German Gary Lam student

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nicely put together! I enjoyed the angles & awesome quality shots of course good Wing Chun as well. :)

OP
C

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
As much as I would love to post more stuff on Gary, I don't think there are much clips available flimed by his students. I have lots of private clips of Gary in action, but I,m prevented from doing so due to agreements between Gary & his video distributors. It's one of those legalities thing which I don't want to get myself into. It's a shame, because in some clips, when Gary is on form, he looks like Donnie Yen in the Ip man movie -- only Gary can do it for real!

MJM: yes, he likes pak-saus, simply because it's very effective. But if you look carefully, he actually applies the pak & tan, the control of the elbow, the reverse tan-dar, the lap-sau, etc., -- in essence, the tools of wing chun.

I know some people will say that it doesn't look like that when your opponent is really trying to hit you. Well, I have seen it when some foolish people have try to hit good wing chun people at full speed & power...and I guarantee it does look like that. The only reason why we don't demo at full power & speed is we would also have to respond at full power & speed...then the dummy -- ops, sorry, I mean partner -- would get injured, and also we would not be able to show the flow between different tools. It would be boring to watch because the guy would go down after the first attack.

Any way, I will try to post some of my clips when I have the opportunities to film them. I know I have said this before, but 1) I'm a little camera shy 2) I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to filming & wing chun. Many years ago, when we use to practice gwoh-sau almost at full power, I wanted very much to post the clips that we'd filmed, but the only thing that prevented us was the fact that in those days it was very hard to post clips on the net -- this was before Utube. I really thought it was the dog's ding dong! Looking back, I'm glad I didn't post those clips because since my comprehension has improved in wing chun, I now know what we were doing then was no more than 'brawling' and it wasn't very good wing chun practice at all! LOL

Latest Discussions