Gibson Guitars "suggested" to leave US in a court related document

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At 10:34 in this video ... in a document related to this case... the US government tells a US owned & operated company that they would be better to move to Madagascar to continue making its product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1OBD...layer_embedded

I don't like Gibson guitars in a from a playability standpoint, but I'm seriously considering going & picking up a Les Paul or SG or Explorer or Flying V today just because of this.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree with all that you say there, Sean, except for the bit about actually playing Gibson's :lol:.

I know that their standards have dropped in recent years by all accounts but I have always favoured Gibson's over Fender's. A friend of mine at work bought a Telecaster this week, purely by coincidence ... I told him I'd bring in my Gordon Smith SG so he could see what a real guitar looked like :D.

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh... they just don't fit my hand. They never have. I had a Washburn LP that was discontinued due to Gibson threatening lawsuits that worked for me because the neck fit my hand. But straight Gibson necks just don't feel right to me.

Honestly now to buy one isn't to play. My hands are too goofed up to have the dexterity they used to have & I enjoyed. Now it's just to raise the middle finger to Washington & scream "**** YOU".

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Quite right too re your last sentiment there :thumbsup:.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Eh... they just don't fit my hand. They never have. I had a Washburn LP that was discontinued due to Gibson threatening lawsuits that worked for me because the neck fit my hand. But straight Gibson necks just don't feel right to me.

Honestly now to buy one isn't to play. My hands are too goofed up to have the dexterity they used to have & I enjoyed. Now it's just to raise the middle finger to Washington & scream "**** YOU".
I Played a gibson kit bass just the other day. And I liked it, plus anything to p*** off the govenment. No just gotta work a few side jobs to get the cash.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another successful jobs program of the Obama Misadministration

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am I the only one being put off by the 'we poor people, all because we are republican' spiel the CEO puts forth?

I understand that that is what gets you in the news these days (and I would not be surprised if there was not a surge in purchases of Gibson guitars right now...)

I really want to hear the other side of the story...but since that is obviously ongoing, it won't happen so we are left with more 'poor republicans being harassed' ?

No, seriously?

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one being put off by the 'we poor people, all because we are republican' spiel the CEO puts forth?

I understand that that is what gets you in the news these days (and I would not be surprised if there was not a surge in purchases of Gibson guitars right now...)

I really want to hear the other side of the story...but since that is obviously ongoing, it won't happen so we are left with more 'poor republicans being harassed' ?

No, seriously?
Not quite sure about the poor Repub thing. My issue is with them raiding Gibson and not lets say Taylor just down the highway. They both import the same wood from the same supplyers.
So why is one singled out and not the other?
As far as the CEO goes isn't it his job to do what he can to keep the company profitable? Until charges are filed the only thing he can do is fight it in the press. If for no other reason than to call attention to the situation so it doesn't fall under the 30 second memory of the public, so he can try to keep the doors open.

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Probably

Actually it was no different 6 years ago... and I'll probably be purchasing a Gibson in the immediate future if it helps flip a finger DC way

Well until an appropriate substitute can be found for the Democrats to have something to wail about, yeah probbably.

No, seriously?

Seriously.

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not quite sure about the poor Repub thing. My issue is with them raiding Gibson and not lets say Taylor just down the highway. They both import the same wood from the same supplyers.
So why is one singled out and not the other?

Testing the waters with the kid that currently isn't popular but can be picked on, maybe? The thing is, if they pull it off here, they will pull it off where ever they can.

As far as the CEO goes isn't it his job to do what he can to keep the company profitable? Until charges are filed the only thing he can do is fight it in the press. If for no other reason than to call attention to the situation so it doesn't fall under the 30 second memory of the public, so he can try to keep the doors open.

Yep... and bring to light the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably

Actually it was no different 6 years ago... and I'll probably be purchasing a Gibson in the immediate future if it helps flip a finger DC way

Well until an appropriate substitute can be found for the Democrats to have something to wail about, yeah probbably.

Seriously.

Nope, too convinient.

It's too popular to point the fingers at DC and cry foul.

So before I jump on the band wagon of 'poor Gibson' I reserve judgment til actual facts are known.

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, too convinient.

So before I jump on the band wagon of 'poor Gibson' I reserve judgment til actual facts are known.

Understandable position & reason for it... but what if....

By the time the actual facts are known, it's too late. It's already done. If it's done once, it can & will be done again. Then what?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Understandable position & reason for it... but what if....

By the time the actual facts are known, it's too late. It's already done. If it's done once, it can & will be done again. Then what?

Chicken Little approach.

