Global warming dials up our risks, UN report says

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing. But our planet was pure and unpolluted, now it is damaged by man. My reasoning is the natural occurring cycles will be worse, not better, because of mans negligence.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing. But our planet was pure and unpolluted, now it is damaged by man. My reasoning is the natural occurring cycles will be worse, not better, because of mans negligence.

But they will happen none the less always have always will.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But they will happen none the less always have always will.
Just that in the past the changes have been gradual. I won't be around to see the worst of this but my grandchildren will. It is them that this generation has let down.
:asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just that in the past the changes have been gradual. I won't be around to see the worst of this but my grandchildren will. It is them that this generation has let down.
:asian:

Its still gradual even the most aggressive disaster models are still using 100s and 1000s of years in its predictions.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its still gradual even the most aggressive disaster models are still using 100s and 1000s of years in its predictions.
Mmm! No. Most of the predictions are for the next 85 years, i.e. end of century.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mmm! No. Most of the predictions are for the next 85 years, i.e. end of century.

Do you know what this shows us...that global warming alarmists are getting smarter in making their false predictions...al gore made the mistake of predicting the dread outcomes well within our lifetime...so when the warming paused, or stopped, their was no real explanation for it so they had to change the term from global warming to "climate change" to keep the money train rolling.

With your prediction of 85-100 years, it is far enough away that we will be dead before they are proven wrong, and close enough that it allows them to scare everyone into doing what they want...massive taxes, "family planning" in the third world, reduction in technological advancement....

They are just learning from their mistake...the same way when that erlich guy predicted massive overpopulation in 1984 that would lead to massive social disruption, starvation and destruction...he made the mistake, like gore, of predicting the outcome in the lifespan of the people who were living...and they were able to see how bad his predictions were...

You really have to stop buying the snake oil...it isn't a cure...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is from your own article you cited

Antarctica’s ice sheets hold enough water to raise sea levels by 58.3 meters (191 feet), though that’s not likely for thousands of years, according to the latest estimate from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

Antarctic Sea Ice Hits Record Levels

According to Australia's National Snow and Ice Data Centre (NSIDC), Antarctic sea ice grew by a record amount this April, increasing by a rate of more than 110,000 sq km (42,471 sq miles) per day to a total of nine million sq km (3.5 million sq miles).

The NSIDC said that rapid expansion also continued into this month, and the seasonal cover was now bigger than the record amount "by a significant margin".

The previous record was set in April 2008, but this year has surpassed that by 320,000 sq km (123,552 sq miles).

The biggest growth in sea ice occurred in the Weddel Sea area, with temperatures one or two degrees below average for this time of year.
The increasing ice cover in the Antarctic has surprised many scientists. Last December, a ship carrying climate scientists got stuck in an ice pack about 1,500 miles south of Tasmania. Getting stuck in record ice cover was especially ironic, given they intended to document how ice had decreased thanks to global warming.

The record ice levels will make awkward reading for the NASA scientists who today said that the Antarctic ice shelf is in the process of collapsing and that the Antarctic ice melt appears "unstoppable".

Eric Rignot, lead author of the report, said: "Today we present observational evidence that the [ice sheet] has gone into irreversible retreat. It has reached the point of no return."

He blamed global warming for the phenomena, but also admits that the entire west Antarctic ice sheet could have melted some 500,000 to 600,000 years ago – without the help of man-made global warming.

Soooo...I don't remember anyone taking a day off of pumping green house gases into the air...and yet...we're breaking ice records in the Antarctic...

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True but we are possibly making it worse. If not, thhen why not just throw out all environmental laws? We don't need them.

Why make sweeping whole sale changes that could destroy the economy because we are possibly making things worse?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why make sweeping whole sale changes that could destroy the economy because we are possibly making things worse?

You can't eat money.

BTW, that is typical, the assumption that the economy would be destroyed by 'going green' and being more mindful of the environment instead of doing things as they have always been.
That was the battle cry in the 80s, when California lead the charge to put catalytic converters in cars and go unleaded...I can still hear the cries from the automakers, the hardship it would cause....
Now, thirty years later...we are still driving cars, the smog is less in LA, and the troubles the automobile industry had were not caused by catalytic converters.

How can it possibly harm the economy when you develop new industries?
When you recycle more and use less? Come up with NEW ideas, instead of having cars overheat in the summer sun, park them under a roof of solar cells that power the establishment....

Since the mid 19th century we have gone hot and heavy on the fosil fuels, We are still burning oil like it's a never ending resource, those are carbon compounds that had been locked away for millions and billions of years, we are decimating old growth forests (AKA rainforests) at an alarming rate (I don't see it as a plus when Brazil expanded sugar cane production manifold. Their only way to do that is to burn down rain forest.) Again, those trees have been storing carbon for many many decades, when burned this is all released back into the atmosphere.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't eat money.
You can't eat anything without it.
BTW, that is typical, the assumption that the economy would be destroyed by 'going green' and being more mindful of the environment instead of doing things as they have always been.
That was the battle cry in the 80s, when California lead the charge to put catalytic converters in cars and go unleaded...I can still hear the cries from the automakers, the hardship it would cause....
Now, thirty years later...we are still driving cars, the smog is less in LA, and the troubles the automobile industry had were not caused by catalytic converters.

How can it possibly harm the economy when you develop new industries?
When you recycle more and use less? Come up with NEW ideas, instead of having cars overheat in the summer sun, park them under a roof of solar cells that power the establishment....

Since the mid 19th century we have gone hot and heavy on the fosil fuels, We are still burning oil like it's a never ending resource, those are carbon compounds that had been locked away for millions and billions of years, we are decimating old growth forests (AKA rainforests) at an alarming rate (I don't see it as a plus when Brazil expanded sugar cane production manifold. Their only way to do that is to burn down rain forest.) Again, those trees have been storing carbon for many many decades, when burned this is all released back into the atmosphere.
So when the US starts taxing carbon emissions and places like Mexico don't where do you think what's left of the factories in the US will go? When we purposely raise gas prices making in almost impossible for people to drive to work what are people going to do? When we tax electric companies who pass on the bill to people that can barley pay the heat bill now then what?

I'm all for any energy that is cheap. Green red blue black I don't care what color the energy is as long as it's cheaper then it is now. If green energy was cost effective companies would flock to it but it's not. At least not yet.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also my other hobby is restoring and wheeling Jeeps. You know how many older cars cant be registered in Cali now because of these stupid rules? Guys spend tens of thousands of dollars restoring vehicles only to fail smog inspections and cant get registered. All it turned into was another form of taxes.
My states requires emission testing as well (excpet in a few counties Im exempt where I live). I could stop 50 cars a day and issues tickets for expired emission tests making millions for the state. its about $ not the environment

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also my other hobby is restoring and wheeling Jeeps. You know how many older cars cant be registered in Cali now because of these stupid rules? Guys spend tens of thousands of dollars restoring vehicles only to fail smog inspections and cant get registered. All it turned into was another form of taxes.
My states requires emission testing as well (excpet in a few counties Im exempt where I live). I could stop 50 cars a day and issues tickets for expired emission tests making millions for the state. its about $ not the environment

OMG, my hobby gets restricted....

You sound like billie, eff the Gulf states, as long as the oil is flowing.
And I think we have established that Cali is nuts. Although you do have to admit - however begrudgingly - that the car industry didn't collapse because of the introduction of the catalytic converter...THAT, my friend, was the point. Not the red tape that gets strung everywhere.
And seriously, it takes fines (or taxes) to make people vere off the beaten path, because, well, you can't tell an American that they are doing it wrong....:rolleyes:

But don't listen to Eurotrash like me....:)

BTW, there is a lot more wrong with Cali than just the old jeeps not being allowed....I mean...most of the state is nearly a desert...why do they have GREEN lawns and golf courses....water is precious and getting more so in the South East as we speak....

Yep, a lot of man made problems, because there is no long term foresight. Folks like Billie resisting science at every turn, kicking and screaming....

Here, I'll make it easy for you: Blame farmers. That always works. Chesapeak Bay Pollution, CO2 and methane emissions, antibiotics and resistant germs, animal abuse, ground water pollution....
</sarcasm>

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OMG, my hobby gets restricted....

You sound like billie, eff the Gulf states, as long as the oil is flowing.
And I think we have established that Cali is nuts. Although you do have to admit - however begrudgingly - that the car industry didn't collapse because of the introduction of the catalytic converter...THAT, my friend, was the point. Not the red tape that gets strung everywhere.
And seriously, it takes fines (or taxes) to make people vere off the beaten path, because, well, you can't tell an American that they are doing it wrong....:rolleyes:

But don't listen to Eurotrash like me....:)

BTW, there is a lot more wrong with Cali than just the old jeeps not being allowed....I mean...most of the state is nearly a desert...why do they have GREEN lawns and golf courses....water is precious and getting more so in the South East as we speak....

Yep, a lot of man made problems, because there is no long term foresight. Folks like Billie resisting science at every turn, kicking and screaming....

