Go go gadget Treasury Bonds!!

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last year before the crash I had bought into a couple of mutual funds and (idiot!) a REIT. I still own the shares and I know they'll come back, but it's time to bring in something more conservative too. I'm making a radical departure from my past investment style. My income, such as it is, is highly dependable. But it's nowhere near enough and I want the backup of regular dividends. If I don't need the dividends at the time I can always reinvest as I go.

I used to have a real passion for following the markets. An unexpected benefit of the MA (don't ask, I don't think I could explain it) has been rekindling that. It's exciting. I used to follow individual stocks, but I'm more into following trends these days. I even found a faux "stock market" website and set up an index of my own.

If anyone is interested in discussing it, how have you adapted your investment strategies over the past 8 months?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took my 401(k) money out of the stock market in May 08. Put it in cash and inflation-indexed bonds. I've averaged a 2% return since the beginning of the year. I started putting money back into small-cap stock mutual funds in May 09 and am up 40% since the beginning of the year. However, the bulk of my 401(k) money is still in money market (cash) and will remain there for awhile longer.

I'm a contrarian investor. It has served me well. I never listen to pundits or experts about investment advice, I only do what I want to do. I figure I'm smarter than all those knobs, and so far, I'm right.

I bought Ford stock in March 09 at $2.20 a share. It is at $8.00 or so last time I checked.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, my 401K dropped by 50% last year. Good thing I'm only 36. Both my parents hit 65 over the last few months. I'm shocked that my did quit working - he's a banker, and he'd know better than anyone that it's the worst possible time to start depleting those accounts. Of course I retired at 28, so it's not as if I have room to talk.

I'm on an investment forum too and it's all so complex that it leaves me spinning sometimes. There's no end to the options one can pursue, and the theories behind each possible path. Another good reason to go conservative for a while until I get my bearings.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, According to the "money guy" on TV..."Howard"

This maybe a good time to get back into the Stock markets...since most stocks have drop in value....means you will be buying these same stocks at this lower value prices.....right now....!

They will go up back to where they were close too in the future....we took ours out earlier..and went back in...notice a big growth so far...

Always Buyers beware here......Research this farther....

Aloha,

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Put all my money in my house. The house is almost paid for!!! And the cars are paid for!

Yes I have 2 retirements, one a state one, the other one my company has. And my wife has her own retirement.

But guys, pay off your house and car. Live debt free. Make sure you have health insurance if you can buy either the company you work for or what you can purchase.

Funny thing is, I've wondered why some smart guy (or gal) doesn't start a company for self employeed people. Get enough to sign up and negoitiate with an insurance company that sells insurance to cooporations. Just start your own corporation with all these self employed people as 'employees' and they get insurance that way.

Anyway, get your finances in order. Backup some money to pay the bills for a few months (in case you loose your job) and then, only then, think of retirement funs.

Deaf

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
But guys, pay off your house and car. Live debt free. Make sure you have health insurance if you can buy either the company you work for or what you can purchase.

There are many paths up the mountain to financial solvency/independence. Under the circumstances I think I've done exceedingly well.

Funny thing is, I've wondered why some smart guy (or gal) doesn't start a company for self employeed people. Get enough to sign up and negoitiate with an insurance company that sells insurance to cooporations. Just start your own corporation with all these self employed people as 'employees' and they get insurance that way.
That already exists in one form. It's called the Freelancers' Union. They offer several group health and retirement plans. If I ever pull off my own home business I hope to join up too.

Anyway, get your finances in order. Backup some money to pay the bills for a few months (in case you loose your job) and then, only then, think of retirement funs.

Deaf
One career I contemplated for a while was community ministry - helping low income folk to empower themselves with financial advice. I'm not into preaching philosophy but helping someone improve their lot is a powerful spiritual gift for both giver and recipient. I'd need a lot of schooling, including financial education and a Divinity degree, and that scared me off from it. I help friends sometimes though.