General Karpinski Demoted

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
General Karpinski was busted a rank, to colonel, for shoplifting. Oh, yeah, there was a 'Dereliction of Duty' charge too, but, apparently, she five finger discounted some cosmetics from the PX a number of years ago (when she was originally a colonel), and that charge was included in her reprimand and demotion.

Seems to me that it detracts from the seriousness of the abuse charges (if you are willing to conceed that she is not being scapegoated - a charge I think may still have merit).

The news report also indicates a number of officers were reprimanded officially; three majors get written reprimands, three captains will stand before courts-martial, two lieutenants will stand before courts-martial, there will be two officers who receive 'other-than-honorable' discharges, and a few other reprimands.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7752395/

It is strange that the names of the officers go unreported. But we all know they name 'Lyndie England'.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Strange that they would include an old charge of shoplifting in the demotion. The way it sounds she was promoted after the shoplifting offence, and then now is being demoted and they bring it back up.

I don't know enough details to comment on her guilt or innocense but that is just plain odd.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Strange that they would include an old charge of shoplifting in the demotion.
It sounds like they didn't have the courage to simply penalize her for her actions. That's disappointing. What a red herring!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Theres a few NCO's between the PFC and the first officer in the chain of command that have a lot to answer for IMO.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the letter of leadership yes. However, NCO's are the "first line" supervisors and are supposed to be responsible for the "day to day" stuff....I cant fathom how squad leaders and platoon sergeants didnt know this was happening.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to believe that someone sent the "wink wink, nudge nudge" message that this was acceptable and in fact encouraged behaviour, as it was believed that it helped with the interrogations. How explicit that was I can't say.

I don't disagree with you at all, but the "This type of thing is unacceptable in my outfit" message must start at the top.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but if the CO believed this was all "acceptable" and within policy then perhaps somebody at CIA or higher needs to bear some responsibility. I just cant believe these people are letting themselves be photographed....stupid.

Just cant figure how the "lowest" and "highest" get dinged and everybody in between gets a pass....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, all points with which I agree...but especially, why let yourself be photographed? That's just bad sense whether you think it's right or wrong--it's bad strategy.

Latest Discussions