Here, I'll make it easy for you: Blame farmers. That always works. Chesapeak Bay Pollution, CO2 and methane emissions, antibiotics and resistant germs, animal abuse, ground water pollution....
</sarcasm>

That was one example of many to show the regulations are not about the environment and more about money the state gets to collect. And the car industry did collapse if it wasnt for the Govt bail out they would be alot less of them today.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was one example of many to show the regulations are not about the environment and more about money the state gets to collect. And the car industry did collapse if it wasnt for the Govt bail out they would be alot less of them today.

So you bring your inconvenience into play when it has zilch to do with the topic....

Yes, OMG the bail out...20 years after the CAT...sheesh...I am sure it was Obama's fault that they made that mandatory nearly all over the world...minus China, which is now repeating every single ecologic mistake the West had made 30 and 40 years prior....

The point is, the economy will adapt.
It always has. Sometimes it took some growing pains, but hey...It's called 'the cost of doing business' strange concept. I know.

Ok, what can I say: Environment friendly solutions are a growing industry. Which is another term for 'economy'

Of course, some changes have to occure, first and foremost in the minds of people.
Oh, nothing big, but simple things:
Like not throwing everything away, but recycle whatever is possible. Why, you ask? Simple: It's called resources. The plastic we bury in the landfill each year could safe us from spending millions and billions on new oil made materials. Cardboard and paper are easily recycled, it's been that way for decades. Glas can be used for so much more than road constructions (yeah, retarded laws make that the only option now in more than one state....oh, here is an idea, ship the crap to China instead...the containers are largely empty as it is...)

You get the drift...
Eh....NVM....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you bring your inconvenience into play when it has zilch to do with the topic....
Wasn't mine I don't live there. It was an example of using bogus green laws to make more money for the state. Which it what most solutions to the doom and gloom I hear. They usually involve me paying more for stuff for no reason.
Yes, OMG the bail out...20 years after the CAT...sheesh...I am sure it was Obama's fault that they made that mandatory nearly all over the world...minus China, which is now repeating every single ecologic mistake the West had made 30 and 40 years prior....
I didnt blame Obama for anything so tone it down some
The point is, the economy will adapt.
It always has. Sometimes it took some growing pains, but hey...It's called 'the cost of doing business' strange concept. I know.
The growing pains you so casually toss aside are real families loosing jobs and homes. But I guess it's the cost of doing business. We better make big changes for a problem we can't even say for sure we caused and have no idea if these cuts will even work.
Ok, what can I say: Environment friendly solutions are a growing industry. Which is another term for 'economy'
Like I said make it work and make it cheap and I'm on board. Also stop making products like gas with corn in it that kill engines and cost me more money to replace them and rise my food prices
Of course, some changes have to occure, first and foremost in the minds of people.
Oh, nothing big, but simple things:
Like not throwing everything away, but recycle whatever is possible. Why, you ask? Simple: It's called resources. The plastic we bury in the landfill each year could safe us from spending millions and billions on new oil made materials. Cardboard and paper are easily recycled, it's been that way for decades. Glas can be used for so much more than road constructions (yeah, retarded laws make that the only option now in more than one state....oh, here is an idea, ship the crap to China instead...the containers are largely empty as it is...)
Great go for it. I choose to burn my trash but to each his own.
You get the drift...
Eh....NVM....
Yeah never mind why bother

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you know what it is Ballen...back before we all had to "adapt" because they started taxing everything and forcing things on us for our own good, a family could live well on one adult working...and do well. Now...the economy has adapted, and both parents have to work, sometimes more than one job each, and the kids are raised by everyone but the parents...because they both work...but we adapt...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, skeptics are not allowed...

From K-Man:

It is a scientist saying that the findings need to be questioned and that evidence needs to be properly evaluated. I would suggest that that is exactly the position of mist reputable scientists.

Yeah, not so much...

Breaking: The Climate Mafia Strikes | Power Line

Well, the climate Mafia wasn&#8217;t going to let Bengtsson, and, to mix metaphors, the Climate Inquisition went into overdrive. Today, Bengtsson transmitted his resignation from the GWPF, describing the intense pressure the intolerant climate establishment exerted on him to recant over the last 48 hours:
Dear Professor Henderson,

I have been put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety. I see therefore no other way out therefore than resigning from GWPF. I had not expecting such an enormous world-wide pressure put at me from a community that I have been close to all my active life. Colleagues are withdrawing their support, other colleagues are withdrawing from joint authorship etc.

I see no limit and end to what will happen. It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy. I would never have expecting anything similar in such an original peaceful community as meteorology. Apparently it has been transformed in recent years.
Under these situation I will be unable to contribute positively to the work of GWPF and consequently therefore I believe it is the best for me to reverse my decision to join its Board at the earliest possible time.
With my best regards
Lennart Bengtsson

What was all that stuff about just looking at the facts...

Latest Discussions