Getting Back Into M.A.

HosMan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a newbie here. I`ve been out of any martial arts for years and years but in high school I took Tae Kwon Do (brown belt) and in the mid 90`s I trained in Goju Ryu (yellow belt).

I`m really looking forward to getting back into some type of martial art in the near future. Mainly for exercise and for a hobby/passion. Since I am 47 and will be soon having a grastric bypass operation I think I will want something that emphasises real world skills (jeet kune do,serrada escrima,akido,etc.) along with back friendly techniques.

Any advice or tips you guys and gals could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

HosMan
Lodi,CA

P.S. I am also on a budget since I am a single father.

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a newbie here. I`ve been out of any martial arts for years and years but in high school I took Tae Kwon Do (brown belt) and in the mid 90`s I trained in Goju Ryu (yellow belt).

I`m really looking forward to getting back into some type of martial art in the near future. Mainly for exercise and for a hobby/passion. Since I am 47 and will be soon having a grastric bypass operation I think I will want something that emphasises real world skills (jeet kune do,serrada escrima,akido,etc.) along with back friendly techniques.

Any advice or tips you guys and gals could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

HosMan
Lodi,CA

P.S. I am also on a budget since I am a single father.

Welcome to MT. Kenpo has many realworld skills and is a great form of self defense. You may want to look into it as well. The rest on your list great as well. Instead of looking for just escrima, also look for "kali".

OP
H

HosMan

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. Sjansen,I did a bit of sniffing on the net and I really think Kenpo could be what I am looking for. Not sure if it is offered in my area but I`m going to check. Thanks for the tip!

Arnisador, other than Tae Kwon Do I think my best bet would be Escrima. There are a few dojos in my town(Lodi) and in Stockton. I`m still researching though.

I guess my big stumbling block will be the $ factor. To me all styles have their own beauty and a big part of why I wish to train again is about learning a particular art form and seeing myself growing in a particular martial expression (does that even make sense?). Keep all the tips,hints and advice coming please!!

God Bless
HosMan

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions