Getting back into Martial Arts and thinking about Jeet Kune Do

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here.. and it's great to be here.

I have some physical and health limitations and I'm very unfit.. as in overweight. I do have some experience in the past with martial arts but I am looking to learn a new style and visit some schools in my area that fits my needs after the virus outbreak is done (whenever that will be).

As a older guy pushing close to 50, I know that reading and researching everything is key.. and I Thank You to those who have posted here in this forum as I have been learning "a lot" since joining the forum here today.

From what I keep seeing there is two "branches" of JKD Jerry Poteet and Dan Inosanto. If I am mistaken about that, please correct me.

I keep on coming back to JKD, because I believe that it will be the most adaptable in regards to my own physical / health limitations, so "to me" it does not matter if the lineage that I study is from Jerry Poteet or Dan Inosanto as long as what is being taught is adaptable for me. From what I understand in regards to the instructor of the school that I am strongly considering.. it is.

Any further tips or past experence that you could provde to me.. I would appreciate it. Thank You for your help and time.

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm the only one here in the forum it seems. :D I wonder where everyone else is? Looks like there were a lot of posting in here at one point...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There still is a decent amount. I think your post just got missed somehow. Is there anything in particular you're asking for tips about?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, myself am 50 in a few weeks, and been practicing martial arts since I was about 14ish, you will find that people are pre occupied at present, but will answer soon, my knowledge of JKD, is limited to a basic understanding of the concept, and some training with practioners of the JKD process,
Give it a ittle time, and members will answer your questions, or engage in conversation, its just times are difficult at present.
You say you are getting back into martial arts, what did you train before, and what peaked your interest in JKD?
There are many people on here of our age, and older, many diverce opinions and idealologies, and a wealth of experience, look forward to chatting, and discussing everything martial arts.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just overall experiences... do you take JKD and Kempo/Kenpo ?
So I actually no longer train in any form of ken/mpo. I believe it's been about 4 years since I did, give or take a year. But my main style at the moment has been kali, as a result I ended up training with a couple JKD/WC people (there's a lot of overlap there) and also tried a month at a JKD/silat place.

From what I've observed, there tends to be two types of JKD, with their own attitudes that go with it. The first seems to be people that seem to think they discovered some amazing secret by fighting southpaw, but their sparring at the very least looks like kickboxing just...southpaw. No idea if there training is different, but that's how it ends up looking. The second looks kind of like Wing Chun MMA, focused mostly on speed and handstrikes, but with more focus on sparring then WC, and quicker footwork (from what I've seen, I am no expert on WC). The sparring tends to show this as well, and these are the ones who seem more interested in kali.

I'm a fan of the second type I listed, and the first type I wouldn't call myself a fan of, but I also don't dislike it. I do dislike the attitude some have towards kickboxing or sport arts, but that's a whole nother argument.

Keep in mind that the above is extreme generalizations, based on my experiences with about 10 people tops. The best advice I could give is, once this is all finished, go check out the club near you, but also feel free to check out the karate dojos you mentioned and see which atmosphere you like the best. You could find the best club/art in the world on paper, go to a class and discover you either hate the art, or the atmosphere, and all that research was wasted.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every post you make you talk about physical limitations. Don't go into any class with that attitude and make excuses for not so good performance. Now maybe your disabilities or whatever it is will hinder you but maybe they won't you'll only know that once you start. When you get on the mat forget any health issues and excuses and just try your best. Of course if you can't do it you'll have to make adjustments and speak to the instructor but if you go in there saying I can't do this I can't do that because of this because of that. You will be putting limitations on yourself mentally just go in there and see what happens of course if while in there you realise you can't dowhatever move then yes of course don't do that move or do something easier and don't do any permanent damage but what I'm saying is don't go there with a negative mindset

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here.. and it's great to be here.

I have some physical and health limitations and I'm very unfit.. as in overweight. I do have some experience in the past with martial arts but I am looking to learn a new style and visit some schools in my area that fits my needs after the virus outbreak is done (whenever that will be).

As a older guy pushing close to 50, I know that reading and researching everything is key.. and I Thank You to those who have posted here in this forum as I have been learning "a lot" since joining the forum here today.

From what I keep seeing there is two "branches" of JKD Jerry Poteet and Dan Inosanto. If I am mistaken about that, please correct me.

I keep on coming back to JKD, because I believe that it will be the most adaptable in regards to my own physical / health limitations, so "to me" it does not matter if the lineage that I study is from Jerry Poteet or Dan Inosanto as long as what is being taught is adaptable for me. From what I understand in regards to the instructor of the school that I am strongly considering.. it is.

Any further tips or past experence that you could provde to me.. I would appreciate it. Thank You for your help and time.

There used to be some very experienced JKD folks on MT, but I have not seen them on here for awhile.

JKD there are basically 2 sides of the JKD fence, the Jerry Poteet side and the Dan Inosanto side. I trained on both sides briefly and liked both, Poteet side first Inosanto side second. I started after 50 and would still be at it if it were not for an eye issue and my hips and knees.

Jerry Poteet side is basically teach what Bruce taught. The Dan Inosanto side is teach JKD concepts. However Dan Inosanto stresses learning what Bruce taught first before getting into concepts

But both pretty much have the same approach and same basic concepts

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every post you make you talk about physical limitations. Don't go into any class with that attitude and make excuses for not so good performance. Now maybe your disabilities or whatever it is will hinder you but maybe they won't you'll only know that once you start. When you get on the mat forget any health issues and excuses and just try your best. Of course if you can't do it you'll have to make adjustments and speak to the instructor but if you go in there saying I can't do this I can't do that because of this because of that. You will be putting limitations on yourself mentally just go in there and see what happens of course if while in there you realise you can't dowhatever move then yes of course don't do that move or do something easier and don't do any permanent damage but what I'm saying is don't go there with a negative mindset

Whoa there...well now.... You presume in regards to myself referring to my "physical limitations", that it encapsulates everything about me including some sort of over all negativity before I even start? Let me clarify something to you..

Martial Arts has always been around me since I was 7yrs old, from neighbors of mine to even family members. In regards to the Kempo/Kenpo that I learned, after getting to purple belt, at that time I left that Dojo because of a combination of people that I didn't like and I studied for years after that privately in regards to Mitose Kenpo, I learned the pluses and minuses of that Martial Art really well, and even to learn the "full" history of how it came to be.

After that, I studied Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan (TaiJiChuan) from three instructors from direct lineage of the Yang Family, including the real martial applications of each movement from that form. I then learned Aikikai Aikido, and my Sensei at that time also taught real modern applications from that style, not just traditional. At that time, I still was not in the best in shape.. but I could hold my own against black belts of other styles no problem with the training that I had (and still have).

I also have training in regards to traditional to modern weapons, including firearms.

I did not post all of that detail initially anywhere on site here, because I'm humble..I wanted to see what people said about the styles that I am interested in and see what they would say after my post. I maintain honesty and integrity in everything I do and sorry admitting that I do have physical limitations is nothing that I am ashamed of and it's not any sort of "negative mindset that you are implying".. I know for a 100% fact I'll end up in one school or the other. The main reason why I am going back into it is to get back into better shape, keep motivated and focused on going forward. And hopefully have some great times with some great people. I really don't care about making ranks (belts) nor impressing anyone. That's the real deal. ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whoa there...well now.... You presume in regards to myself referring to my "physical limitations", that it encapsulates everything about me including some sort of over all negativity before I even start? Let me clarify something to you..

Martial Arts has always been around me since I was 7yrs old, from neighbors of mine to even family members. In regards to the Kempo/Kenpo that I learned, after getting to purple belt, at that time I left that Dojo because of a combination of people that I didn't like and I studied for years after that privately in regards to Mitose Kenpo, I learned the pluses and minuses of that Martial Art really well, and even to learn the "full" history of how it came to be.

After that, I studied Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan (TaiJiChuan) from three instructors from direct lineage of the Yang Family, including the real martial applications of each movement from that form. I then learned Aikikai Aikido, and my Sensei at that time also taught real modern applications from that style, not just traditional. At that time, I still was not in the best in shape.. but I could hold my own against black belts of other styles no problem with the training that I had (and still have).

I also have training in regards to traditional to modern weapons, including firearms.

I did not post all of that detail initially anywhere on site here, because I'm humble..I wanted to see what people said about the styles that I am interested in and see what they would say after my post. I maintain honesty and integrity in everything I do and sorry admitting that I do have physical limitations is nothing that I am ashamed of and it's not any sort of "negative mindset that you are implying".. I know for a 100% fact I'll end up in one school or the other. The main reason why I am going back into it is to get back into better shape, keep motivated and focused on going forward. And hopefully have some great times with some great people. I really don't care about making ranks (belts) nor impressing anyone. That's the real deal. ;)
Ok...don't know why you told me your life story because I really don't care.

I gave my advice obviously you're not going to take it so cool no skin off my nose. You don't need to puff your chest out to me my friend. I'm not the guy who gets impressed by name dropping

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok...don't know why you told me your life story because I really don't care.

Respectfully, that is certainly the case especially as implied from what you initially wrote.

And I'm not "name dropping" nor "puffing my chest" I'm just correcting your original statement to who I actually am, not what you encapsulating me to be judged off of one my posts on the physical limitations that I have. If anyone is being a bit judgemental, is you.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happy Tiger, I've trained some Jeet, trained some Kempo, learned a lot from both.

Go have some fun, brother. Well....when everything reopens.

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Happy Tiger, I've trained some Jeet, trained some Kempo, learned a lot from both.

Go have some fun, brother. Well....when everything reopens.

Thanks bro.. I think Kenpo/Kempo is awesome but I'm still leaning towards to JKD side.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks bro.. I think Kenpo/Kempo is awesome but I'm still leaning towards to JKD side.

Just make sure it is real JKD, most are, but occasionally you get a person that trained a bunch of styles, none of them JKD, but decides they will call it JKD because they combined different styles like Bruce Lee did :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions