can stand on one leg and have the chair to your side. You can put one or two fingers on the chair or slightly above the chair to help you without completely taking away the challenge. From this position you can improve standing on one leg. You can rotate your ankle that's off the ground or your knee, or even practice kicks all while watching tv. Although I'd be careful with the kicks in the house for obvious reasons.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. That's an awesome idea. I'm not trying to rush my journey but I do want to be as fundamentally sound as I can so I'm gonna try it. Much gratitude.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't have to. Take all the time you need. As long as you put effort into it the instructor should be happy.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For balancing... when you take your shoes and socks off, don't sit down. Stand on one foot, pick your other foot up and take off the shoe and sock, then do the other. It just takes a few seconds and its something you do every day. (unless you are one of those guys that sleeps with his shoes on...) If you have to start by doing the shoe first then the sock, start there. Once you get good at taking them off... try putting them on while standing on one foot.

I know it sounds silly, but over time it will really help you with your balance.

Definitely appreciate this. And will be putting it into practice.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all. New to this awesome website. I just wanted to ask if there was anyone who practices Karate that could recommend any stretches and balancing improvement tips for a beginning white belt. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The fictional Miyagi Do style featured in the Karate Kid franchise is based on Goju Ryu. I also train in Goju Ryu and while I don't have access to a rowboat to do blocking exercises the way Daniel was while standing on the rowboat I do use a BOSU ball. I stand on the edges of the flat part of the BOSU ball and do blocks. It really helps to develop balance.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a fairly specific Gojuryu warmup...junbi undo that has been passed down from the days of Chojun Miyagi. A google search will pull up some written descriptions and videos.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We actually do some of these warm ups. The ankle roll looks beneficial as well as the inner thigh stretch. Definitely add these to my morning routine.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some Bill Superfoot Wallace videos on YouTube to help with kicking flexibility.

I think it is 2 or 3 videos.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Never quite heard of this one but I like it. We do use a similar type of exercise in class where we drop our gloves on the floor and while standing on one foot, bend down to pick them up one at a time, rinse and repeat. What I like about your example is that I can do it everyday while I am not in class. Good suggestion.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been doing Goju Ryu for about two years now. From my experience what I really like about Goju Ryu is the blocks, the defense. I've done other styles and so far Goju Ryu has among the strongest defense out of all the styles I've done.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ah...a fellow Goju Ryu practitioner. I definitely want to talk with you about Goju Ryu.

Latest Discussions