Getting over squeamishness

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It surprised me quite a bit when I began having trouble getting into the spirit of training last night. Normally I think nothing of training techniques that simulate punching, kicking, elbowing, etc. for SD scenarios--even when the result could well be maiming or death of the BG. But this time we were learning to use a kubiton, in this case, a pen specifically designed to alternate for SD. We could hold the pen in certain ways to adapt existing SD techs, or use it independantly as a weapon. The mere thought started making me queasy when the instructor pointed out areas of the body vulnerable to a pointy pen kubiton.

I am not sure how to get past this mentally. I know it smacks of hypocrisy on one level. But I am having a hard time training the pen techs, even though I can recognize their value and the near-universal handiness of pens.

Thoughts?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That`s never easy because you`re a polite,civilized person used to dealing with polite,civilized people. And that`s a good thing.

One thing that might help is a little visualization to get you "in the mood" before training. By that I mean something that puts some emotion into your training. Anger usually trumps fear or squeamishness. Everyone has thier own trigger, you`ll have to find yours.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It surprised me quite a bit when I began having trouble getting into the spirit of training last night. Normally I think nothing of training techniques that simulate punching, kicking, elbowing, etc. for SD scenarios--even when the result could well be maiming or death of the BG. But this time we were learning to use a kubiton, in this case, a pen specifically designed to alternate for SD. We could hold the pen in certain ways to adapt existing SD techs, or use it independantly as a weapon. The mere thought started making me queasy when the instructor pointed out areas of the body vulnerable to a pointy pen kubiton.

I am not sure how to get past this mentally. I know it smacks of hypocrisy on one level. But I am having a hard time training the pen techs, even though I can recognize their value and the near-universal handiness of pens.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is a quick fix, other than practice. The practice may make the squeamishness go away, it may not....but what it will do is train your body and mind to work around the squeamishness.

I think I was the opposite. I had a lot of squeamishness issues with the empty hand scenarios. I performed Parting Wings for my yellow belt test (rotating curriculum, obviously). My instructor was uke, so when it came time for that final hand sword, I aimed for just below the neck and landed a solid shuto right in to the upper part of his breastbone. The strike ended with "thud" that sounded so sickening, the sound of it and the feel of it rattled me for awhile. My unease may have been amplified by the fact that it was my instructor...someone who I had really come to respect and appreciate.

It does get easier! But how much and how fast depends on the individual IMO. :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Visualise that the bad guy has just slapped your mother .

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That is a GREAT point! In Tom Patire's CDT video, he has a woman performing a nerve strike on a bad guy (Patire's assistant), and Patire thinks she doesn't have enough "attitude". It shows. It is not that she is half-hearted about it, she is performing the moves and doing them correctly. But she is clearly not at ease doing it.

So, Patire calls over the woman's teenage daughter and has her lie on the ground. Patire then has his assistant stand over her daughter, and then asked the mom to perform the same series of moves. The unease was gone from mom's face! :D

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pumpkin season is getting close.
Buy a couple of pumpkins, draw a face on them, and then mutilate them with a kubiton :)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just at the stage where I learn techniques and how to apply them vis one and two step sparring and some jiyu ippon kumite. But I know I will eventually do total free jiyu. I admit the thought of it and i do get queasy. But I remember that I am in a great dojo where I am being trained well with people who care and I am learning to apply all my techniques first in the ippon stuff and will make sure I don't have a problem with it when i move on to the advanced stuff down the road. :)

Thats how I will deal with queasiness.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just visualize something subhuman. If a situation has escalated to the point of me looking for force equalizers or force multipliers in order for me to go home, the opponent has devolved from a rational human being to something less than animal. At that point, there's nothing queasy in my mind about what has to be done.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is pretty much a key point. Having to perform an action without incorporating the cause for action, can makes it very difficult to execute. You haven't combined the mental motivation for the physical action. While there's never a gaurantee on how any of us will react, once you incorporate a threat into the scenario, you'd be surprised what you can do. Stimulate your mind. Think of something that would motivate you into action. Good or bad, you will almost certainly have a different result and "squeemish" will not likely be among them.

I had the same problem when I was taught how to take someone's eye out with my finger. It was disgusting! Right up until I visualized someone assailing one of my kids.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not heard of a self defense pen, it sounds interesting. I think that most hand held tools are an just an extension of your hand. Maybe by practicing, I don't know how practical this is, the same techniques with an empty hand or using a machine washable marker may help. I had problems with ground techniques, they made me feel extremely uncomfortable. After a while I came to realize that training in something you may find uncomfortable, with people you trust, is probably the most important thing you can do. That way when the bad guy attacks that uncomfortable feeling will be one less thing to worry about.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kelly pretty much any pen, pencil, or short sticklike object can be made to work as a kubiton, but the pens etc. that are specially designed as such, are much more effective--metal, heavier and less likely to break, better penetration, even thumb grips built into key areas to help. I like my Surefire pen for this, but of course I'm biased:)

Latest Discussions