I have seen a story of 'poor me' hitting the media. Looked really good on the glossy paper, too. Too bad I actually knew the back ground to it. The 'poor Me' was actually the aggressor in the story. Just that his house ended up being blown off the foundation when he was on vacation.
I can only imagine the amusement his neighbors had whom he bullied for years. If they were half as amused as me, they were rolling on the floor with laughter. I always thought unless somebody got stupid drunk, the perpetrators would never come to light, in retrospect he might have set the house up himself, just to get out. Yep, it was THAT bad....

So I don't tend to jump on those sappy stories anymore. Especially in this climate when there are so many of the right crying everytime somebody does not agree with them.

it could very well be that Gibson is dirty to the hilt, buying wood not only of the gray but also black market, involve child labor and what not. The 'we are targeted because we are republican' is just silly! The company is not THAT big...besides, did they not already outsource their cheap stuff?!

It does not make any sense to me.
Not like I could not be wrong, but it just does not look as it is being presented.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, too convinient.

That's crazy talk. Everyone knows that Alex Jones is an unimpeachable source of information.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't like Gibson guitars in a from a playability standpoint, but I'm seriously considering going & picking up a Les Paul or SG or Explorer or Flying V today just because of this.

Back in the days of my youth one of the best electric guitars I ever played was a Gibson Les Paul....of course it was an older model that had the neck leveled and frets polished but it had that best action I ever felt and it was incredibly easy to play and sounded great.... of course I did not pay them the $500 they wanted for it at the time so I did not buy it... but it was amazing. Which leads me to I have tried a few Gibson Les Paul guitars since and none played anywhere near as good as that one did... maybe that's why I don't play guitar much anymore and now play the Didgeridoo....Damn Gibson...its their fault :uhyeah:

But with that said look at this

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chicken Little approach.

As opposed to the Ostrich technique.

I have seen a story of 'poor me' hitting the media. Looked really good on the glossy paper, too. Too bad I actually knew the back ground to it. The 'poor Me' was actually the aggressor in the story. Just that his house ended up being blown off the foundation when he was on vacation.
I can only imagine the amusement his neighbors had whom he bullied for years. If they were half as amused as me, they were rolling on the floor with laughter. I always thought unless somebody got stupid drunk, the perpetrators would never come to light, in retrospect he might have set the house up himself, just to get out. Yep, it was THAT bad....

Yeah ok... sounds like some great people there to begin with ... so what ever.

So I don't tend to jump on those sappy stories anymore. Especially in this climate when there are so many of the right crying everytime somebody does not agree with them.

Like left leaning have NEVER done this when there was actual law(s) being broken or at least cut microscropically close to the edge... say ACORN.

it could very well be that Gibson is dirty to the hilt, buying wood not only of the gray but also black market, involve child labor and what not. The 'we are targeted because we are republican' is just silly! The company is not THAT big...besides, did they not already outsource their cheap stuff?!

They outsource their cheap stuff. All guitar makers do. The company is not that big so against Home Depot, but they are that big a niche market of instrument purveyors.

Not like I could not be wrong, but it just does not look as it is being presented.

Then why hasn't a blanket operation been conducted against ALL domestic guitar luthiers, corporate & boutique. Where's the raids against custom wood workers or furniture makers?

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's crazy talk. Everyone knows that Alex Jones is an unimpeachable source of information.

Don't give a crap about the guy conducting the interview.

He had Henry Juszkiewicz on live & Juszkiewicz brought that information forward, not Jones.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chicken Little approach.

Agree it's silly. Like you said they aren't that big and a swat team for a few pieces of 3" x 36" wood seems like just a touch overkill.
And who the heck is Alex Jones? I thought he was alocal anchor from someplace else. Not that it matters this story is also being reported in other places.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903895904576542942027859286.html
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/...n-guitar-was-raided-by-the-justice-department
Based on the "mis-spoke" in the NPR article something smells like a 3 day old catfish in the sun.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As opposed to the Ostrich technique.

Yeah ok... sounds like some great people there to begin with ... so what ever.

Like left leaning have NEVER done this when there was actual law(s) being broken or at least cut microscropically close to the edge... say ACORN.

They outsource their cheap stuff. All guitar makers do. The company is not that big so against Home Depot, but they are that big a niche market of instrument purveyors.

Then why hasn't a blanket operation been conducted against ALL domestic guitar luthiers, corporate & boutique. Where's the raids against custom wood workers or furniture makers?

you have dipped into billi's koolaid!

maybe the other guys don't buy gray market wood?
Or use child labor or, or, or......

That the media guy had the CEO on the line...big whoop. Who else would go public and cry 'poor me'?

Seems to me they are being hit with a bad law from 2008....they didn't pay attention.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions