Getting a tattoo

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, sort of. I made the decision a year ago and I keep chickening out. :uhyeah:

But it would be a semi-sleeve, chronicling the last ten years of my life. It would be a meandering arrow starting at my wrist, going up to my shoulder with various symbols representing things that have happened along the journey. The top at the shoulder would be blank, representing the open promise of the future.

My tattoo decision has taken on a new dimension since the passing of my friend last month. He had two gorgeous and intriguing sleeves. They were such show-stoppers that his artist paid him to accompany him to conventions, where he often drew crowds. I couldn't imagine a better tribute.

So I'd love to hear from others about this for feedback. What tattoos you you have, and what was behind the decision? How did you choose an artist? (An aspect I'm not taking lightly.) And how have your feelings about your tattoos changed over the years?

I realize some tattoos are intensely personal, so I'm not trying to pry. Just gathering info for my own decision.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, sort of. I made the decision a year ago and I keep chickening out. :uhyeah:

But it would be a semi-sleeve, chronicling the last ten years of my life. It would be a meandering arrow starting at my wrist, going up to my shoulder with various symbols representing things that have happened along the journey. The top at the shoulder would be blank, representing the open promise of the future.

My tattoo decision has taken on a new dimension since the passing of my friend last month. He had two gorgeous and intriguing sleeves. They were such show-stoppers that his artist paid him to accompany him to conventions, where he often drew crowds. I couldn't imagine a better tribute.

So I'd love to hear from others about this for feedback. What tattoos you you have, and what was behind the decision? How did you choose an artist? (An aspect I'm not taking lightly.) And how have your feelings about your tattoos changed over the years?

I realize some tattoos are intensely personal, so I'm not trying to pry. Just gathering info for my own decision.

I have one on each forearm. A self-designed dragon right that celebrated my first BB and my son's name and birthdate left. I have had both for some years and because they were not driven by prevailing fashion and but rather by my personal circumstances, I still wear them very proudly.

I am no expert at all and but I chose the artist by recommendation of a friend at the time. And but it is very much like choosing your MA school - visit first, look at their work and absolutely go with your gut first reaction. Though different for everyone, the pain is tolerable and no worse than you imagine. Be calm and relax and have some sugary gum or cola to hand in case your levels drop.

Have you got it clearly pictured in your head or on paper? I am excited for you! I hope you get some good feedback, lots of people here have them Jenna x

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a "USMC" on my left forearm, it looks just like my Dad's. I have a "Son of Ireland" Celtic knot on my right forearm. I got that just because I felt like it. Turned out later on that my family's passed-down history of our heritage was incorrect; my DNA showed that our family is straight from Wales (actually matches the Welsh name 'Madoc'), supposedly an ancestor. Funny, but I guess a Celtic knot still sort of makes sense, Welsh are Celts after all.

I don't have much ink, but I go to a lot of tattoo conventions, I like to take photos. Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The main thing holding me back has nothing to do with the pain factor. It's the "am I still going to be proud of this 60 years later when someone is wiping my butt at the nursing home?"

And since this is time-sensitive, am I still going to want a constant reminder of the 2000 decade 60 years from now? The answer that I'm going by now is that it was a painful time in my life that I survived and ultimately prevailed against. I want the constant reminder that if I could survive that, I can survive anything.

One of my friend's tattoos was an outline done with a very thin white line, virtually invisible. I'm thinking I could do that as a starting point, and then fill it in later if or when I feel ready.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Once you have a tattoo, it just becomes part of you. You think a lot about it before you have it. After you have it, you notice it for awhile. Then you stop thinking about it. Here I am 25+ years down the road - I don't even think about mine. They have spread out and gotten fuzzy and changed color a bit. Don't really care, they're just there. Part of me, nothing to really spend time thinking about. I know people think a lot of about how they'll feel down the road. I don't know many people who think about it when they get down the road. It just stops being the concern that it is upfront. The few people I know who have had tats removed have done so pretty quickly; or they do it years later because it said something stupid that they regret. Just try to avoid getting FTW and other such BS. You might well regret that.

By the way, many people become addicted to getting ink. The needle causes pain, but the body reacts by pumping you full of endorphins. The burn becomes something some people dig. Just sayin'. And ink takes awhile. Keep that in mind. It's not a fast process.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome idea, I would say like you mentioned, take time to find the right artist, and don't be afraid to pay to get an awesome tat.

am I still going to be proud of this 60 years later when someone is wiping my butt at the nursing home?"

I'm almost positive you won't care and neither will anyone else.

Who walks around living their life for when they're 90?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a "USMC" on my left forearm, it looks just like my Dad's. I have a "Son of Ireland" Celtic knot on my right forearm. I got that just because I felt like it. Turned out later on that my family's passed-down history of our heritage was incorrect; my DNA showed that our family is straight from Wales (actually matches the Welsh name 'Madoc'), supposedly an ancestor. Funny, but I guess a Celtic knot still sort of makes sense, Welsh are Celts after all.

I don't have much ink, but I go to a lot of tattoo conventions, I like to take photos. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thats a good approach for a tat. None of mine reflect my ancestry. Ancestry is interesting. On my mothers side (Spain) we are also part Celt. The first known peoples of present-day Spain were the Celts and the Iberians, the Celtiberians. But as history would go with all the conquests they became serious mix of peoples.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been in the same boat as you Flea..

I don't want to go with the whole sleeve, but i do want to get a classic Superman Symbol on my arm..IDk if I want the right or the left yet. Instead of the classic Red and yellow..i was just going to get the S and shield part black and the yellow background can just be skin color.

Superman was a big part of my childhood, and still reflects into my adult life. I always say superman is the best roll model, because he isn't real, so he can't be imperfect and faulted...Truth, and Justice are always good roles to live by.

I decided that I am going to go and get it after the summer season...I was told you can't go swimming in a pool a few weeks after you get a tattoo...and since its in the heart of summer right now...FORGET THAT..lol..I wanna go swimming when I want, but when it starts to get cold again..or just when the pools close..i think i will just man up and go.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Superman was a big part of my childhood, and still reflects into my adult life. I always say superman is the best roll model, because he isn't real, so he can't be imperfect and faulted...Truth, and Justice are always good roles to live by.

Wow Payne, that sounds perfect. The way I see it, since I'm right-handed I chose my right arm because it's like putting my best "foot" forward. Making a more assertive statement to the world than if I used my left arm.

I had a slightly frustrating day yesterday, going to two nearby tattoo shops for consultations. Each told me to come back later with more details, when I was hoping they would make suggestions. Le sigh. I have an appointment with someone named Splat on Tuesday, but I think I'll put it off because I'm still working on my symbols. I love what I've come up with so far, but it's not anywhere near what I'd consider complete.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The main thing holding me back has nothing to do with the pain factor. It's the "am I still going to be proud of this 60 years later when someone is wiping my butt at the nursing home?"

And since this is time-sensitive, am I still going to want a constant reminder of the 2000 decade 60 years from now? The answer that I'm going by now is that it was a painful time in my life that I survived and ultimately prevailed against. I want the constant reminder that if I could survive that, I can survive anything.

One of my friend's tattoos was an outline done with a very thin white line, virtually invisible. I'm thinking I could do that as a starting point, and then fill it in later if or when I feel ready.
I got my last tat in 1986 when I was a bit of a differant person. You bet there are regrets. Today I need to get a couple to "cover up" what should of "never been."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got my last tat in 1986 when I was a bit of a differant person. You bet there are regrets. Today I need to get a couple to "cover up" what should of "never been."

I am guessing you are not talking about putting a bikini on a nekked lady....

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
See, that's exactly what makes me nervous about the whole venture. I know I'm going to be a different person ten years from now, just as I was a different person ten years ago.

That's why I wanted to start simply with a white outline first with the idea of growing into it for a while. But I've spoken with a couple artists and they've discouraged me for a few excellent reasons. Mostly because it has a tendency to pucker up like scar tissue - precisely what I'm trying to get away from. That, and they say it fades away very quickly for most people.

I guess this'll be a long term project after all. I like long term projects anyway.

Edit: Sorry, I tried to delete the image after attaching it but it didn't happen. Enjoy a scarry-looking tattoo! *bletch*

Attachments

• $white.jpg
    $white.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 138

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
probably a good reminder why one should maybe start small with the ink....

I have been contemplating getting a small one...but frankly the idea of being some old hag in 3o or so years with a tat is not appealing....so I guess I will stick with the ones I steal from my kid....after a week or so they wear off. ;)

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking of tattoos, my search turned up a very cool ad campaign for organ donation:

$tattoo organ donor.jpg

Pretty eloquent on many levels. Theres another one for Westboro Baptist which would probably be instantly recognizable even in France.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you are looking at this very methodically Flea and I think this is actually a really interesting way to discern what is important to you and what is not and which we seldom do I think. I mean if you deem a tattoo subject something that in later years you may conceivably regret then the implication is that it is has no longevity or significant importance in your life. Whereas if you deem it ok to be inked on then you are saying it is a lifelong facet of Flea.

On the other hand, we all change. I like those folk whose bodies are almost living records of their lives, triumphs and perhaps even failures. For we grow by and through (and are products of) both triumph and failure. I think often what we deem a failure we subsequently conquer thereby redefining it as triumph.

Anyway, it is just a tattoo. It never disappears and but eventually it fades. At that point it is up to you to get it reinked or have a cover-up or get it lasered or whatever. And but right now it is right for you.

I wish you well in making your decision though :)

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as its something that means a lot to you, right now...and its not a significant otehrs name. (unless of course, its like a husband/father of your children that died or something to that nature) then i think you will really like what you get..be sure to shop around, and also ask some artistic friends for advice. My girlfrield is actually drafting up a version of my origional Karate patch, so I can, one day get it tattooed somewhere...(the style was my instructor's family style, and only taught it to a select few, so it is very special to me.)

Heck I am sure some folks on here are artsy enough to help with ideas.