Getting back into Martial Arts and thinking about Jeet Kune Do

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is the nature of a lot of drills. The point of a drill is to place you in a position that you have to do the thing. But there is no rule that says you have to force that position.

Same thing happens to us with guard passing. You can just stand up and walk away.

I can definitely see the relationship in BJJ and the ground game. There are positions where there are many options.... It also depends on the energy that is being provided back to which way is better to go... Unless you muscle the movement.... and force it. As you get better you feel the energy and go with the option that presents itself. And when you even get better... you are feeding a certain energy to have your opponent present that option that you are looking for. I see this happening in other spots... trapping etc... Chi Sao... certain fma drills.
After you drill so many times... things become natural... it just happens... Awesome feeling when you dedicate the time as a martial artist developing skill and seeing it happen by itself.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here.. and it's great to be here.

I have some physical and health limitations and I'm very unfit.. as in overweight. I do have some experience in the past with martial arts but I am looking to learn a new style and visit some schools in my area that fits my needs after the virus outbreak is done (whenever that will be).

As a older guy pushing close to 50, I know that reading and researching everything is key.. and I Thank You to those who have posted here in this forum as I have been learning "a lot" since joining the forum here today.

From what I keep seeing there is two "branches" of JKD Jerry Poteet and Dan Inosanto. If I am mistaken about that, please correct me.

I keep on coming back to JKD, because I believe that it will be the most adaptable in regards to my own physical / health limitations, so "to me" it does not matter if the lineage that I study is from Jerry Poteet or Dan Inosanto as long as what is being taught is adaptable for me. From what I understand in regards to the instructor of the school that I am strongly considering.. it is.

Any further tips or past experence that you could provde to me.. I would appreciate it. Thank You for your help and time.
Poteet was a student of Inosanto. There are many families of JKD. But to get the most from jkd it is best to train fitness, agility, speed, and interception. All of which will require time moving and jumping around a bit.

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jerry Poteet was an Ed Parker Student and so was Dan Inosanto. Several students under Ed Parker started to train with Bruce. Both Jerry and Dan were in that realm. When Bruce was not teaching as much... he left Dan in charge of the LA China town school teaching the early lessons of JKD. While Bruce also held a small group in his back yard. I know many people took some classes under Dan but did not regard themselves as a Student of Dan's. In fact many of the people who had the opportunity to train in Bruce's back yard gave up going to Dan's JKD run class. I don't recall Jerry ever saying he considered himself a student of Dan's. Although all these guys did learn from one another.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
There used to be some very experienced JKD folks on MT, but I have not seen them on here for awhile.

JKD there are basically 2 sides of the JKD fence, the Jerry Poteet side and the Dan Inosanto side. I trained on both sides briefly and liked both, Poteet side first Inosanto side second. I started after 50 and would still be at it if it were not for an eye issue and my hips and knees.

Jerry Poteet side is basically teach what Bruce taught. The Dan Inosanto side is teach JKD concepts. However Dan Inosanto stresses learning what Bruce taught first before getting into concepts

But both pretty much have the same approach and same basic concepts

If you are lucky, you can find instructors that teach both Jun Fan and JKD, for that exact reason, the best instructors often learned both because they wanted to follow Bruce's tao the same way he did, hoping to have the same insights.

Learning JKD without Jun Fan can seem a bit wonky, just like anything heavy on theory and light on detail.

For this reason I've practically forgotten a lot of fist sets I've learned, almost on purpose. I can't remember a thing about Jun Fan other than the fundamentals, but damn if I haven't mastered the art of seeking formlessness.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just make sure it is real JKD, most are, but occasionally you get a person that trained a bunch of styles, none of them JKD, but decides they will call it JKD because they combined different styles like Bruce Lee did :rolleyes:

The theorycrafting in some JKD circles dwarfs some of the worst Wing Chun theorists.

The common thread between these schools is usually the lack of useful sparring.

Philosophy is all well and good right up the moment of an empirical punch to the face. I'll bet you know exactly what I mean.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you are lucky, you can find instructors that teach both Jun Fan and JKD, for that exact reason, the best instructors often learned both because they wanted to follow Bruce's tao the same way he did, hoping to have the same insights.

Learning JKD without Jun Fan can seem a bit wonky, just like anything heavy on theory and light on detail.

For this reason I've practically forgotten a lot of fist sets I've learned, almost on purpose. I can't remember a thing about Jun Fan other than the fundamentals, but damn if I haven't mastered the art of seeking formlessness.

First teacher I was with, very briefly, knew both, the second teacher (posts occasionally on MT) I was with =, even more briefly, was his student and had also trained with some of the 1st generation folks, so I believe he knew both as well. The 3rd (also brief time training) was the Inosanto side and I am not sure if he had and Jun Fan or not. He did have a lot of Wing Chun, that I know. But it was all way to brief, age, infirmity and prior conditions made me stop. Kind of the train, get injured and not be able to work anymore, or stop and continue working thing. But it it is a great art and a great fighting style IMO.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions