Funny fight stories

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bruce Lee died while filming The Game of Death. It was released many years later (truly AWFUL movie) in 78 or so. But we really wanted to see it.

So twenty something of us went to the opening. All Martial Artists, many of whom were cops. I was working in an "overnight arrest unit for juvenile offenders" at the time. Worked the two A.M to ten A.M shift. All of us met there. (big parking lot)The movie started at 11 a.m in Boston's Chinatown district.

We jammed as many of us as we could into the fewest number of cars and drove to Boston. There were enough tickets left, but none together, mostly single or double seats, scattered throughout the theatre.

So we bought tickets and everyone just looked for seats, we were all scattered about. Three of the guys got to sit together right in the middle of the theatre. In front of them were five gang bangers, making a hell of a lot of noise and generally being A- holes. The three guys with us asked them, politely, to quiet down. You can figure how that went. The five gang bangers are now standing and pontificating and threatening and generally being gangsters.

The whole theatre is focused on these goings on. The rest of us are watching, sitting sideways in our seats, pretty much in a sprinter position, ready. Truth be told, our three guys could have probably handled these five gangsters. But the gangsters went over the seats at our three guys. And we swarmed. We were climbing over people and running, screaming, diving into them.

It was a beating of epic proportions. Heck we were even hitting ourselves trying to get these guys. Three were cuffed right here, mostly unconscious. The other two were dragged out by their nostrils. (seriously) The rest of the theatre was cheering and clapping like crazy.

Two of the guys had warrants on them, one had a Saturday Night special in a home made ankle holster, the others were carrying crystal meth and coke. The Boston cops were called and picked them up. It was pretty fricken awesome.

The movie sucked, oh did it suck. On of the worst movies I've seen to this day. Bruce Lee's face superimposed over whoever was playing the part in the aftermath remake.

But the experience with the gangbangers.....one of my absolute favorite memories. Kind of makes me swoon. (I know, I'm easy)

Sounds like when Sho 'Nuff and his gang stormed the theater, challenging anyone who thought they could beat "The Master." Only you guys beat them down. How would you have fared against Mr. 'Nuff and his gang, I wonder?

But in all seriousness, talk about messing with the wrong crowd. Do you think they look back at it and laugh too?

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like when Sho 'Nuff and his gang stormed the theater, challenging anyone who thought they could beat "The Master." Only you guys beat them down. How would you have fared against Mr. 'Nuff and his gang, I wonder?

But in all seriousness, talk about messing with the wrong crowd. Do you think they look back at it and laugh too?

Probably, after they poke mirrors through the bars to make sure the guards aren't nearby.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny fight stories? Yes, I have one...although it was not my fight.

I was in a bar with a friend. It was getting near the end of the night, so we had to look for something else to do. We were hanging out near the front door, discussing our options. Nearby we saw this guy (I'll just call him Brunette Guy, since he had brown hair) trying to hit on this girl. There were a couple other guys standing behind him who were his buddies. (How do I know? Because whenever Brunette Guy thought he said something clever to the young woman, he would look back at them and smile, and they would laugh.)

Then another guy came up on the other side of the woman. I'll call him Blonde Guy (for obvious reasons). He said something to the woman. Brunette Guy asked what Blonde Guy said to her; I guess he thought Blone Guy was trying to ruin his game. Blonde Guy said, "I was just asking if you were being an A-hole to her." The woman said, "He's just looking out for a friend, you know?" Brunette Guy went from 0 to 100 on the anger scale, saying it was f***ed up and out of line for Blonde Guy to say that.

Blonde Guy and some of his friends started to leave. Brunette Guy and friends followed. Right out on the sidewalk, they all broke into a fight. Brunette Guy was lunging from one guy to another, throwing punches and actually knocking 2-3 dudes down. Then he turned toward this one guy who looked to be the youngest member of Blonde Guy's crew; I'm talking he looked 12, like an out of place innocent little kid. (In fact, let's call him "the Kid.")

Well, Brunette Guy moved in with his fist drawn back...and the Kid kicked him right in the shin. Brunette Guy backed off, clutching at his leg and hobbling around. The Kid just stood there.

At this point, the fight was winding down. A couple of Brunette Guy's friends noticed him hobbling around, so they came over to his aid. They asked him what happened, and I will never forget what he said.

He pointed at the Kid and said, "This motherf***er thinks he's playing soccer!!!!"

I was in tears. What a typical thing for a sore loser to say. "He kicked me...he cheated!!!" LMAO

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's funny how I started this to hear fight stories in the dojo and it spirals into cop stories. Not complaining, I think these are funnier. :D

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee died while filming The Game of Death. It was released many years later (truly AWFUL movie) in 78 or so. But we really wanted to see it.

So twenty something of us went to the opening. All Martial Artists, many of whom were cops. I was working in an "overnight arrest unit for juvenile offenders" at the time. Worked the two A.M to ten A.M shift. All of us met there. (big parking lot)The movie started at 11 a.m in Boston's Chinatown district.

We jammed as many of us as we could into the fewest number of cars and drove to Boston. There were enough tickets left, but none together, mostly single or double seats, scattered throughout the theatre.

So we bought tickets and everyone just looked for seats, we were all scattered about. Three of the guys got to sit together right in the middle of the theatre. In front of them were five gang bangers, making a hell of a lot of noise and generally being A- holes. The three guys with us asked them, politely, to quiet down. You can figure how that went. The five gang bangers are now standing and pontificating and threatening and generally being gangsters.

The whole theatre is focused on these goings on. The rest of us are watching, sitting sideways in our seats, pretty much in a sprinter position, ready. Truth be told, our three guys could have probably handled these five gangsters. But the gangsters went over the seats at our three guys. And we swarmed. We were climbing over people and running, screaming, diving into them.

It was a beating of epic proportions. Heck we were even hitting ourselves trying to get these guys. Three were cuffed right here, mostly unconscious. The other two were dragged out by their nostrils. (seriously) The rest of the theatre was cheering and clapping like crazy.

Two of the guys had warrants on them, one had a Saturday Night special in a home made ankle holster, the others were carrying crystal meth and coke. The Boston cops were called and picked them up. It was pretty fricken awesome.

The movie sucked, oh did it suck. On of the worst movies I've seen to this day. Bruce Lee's face superimposed over whoever was playing the part in the aftermath remake.

But the experience with the gangbangers.....one of my absolute favorite memories. Kind of makes me swoon. (I know, I'm easy)

Bit off topic but I don't think the movie was that bad. Sure the footage was badly edited but it had a better plot than the majority of lees movies and better acting. Literally I find way of the dragon totally unwatchable apart from the fights. Also the locker room fight was actually very good. I wouldn't call it great but I wouldn't call it terrible either

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also just to add on did you know they actually made a game of death 2

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were working a detail walking around an area doing Terry stops and pat downs looking for would be muggers and gang bangers. We were a plain clothes unit and there were about 7 of us but it was our 1st night of the detail. In our unit there were 2 guys guys I'll refer to as "T" and "J". T is kinda a big guy J is smaller.

We walk by 3 guys leaned up against a wall smoking weed. We pull badges and tell them to put their hands on the wall. Two of them breaks to run and I tackle one. Couple guys jump in to help me.

Couple other guys tackle the second guy.

And from behind, T mistakes J for one of the suspects and grabs J in a full Nelson picking him up and shoving him into the wall all the while J's feet were kicking in the air while he yelled "same team, same team".

All that time, the 3rd suspect was just standing there watching in awe....lol.

We still laugh at that when we get together.

"Same team, same team"...:D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've posted this here at MT before, but I think it's appropriate. Not a fight per se...

A friend and I are having a few beers in a pub. He's an American Kenpo guy, I was a Kyokushin guy at the time. We're talking MA stuff, minding our own business. A guy walks over and tells us karate doesn't work, and we're too old to be doing karate (we're in our early 20s).

My friend who's 5'5 says to the guy "I bet you $10 I can kick that ashtray off your head without touching you." The guy who's at least 6' tall laughs and agrees.

The guy puts the ashtray on his head. My buddy goes in into a horse stance, yells out this ridiculous Bruce Lee kiai, and buries a side kick right into his stomach. All you hear is a loud thud, and the guy hits the floor hard. My buddy walks over, drops $10 on him and says "I lose," sits back down on the barstool and picks up the conversation right where he left off. The guy got up and walked back over to his friends who were laughing so hard at him.

The obnoxious kiai really sold it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
When my son, Jacob, was 6 or 7, he was competing in 3 person team sparring match with two other kids his age...one of which was his Sensei's son, Bryce.

Right away, my son loses his temper and just goes after the other kid way too hard and continues even after they call break. The judges stop the fight and meet and discuss the penalty.

My wife sitting on the 1st row of seats calls out to Jacob and told him to settle down and stop getting mad.

Jacob turns, points to Bryce, and loudly proclaims "Bryce told me to get mad!"

Everyone watching plus the judges turn and looked at Bryce, who nonchalantly shrugged and said "He fights better when he is mad. He becomes Jacob-a-saurus"........:D

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
They also made one called The New Game of Death. They were made with Bruce Lee imitators like the cleverly named Bruce Li and Bruce Le.
Yeah there's been loads of rip offs of game of death but the game of death 2 only had like 10 minutes of the Bruce lee character then it was killed off and the characters brother came in as the main star so it wasn't a lot of Bruce lee exploitation though of course Bruce lee gets the main credit

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah there's been loads of rip offs of game of death but the game of death 2 only had like 10 minutes of the Bruce lee character then it was killed off and the characters brother came in as the main star so it wasn't a lot of Bruce lee exploitation though of course Bruce lee gets the main credit

Oh absolutely. They use his name to draw in that first wave of people. Then once those people realize they were suckered, they spread the word.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hated this other kid, he hated me, worse. I was two years older, but he was tougher. It came to a head one night and we went at it. We're on someone's lawn, rolling around trying to beat the crap out of each other.....suddenly I yell," Dennis, Dennis, wait!" He stops, says what?" I said "smell"

The corner of the lawn we were on was where a big dog used to do his business. There were piles of it everywhere. (BIG dog) We jumped up. It was all over us, on our hands, on our faces, all over every part of our clothes, in our damn HAIR - I mean everywhere. We gagged. Then, looking at each other under the street light, we started to laugh. Couldn't stop laughing, except to say "GROSS!"

Long walk home for each of us. Had to undress in the yard and use the garden hose before going inside, had to use it on our clothes, too.

Dennis and I have been best friends ever since, for fifty two years now. Pretty much did everything in life together, trained together, travelled together, misbehaved together. One cuts, the other bleeds, that kind of best friends. Having no children of my own, his kids have been in my will from the day they were born, that kind of best friends.

Best fight I ever had. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hated this other kid, he hated me, worse. I was two years older, but he was tougher. It came to a head one night and we went at it. We're on someone's lawn, rolling around trying to beat the crap out of each other.....suddenly I yell," Dennis, Dennis, wait!" He stops, says what?" I said "smell"

The corner of the lawn we were on was where a big dog used to do his business. There were piles of it everywhere. (BIG dog) We jumped up. It was all over us, on our hands, on our faces, all over every part of our clothes, in our damn HAIR - I mean everywhere. We gagged. Then, looking at each other under the street light, we started to laugh. Couldn't stop laughing, except to say "GROSS!"

Long walk home for each of us. Had to undress in the yard and use the garden hose before going inside, had to use it on our clothes, too.

Dennis and I have been best friends ever since, for fifty two years now. Pretty much did everything in life together, trained together, travelled together, misbehaved together. One cuts, the other bleeds, that kind of best friends. Having no children of my own, his kids have been in my will from the day they were born, that kind of best friends.

Best fight I ever had. :)

Crappy way of starting a friendship. ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh absolutely. They use his name to draw in that first wave of people. Then once those people realize they were suckered, they spread the word.
Tbh I never cared much for Bruce lees movies. The scripts and acting were pretty bad. Lees skill was good and it was entertaining enough but his fights were always to one sided. I mean it's obvious in these films the good guy will win but he never got anywhere near losing. Even the chuck Norris which everyone raves about. Norris landed like 2 or 3 hits the whole fight. To me that kind of fight scenes just boring.
But lee had to much of a big ego to take to much of a beating.

I actually read that in lone wolf mquade the David caradine role was meant to go to Bruce lee and it was going to be marketed as a rematch on film. So lee would've had to lose since his would've been the villain but I doubt he'd have taken that role

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funniest experience I had (well it was funny to me at the time) was when someone who was about 180cm tried to intimidate me with his size, but had no actual physical skills to progress once that tactic failed.

I'm only 162cms, and so this bigger guy gets in my face and leans over me. As I said, he tried to intimidate me with his size. I stepped back, and put up my "fence" at the same time telling him he didn't need to get that close to talk to me. Keeping my fence up meant he couldnt get in my face again, and as I remained calm and composed the outcome he had intended (me being intimidated and submitting) was not forthcoming.

Normally what I would have expected to follow next would be him moving onto physical violence. However, as we were stood there "chatting" ;-) I realised that he didn't know what to do next, as he didn't have any physical skills. I could see the look of confusion on his face, he had never been in this situation before. Clearly he only ever tried this with much smaller people (like me) and had had a 100% success rate in the past.

Now it wasn't working he didn't know what to do next. I could almost see the cogs turning as he realised he didn't know what to do. I found it funny to the point that I started to struggle to keep a straight face as I watched the poor man struggle.

In the end I gave him a way out and the arguement ended.

I admit, not very funny to anyone else maybe, but to me, at the time, the look on his face was priceless. He could talk the talk, but couldn't walk the walk and once he came across someone who knew how to deal with his tactics, and who wasn't intimidated, he came unstuck.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tbh I never cared much for Bruce lees movies. The scripts and acting were pretty bad. Lees skill was good and it was entertaining enough but his fights were always to one sided. I mean it's obvious in these films the good guy will win but he never got anywhere near losing. Even the chuck Norris which everyone raves about. Norris landed like 2 or 3 hits the whole fight. To me that kind of fight scenes just boring.
But lee had to much of a big ego to take to much of a beating.

I actually read that in lone wolf mquade the David caradine role was meant to go to Bruce lee and it was going to be marketed as a rematch on film. So lee would've had to lose since his would've been the villain but I doubt he'd have taken that role

Well, WAY is when the quality started to get at least a little better. Some of the fights in his first two movies were just plain goofy, like the scene in CHINESE CONNECTION/FIST OF FURY where he grabs two guys and then spins around with them. LOL Than again, that movie DID also have a pretty good fight scene with that Russian guy.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:confused: You non-Americans and your metric system is killing me.

Let me see if I can figure this out....180 cm....base ten something...fuzzy math...carry the 1....voodoo economics.....

He was 8'4" and you are 4'9".....correct?
For those of you living in Liberia, Myanmar and of course, the U-S-A! U-S-A! H. :- Six foot and five 4

;)

Latest Discussions