Ghie Cho Hyung Sam Bu

O

Oleg

For my next test I have to learn Ghie Cho Hyung Sam Bu form. Do you guys know where can I find more information about this form, or a video clip of this form?

Thank you.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello my friend,

It is late and my "mind went blank" about three hours ago when I put my work out of my mind...

Looked at the site for the first time just now. Cant quite make out what you are saying as the color photo beside the Choi Yong section is of the other General Choi (Hong Hi :uhyeah: )...cant seem to see the videos though.

Catch me up on what you meant...Im sure it will be good as we have shared the same side on many arguments...and opposing sides during the best!

TAEKWON, my Brother!
SpooKeY

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just was commenting on the fact that they put in a picture of the wrong Gen Choi there. :uhyeah:

http://www.natkd.com/tkd_forms.htm

The patterns are directly linked off that page. The Chang Hon pattern videos presented there largely left me cold. No sine wave's to be expected, but there's no demonstrated power among other things... Looks like the learned 'em from a book and just tossed them in for the sake of having yet another pattern set.

http://www.natkd.com/movies/NATKD_Forms/Hwa-Rang.wmv

Just for example, I thought that Hwa Rang opened with a palm pushing block rather than... ?

Kinda curious how divergeant they are from your perspective. Doesn't look like anything on Mr. Anslow's site for example. Most divergeant thing I saw there was what looked like a third side front block with the right inner forearm (the series that follows after turning from the elbow strike).

(Mods: Apologies if this is off topic. The various pattern divergeances just interested me too much.)

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just when you thought you had seen it all...
.................................................................................uhm.......NO!

This is the absolute worst portrayal of the Chang Hon Hyungs I can remember having seen. Who is that fellow?

Nevermind, I cant bare to know...sad-sad day!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It should work with windows media player.

Judging by the patterns I DL'ed (the ones that weren't stolen from Carbonecho.com at least, since CE actually got ITF people to do the patterns, those are ok) the school firmly beleives in hitting people in the navel. Kicks, the opening punches in Hwa Rang, all quickly tossed in the navular direction.

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the performers name is Chad Johnson, a 1st Dahn under Jason Thomas, the owner of the school. the videos were filmed last year at Grandmaster Rudy Timmerman's school.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I am somewhat curious about what the application for that first move in Hwa Rang is as it's performed by Mr. Johnson. Looks like there's some element of dynamic tension going on there, and there must be a reason that the opening's done like that in that school, but since I've never seen anything like that, I'm afraid it's stripped my imagination.

There's obviously some theory driving how the patterns have diverged in this case, and I am interested in the underlying reasons for such shifts. (For comparison's sake, the link to Master McHenry's forms site provides more standard versions of the Chang Hon patterns.)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
For comparison's sake, the link to Master McHenry's forms site provides more standard versions of the Chang Hon patterns.
And for the sake of those who do the Taeguek series, the performer shown on Master McHenry's site is GM LEE, Chong Kwan. He is the Teacher of Teachers....

Miles

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i cant speak for Mr. Thomas or Mr. Johnston as i have only met them both briefly, however the versions i learned of those patterns are much different. my lineage is through grandmaster Park Jong Soo and when he taought me Hwa Rang, it was with a fast palm strike to the upper mid section. all kicks were also done to either the upper mid section or head, dependant on your flexibilty.

Latest Discussions